PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! got my head back

T.W.R
27th March 2006, 17:16
:banana: :2thumbsup After a few weeks wait, minor hiccups & a slightly lightened wallet, I picked the head of the ZXR up today from the engineer's :eek:

So all going to plan, within a couple of days it will bark back into life & be ready to rock n roll again :2thumbsup :doobey:

Flyingpony
27th March 2006, 17:34
All the best with the reassembly T.W.R.
Sounds like you'll be having some fun and spending quite a few hours over the next few nights in the garage.

thehollowmen
27th March 2006, 17:36
we all like getting head, especially when it is such good head. :o

Tell us how the performance goes

Goblin
27th March 2006, 17:43
Congratulations mate! Can I shake ya hand?:blip: Looks nice and shiny...even better than a new one:eek5: ! Hope it all goes well for ya:yes:

emaN
27th March 2006, 17:47
wot'd you get done to it?

T.W.R
27th March 2006, 18:45
Cheers ppls:niceone:

yeah an hour or 2 will be soaked up in the re-assemble, just have to do a static assembly 1st to do a shim check, then once thats done it should be all sweet.
Basically it soaked up close to $1500 with a good tidy-up of the important bits, total strip-down, crack test, HD valve-springs, guides, seals, mill etc.
Replaced a couple of dodgy valves and had the good ones reset & lapped.

its going to be good having the bike back on the road :woohoo: no more withdrawal symtoms :soon:

miSTa
27th March 2006, 20:57
... HD valve-springs,...

:no: Say what? Harley Davidson parts in a mighty Kawasaki? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

p/t

sugilite
28th March 2006, 21:11
Heyya T.W.R that head looks great! Let us know how she runs when you have got her back on the road!

T.W.R
29th March 2006, 00:59
Got most of it of it assembled, done the shim check (new ones arriving tomorrow:D )

heres a couple more pics ( the quality isn't to flash, its a pxt phone)

T.W.R
31st March 2006, 23:39
Well had another hiccup while sourcing the shims:crazy: but they got here today (mix of genuine & precision shims) got a reasonable deal on them, kawasaki list price was $16-17each:eek5: got the whole 16 shims for $160.

So the engine is assembled & ready to be slung into the frame tomorrow ;) get all the vital fluids etc done and it should be running by early arvo, then I'm :drinknsin .

sugilite
1st April 2006, 00:35
Now theres a ride report I'm looking forward to reading!

nudemetalz
1st April 2006, 07:15
Good stuff, Bill....looking good !!!

Looking forward to seeing the whole lot when we get there at Easter.

Goblin
1st April 2006, 08:11
:2thumbsup :clap: :spudwave:

:corn: :corn: :corn: :corn:

T.W.R
2nd April 2006, 02:24
:headbang: It Farkin goes people!!:woohoo: being christened on a bottle of Jimmie the old bitch fired into life just over an hour ago :niceone:

and bar one small coolant leak on the front feed gallery, it fired up revved cleanly & held an idle :gob: :banana:

:drinknsin the bottles gone, the bike goes !:bleh:

nudemetalz
2nd April 2006, 13:43
Congrats on getting her fired up !!!:doobey:

T.W.R
7th April 2006, 15:10
Well people shes all go again :niceone: had the 1st couple of outings on the private test track today:rolleyes: firstly to make sure everything was doing what its supposed to, then a quick strop through the lower gears to see how response was under load.
Everything feels good & tight :msn-wink:
after the initial fire-up last weekend, and in the job to remedy the coolant leak i found a oil weep on the sump plate so had to source new o-rings for the coolant pipe & a new sump gasket (that took till tuesday) then setting up the carbs took a bit of time (got myself a mercury vacuum gauge to help things along :niceone: ).

just got to chuck a reg & wof on it tomorrow and it'll be all systems go again :devil2:

nudemetalz
7th April 2006, 16:21
Excellent stuff, Bill !!!!

