PDA

View Full Version : Honda Monkey

tias
27th March 2006, 11:35
Hi all,

My first post here,...

I've only arrived in NZ about 7 months ago (coming from Belgium) and I already bought a bike ;-)
I saw it on Trade & Exchange and was stoked.
It's a 1970's Honda Monkey. I've had a Dax for years in Belgium and couldn't believe they don't have that around here, so when I saw the monkey I was sold.

It pretty much has the same engine as those mini choppers they drive around here (Now, that's one thing I would never drive, except for fun&crashing;-) 50cc...

My question now, are they street legal here???? They are in Belgium, but I've heard different things around here... Could someone shed some light on that?

As wll, is there anyone around here who has a Monkey or Dax? Would love to do some easy cruising... ;-)

Cheers,

.tias.

ps. attachments from Belgian tuned monkeys, and is how I kinda want my one to look like,... '-) except the last one,.. might be a bit over the top ;-)

inlinefour
27th March 2006, 11:48
Hi all,

My first post here,...

I've only arrived in NZ about 7 months ago (coming from Belgium) and I already bought a bike ;-)
I saw it on Trade & Exchange and was stoked.
It's a 1970's Honda Monkey. I've had a Dax for years in Belgium and couldn't believe they don't have that around here, so when I saw the monkey I was sold.

It pretty much has the same engine as those mini choppers they drive around here (Now, that's one thing I would never drive, except for fun&crashing;-) 50cc...

My question now, are they street legal here???? They are in Belgium, but I've heard different things around here... Could someone shed some light on that?

As wll, is there anyone around here who has a Monkey or Dax? Would love to do some easy cruising... ;-)

Cheers,

.tias.

ps. attachments from Belgian tuned monkeys, and is how I kinda want my one to look like,... '-) except the last one,.. might be a bit over the top ;-)

Depends on if it has all the lights etc, I think. Have a look at my profile pic, its an original 1973 Z50J. The only bits missing from it are a footpeg rubber, neutral light cover bit and the indercators. I am told that I can make it road legal as a moped and it'll cost $70-80 per year for registration and does not need a warrent of fitness. Hope this helps...

Coyote
27th March 2006, 11:54
Those tuned ones look awesome :D I want one

tias
27th March 2006, 12:16
Depends on if it has all the lights etc, I think. Have a look at my profile pic, its an original 1973 Z50J. The only bits missing from it are a footpeg rubber, neutral light cover bit and the indercators. I am told that I can make it road legal as a moped and it'll cost $70-80 per year for registration and does not need a warrent of fitness. Hope this helps...

Sweet thx(!) So I just need to get the wiring to work and put on some signal lights (those are not mandatory in Belgium;-)... And then start tuning,...

Is there an easy way of getting original or better parts around here?
Cheers again,

.tias.

This one is mine,... ;-)

inlinefour
27th March 2006, 15:30
Sweet thx(!) So I just need to get the wiring to work and put on some signal lights (those are not mandatory in Belgium;-)... And then start tuning,...

Is there an easy way of getting original or better parts around here?
Cheers again,

.tias.

This one is mine,... ;-)

pay to go into the local Honda dealer if you want original. Ive been scrounging around the bike wreckers and parts are hard to find. If you find a spare footpeg rubber grab it please and give me a yell:2thumbsup

tias
27th March 2006, 16:11
Sweet(!) If I find one, I'll let you know.
If you really really want one, I'm going back to Belgium for one month in May, I could bring you one back from there....

Cheers,

.tias.

Matt Bleck
27th March 2006, 16:19
Those are some cool lookin bikes tias.

Oh welcome to the site by the way.

inlinefour
27th March 2006, 16:25
Sweet(!) If I find one, I'll let you know.
If you really really want one, I'm going back to Belgium for one month in May, I could bring you one back from there....

Cheers,

.tias.

That would be awesome man!:first:

kev4eva
27th March 2006, 16:32
They look really cool

tias
27th March 2006, 17:02
Those are some cool lookin bikes tias.

Oh welcome to the site by the way.

Thx mate(!) I'll be checking in alot(!) ;-)

Here are some more pics of tuned monkey's and Dax'.
I especially like the grey dax -> Awesome(!)

Cheers,

.tias.

skidMark
27th March 2006, 19:20
this is my 05 replica...in pieces at the moment will put her back together some day...just need another motor...

tias
28th March 2006, 09:53
Sweet(!)
hope to see it fixed one day ;-)

exiledinaus
5th April 2006, 18:14
i have one of these over here in aus and was considering bringing it with me when i move over to nz in a couple of weeks time....

hmmm i wonder if it will get through customs ok....?

anyone know if i will have an issue bringing it in to nz? its road legal over here...

Coyote
5th April 2006, 18:31
Thx mate(!) I'll be checking in alot(!) ;-)

Here are some more pics of tuned monkey's and Dax'.
I especially like the grey dax -> Awesome(!)

