PDA

View Full Version : UK: Government fails biking yet again as road tax increases

Bob
24th March 2006, 00:48
Despite the UK government’s own admission that “Motorcycles compare favourably to other classes of vehicles on most environmental parameters” (in their own motorcycling strategy paper), they have yet again failed to take the opportunity to promote biking as the Chancellor increased Vehicle Excise Duty on bikes in the latest budget.

VED changes will take effect from 23rd March 2006. The increased rate of duty for motorcycles will be £1 - £2 depending on engine capacity. Compare this with ZERO RATING of certain cars that meet the “very lowest emissions” criteria and a reduction in duty on the next lowest band and it is clear that motorcycling is being unfairly punished.

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG)’s Director of Public Affairs Trevor Baird said, “The green credentials of motorcycles cannot be measured simply by looking at fuel consumption, you have to consider the shape and size of motorcycles which means they can slip through traffic when cars, however fuel efficient, will be stuck.”

MAG now aims to step up it’s campaign to get all motorcycle tax reduced, with a target figure of zero.

Bob
24th March 2006, 03:17
I thought you might like to see the email I've just sent to Tony Blair, via the so-called Direct Government site.

NB. I sent this under the heading of 'Environment', as this seems to be something this government like to make themselves out to care about.

"Dear Mr Blair,

Despite the government’s own admission that “Motorcycles compare favourably to other classes of vehicles on most environmental parameters” (in your own government's motorcycling strategy paper), you have yet again failed to take the opportunity to promote biking as an environmentally sound method of transport as the Chancellor increased Vehicle Excise Duty on bikes in the latest budget.

The increased rate of duty for motorcycles will be £1 - £2 depending on engine capacity. Compare this with ZERO RATING of certain cars that meet the “very lowest emissions” criteria and a reduction in duty on the next lowest band and it is clear that motorcycling is being unfairly punished.

Can you please tell me why there are now cars that are considered to be environmentally more friendly (despite the findings of your own policy paper) and, for the first time, it is now possible to tax a car for less than a motorcycle.

I feel that this government has done motorcycling a disservice - we also have to suffer regular derogatory comments on our accident rates, but you still refuse to allow bus lane access (which would take us away from the danger zone).

So not only do you refuse us access to a safer part of the road, you now make a public statement that we are environmentally unfriendly - a direct contradiction of your own findings as stated above.

You also, during your term as EU President, refused to give bikers any assistance against the increasingly punative proposals for obtaining a motorcycle licence - proposals which, if they are accepted and made law will more than likely price motorcycling out of business.

When will motorcyclists in this country receive some help from this government? Or are documents like your "Motorcycling Strategy" merely idle rhetoric.

I await your comments with interest.

Best Regards,

Bob Pickett"

IF (and that is a big IF) I get any kind of reply, I'll let you know.

jimbo600
24th March 2006, 05:50
Jeez, I see the govt still hates bikes over there then. maybe its because they (the govt) still have this draconian view that all bikers are in fact spawns of satan and will happily murder your only child for shits and giggles. Jeremy Clarkson is probably their advisor on the motorcycling issue.

Flatcap
24th March 2006, 22:01
Jeez, I see the govt still hates bikes over there then. maybe its because they (the govt) still have this draconian view that all bikers are in fact spawns of satan and will happily murder your only child for shits and giggles. Jeremy Clarkson is probably their advisor on the motorcycling issue.

To be fair Clarkson hates the Nanny state as much as the rest of us. He just hates motorcyclists as well.

Probably cos he's a big fat bastard

wari
25th March 2006, 04:04
GOod onya Bob .. :niceone:

Lou Girardin
27th March 2006, 10:36
Bambi has a few more worries than that on his plate at the moment.
Have you also emailed his probable successor?