PDA

View Full Version : Pod filter oil breather question

Jamiepo
25th March 2006, 00:39
I am currently fixing up an SRX250 and am considering getting rid of its current airbox and fitting a pod, now if I was to do this I would fit a small breather filter on to the case, I know that the air from the case goes back into the air box and is a bit warmer does it make any difference if this air is not going inthere any more??

WINJA
25th March 2006, 11:38
I am currently fixing up an SRX250 and am considering getting rid of its current airbox and fitting a pod, now if I was to do this I would fit a small breather filter on to the case, I know that the air from the case goes back into the air box and is a bit warmer does it make any difference if this air is not going inthere any more??
KEEP THE AIRBOX, EVERYTHING IVE FITTED PODS TO HAS ENDED UP GOING SLOWER

Dodgyiti
25th March 2006, 12:25
If you are fitting pods, you are making an un-pressurized, free flowing air supply. Without reciprocating that in the exhaust flow, you will not acheive any HP, perhaps as WINJA said- They end up going slower.
I have minimal pods on one of my bikes and no guts in the mufflers, that has given an increase in HP and if I put standard mufflers back on it - it goes slower.
The best thing about fitting pod filters, I have found, is the room left where the air box used to be... for such things as after-market ignitions or tool kit room etc

Ixion
25th March 2006, 12:30
Moreover , it is almost impossible to get alternative jets for the weird carb used on these bikes. If the pods did give more air flow (which is debateable, as noted above), the jets will need increasing to provide more fuel to match. Also, on such a small engine it is by no means certain that the standard airbox/filter provides any restriction. A 250cc isn't going to need to pass the same volume of air as a 1000cc.

Dodgyiti
25th March 2006, 12:42
Oh, and dont block that tube coming out of the crankcase, unless there is some other stop valve breather box somewhere..

Jamiepo
25th March 2006, 13:43
I am doing it more for the look than for the performance, I have too strip down the bike and get it sandblasted and painted/powder coated, so I thought I may aswell hgave a bit of a play with the look of the bike. I have seen a couple of bikes from japan with the airbow removed and the covers off as well and I think that they look a lot nicer so that is my mainb reason, also if I was to get ride on the box I would either get an oil breather filter or hook the tube straight to the pod.
http://www.ysp-kokubu.com/Used/126_250/701.jpg
I want a look like this bike but with the rear fairings still on and with a red frame and wheels and mat black fairings and tank.
http://www.wemoto.com/wem/pic/SRX250.jpg
This is what it looks like rairing wise at the moment (just not in quite so good nick!!

WINJA
25th March 2006, 13:46
Moreover , it is almost impossible to get alternative jets for the weird carb used on these bikes. If the pods did give more air flow (which is debateable, as noted above), the jets will need increasing to provide more fuel to match. Also, on such a small engine it is by no means certain that the standard airbox/filter provides any restriction. A 250cc isn't going to need to pass the same volume of air as a 1000cc.
NOT JUST INCREASED AIRFLOW BUT THE FACT THAT WITH LITTLE VACUM IT DONT SUCK THE FUEL THRU THE JETS AS WELL , ALSO WHEN THEY GET WET THE RUN RICH

WINJA
25th March 2006, 13:47
I am doing it more for the look than for the performance, I have too strip down the bike and get it sandblasted and painted/powder coated, so I thought I may aswell hgave a bit of a play with the look of the bike. I have seen a couple of bikes from japan with the airbow removed and the covers off as well and I think that they look a lot nicer so that is my mainb reason, also if I was to get ride on the box I would either get an oil breather filter or hook the tube straight to the pod.
http://www.ysp-kokubu.com/Used/126_250/701.jpg
I want a look like this bike but with the rear fairings still on and with a red frame and wheels and mat black fairings and tank.
THERE WAS A COMPANYIN OTAHUHU THAT CAN CHROME PLASTIC , GET THE AIRBOX CHROMED