Cheers,

.tias.
I like that first one. Looks like a hillclimber :D

OMG
5th April 2006, 18:39
Cool bikes, welcome aboard

slimjim
5th April 2006, 19:07
:apumpin: yea seen seven of this little:scooter: in picton about three weeks ago, all loaded up with camping gear,:drinknsin and the boys said that they were from welly:crybaby: they have a club,:brick: but dont know more than that:angry2:

SPOOKY
6th April 2006, 13:34
love the white wall tyres !!They look great

tias
6th April 2006, 14:35
i have one of these over here in aus and was considering bringing it with me when i move over to nz in a couple of weeks time....

anyone know if i will have an issue bringing it in to nz? its road legal over here...

I heard (with emphasize on heard) that that shouldn't be a problem as long as it is quite clean, no dirt on the tires and cr*p like that,... ;-)

Goodluck and hope to see you on the road one of these days,..

Cheers,

.tias.

tias
6th April 2006, 14:35
:apumpin: yea seen seven of this little:scooter: in picton about three weeks ago, all loaded up with camping gear,:drinknsin and the boys said that they were from welly:crybaby: they have a club,:brick: but dont know more than that:angry2:

Sweet,... I'll try to find someting on the net about them,.. who knows,...

Cheers,

.tias.

exiledinaus
15th May 2006, 22:04
I heard (with emphasize on heard) that that shouldn't be a problem as long as it is quite clean, no dirt on the tires and cr*p like that,... ;-)

Goodluck and hope to see you on the road one of these days,..

Cheers,

.tias.

cheers mate - yup, i'll be in Nelson - so if you ride the Monkey down and then over on the ferry I'll see you there :ride: its very very clean as i've just taken it apart and put it back together.... so i may well give it a go and bring it over for the fun of it....

inlinefour
23rd May 2006, 01:54
How fast does everyone's Z50 go. Mine is slower than a wet week, but if a smaller rider was on it I'm sure it'd be sweet. :whocares:

sKilled
7th June 2006, 12:05

Copied from the LTSA factsheet website:

Brakes
Your moped must have at least one service brake on each wheel.

Lighting equipment - lamps and reflectors
Your moped must be fitted with:

one or two dipped-beam headlamps ('dipped beam' means 'low beam'. It may be a single lamp that is fixed in the dipped position or a lamp that can be dipped by the rider). When turned on, this must illuminate the road in front for at least 30 metres
at least one red rear-facing lamp that can be seen from 100 metres away when turned on
at least one rear reflector that can be seen from 100 metres away when light shines on it.
If your moped was first registered in New Zealand on or after 1 January 1991, it must also be fitted with one or two rear stop lamps.

Rear-view mirror
If your moped was manufactured on or after 1 July 2000, it must have a rear-view mirror that gives you a clear view behind the moped.

Other equipment
Your moped must also have:

good quality tyres. The tread pattern must be clearly visible across at least 3/4 of the tread width and around the entire circumference
a horn that can be heard by other road users from at least 100 metres away (in normal traffic conditions)
mudguards (if it is practical to fit them)
an exhaust system, in good condition, that is not excessively noisy
adequate footrests or pedals for the rider and any pillion passenger.
Your responsibilities
Mopeds aren't inspected for a warrant of fitness, but it is up you to:

make sure your moped is fitted with equipment that complies with the law
wear your motorcycle helmet
follow the road rules.
If you don't, you could get an infringement fine or be taken to court.

If your Dax fullfills those requirements, and is clean as a whistle for customs, then I see no real problems bringing it in to NZ.

Macktheknife
7th June 2006, 12:24
Welcome tias, cool looking pics, why would you want one on the road tho?

Little Putt
20th October 2008, 11:03
Hi Tias,

I realise it's a while since you started this post, but I was wondering if you had any luck with the restoration of your Z50? I've just joined this site, and want to restore my first bike, which is the same as yours. I cans ee heaps of parts available in the US, but wanted someone to deal with closer to home.

Cheers

tias
20th October 2008, 15:50
Hey man,

Well,... I've been very lazy and still haven't done anything to it ;)

I'm sure there must be stores who can order anything honda related in from asia. Should be cheaper than from the states (I think)

Sorry that I can't be of more help to you!

Enjoy the monkey!!

skidMark
20th October 2008, 16:12
Lifan motorcycles NZ bring in the chinese copy...

lots of spares there, i have a chinese copy in a million bits and no motor.

few good bits left umm seat, gas tank with small dent in it.

got the frame swingarms and rear shocks bars etc too.

DELLORTO
20th October 2008, 19:56
man those are cool!!! :rockon: a z50 goes about 55km/h.....faster than those chinese 50cc scooters.....:wari: and those modified z50's would have to go around 70km/h :scooter:

Edbear
11th November 2008, 17:22
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/05/30/honda-125cc-inline-4-cylinder-monkey-bike/