Oh, BTW I got the VT steering head all done last night. Her ladyship took it back down to the WOF station and it passed, so I must have done something right.
She also said that it handles a lot better now. Tapered rollers obviously the way to go in "older" machines.....

Sniper
7th April 2006, 16:38
Pics??

T.W.R
7th April 2006, 17:44
Good to hear Chris :niceone: Bridgy will be a happy lass now being all set for the trip, less than a week to go now :sherlock:

couple of pics of the journey the ZXR has been on :msn-wink: know pretty much every square centimetre of it now

Goblin
7th April 2006, 17:56
Well people shes all go again :niceone: had the 1st couple of outings on the private test track today:rolleyes: firstly to make sure everything was doing what its supposed to, then a quick strop through the lower gears to see how response was under load.
Everything feels good & tight :msn-wink:

just got to chuck a reg & wof on it tomorrow and it'll be all systems go again :devil2:

:2thumbsup That's what we like to hear.
Well done on a mammoth effort! :not:

nudemetalz
7th April 2006, 22:57
Thanks Bill,...and the ZXR is looking good !!!
Can't wait to see it in the flesh !!

T.W.R
8th April 2006, 15:18
Thanks Bill,...and the ZXR is looking good !!!
Can't wait to see it in the flesh !!

Ha its pretty rough n ready :crazy: got to find myself a fairing assembly to make it 100% again, then avoid friggin german tourists in rental cars :angry2:

Well took it out to do the log in with big brother paper work earlier :yeah: then a slight detour on the way home to stretch its legs :gob: couple of top gear roll-on run saw good figures reached rather quickly :Oops: and about the only thing to check over is the suspension settings, the front end seems a bit soft.
So apart from that shes all good, couple of runs over the favourite itchy roads to get the feel back & it'll be all systems go.

sugilite
15th April 2006, 09:34
Awesome dude!
Love the pics, damn that is a bloody straight example you have there!
Thanks for the advice on my babe!
Mine is dangling upside down in my mates workshop at present having the exaust done, it's quite major surgery, but he is on to it!
In the mean time I'm reduced to strops up and down my valley on the superbike, tis so sad :devil2:

Are you going to put her on the dyno once you have put some km's on?

T.W.R
15th April 2006, 10:25
Awesome dude!
Love the pics, damn that is a bloody straight example you have there!
Thanks for the advice on my babe!
Mine is dangling upside down in my mates workshop at present having the exaust done, it's quite major surgery, but he is on to it!
In the mean time I'm reduced to strops up and down my valley on the superbike, tis so sad :devil2:

Are you going to put her on the dyno once you have put some km's on?

Hey Sugilite,
I've got to get myself a digital camera :sherlock: those pics are all off a phone :slap: hoping to get some better pics over the weekend off the 35mm converted to disc to put up.

The ZXR was a minter prior to being cleaned up by the bloody tourist in a rental :crybaby: , got to trackdown some panels at some stage.

Glad to hear your one is coming along, it'll be worth the effort once it's done:cool: ha what a shame having to resort to using the SB :rofl: things we do huh :rolleyes:

Had a couple of runs & everything seems to be bedding in nicely. been up around the summit a couple of times just getting back into the rythem, tinkering with a good compromise for the suspension been a effort but its pretty close.
When I balanced up the carbs got a good setup luckily, 14cm draw (gauge measurement ) at a warm idle & 34cm draw at a steady 3000rpm. On the road it holds a steady 6800rpm (couple of needle widths below 7000) at 160kmh in top.
Couple more rides & I'll do a oil & filter change and check things over again & will probably look at getting it checked on the dyno, their charging $35 ish for a run or $130ish for tuning runs (they reckon a couple of runs to get it bang on) so i'll see how things go, its seems to be doing what its supposed too & if i can tune a MHR by ear and feel then i don't think the ZXR is too far off the mark.