PDA

View Full Version : My Ringa ding ding ding's started whirring...

Str8 Jacket
27th March 2006, 21:28
My bikes just started making a whirring noise that seems to be getting higher pitched, more frequent and alot louder as time goes on. I first noticed it about a month ago and it only happened very occasionally. The noise appears to be coming form the front of my bike round the tyre area and its kinda hard to explain but if anyones ever had a problem like it you'd know what I mean...
I cant tell if its when im going faster or not as when I rev the bike up its loud (its a two stroke...) and it drowns out the whirring. Basically the noise is always there when im moving and its getting worse. Im going to see if I can see if theres anything stuck in the wheel or guards etc, however would anyone be able to enlighten me as to what this noise is or may be? Im kind of worried that it'll turn into a major if I leave it...

sefer
27th March 2006, 22:12
I feel your pain :) I had a similar issue with my zxr, was making a knocking sound at the front, but only when going over 15kmh at, at which point the exhaust was too loud to pin point it (not to mention the moving problem :D).

I haven't really had my KRR apart enough to be sure, but I can't think of anything up front that'll make that kind of sound except the wheel bearings and speedo drive. I'd get the front in the air and spin the wheel as fast as possible to eliminate those anyway.

(In the end I don't even know what the problem with the zxr was, I just tightened, oiled and greased everything up front and it stopped, so it must have been one of those things :) )

Mental Trousers
27th March 2006, 22:14
Sounds like the speedo cable. The drive wheel on the end of them gets a bit worn and starts making funny noises. Or the cable actually gets some crap in it and that can do it. Not certain of course, but that's something that I've had happen.

ajturbo
27th March 2006, 23:48
you only have 2 options sorry..
1. buy a new rubber band
2.re-tention the old one...:nya:

ZeroIndex
28th March 2006, 00:29
not on the exact topic, but my bike also makes a noise i can't pinpoint, but i guess i'll start looking into that, once my right foot has somewhere to sit on my bike... and the throttle turns...

Big Dog
28th March 2006, 01:29
To isolate the noise:
1 Put your bike on the centre stand.
2 Weight down the back.
3 Put cotton wool in your weaker ear.
4 Cut a metre of garden hose (or narrower).
5 Spint the wheel (have a mate help if you have one handy).
6 Put the hose up to your ear and move the far end of the hose around until you isolate the location of the noise.
7 If you cannot hear clearly open your mouth, it excludes your breathing and pulse from your inner ear.

Places to check:
The speedo cable - about 4 inches up the cable.
The bearings - put the hose up against the axle.
The brakes - put it on the calliper.

Seems like a dumb thing to check but it happens, check nothing is stuck between mudguard and tyre.

If you still cannot locate the noise chalk the tyre edges and the axle rim and see if any of it comes off under a few rotations. This would indicate tyre rub.
talcum power is good for this but be sure to wipe it off good dry then hose off before riding.

Still no joy?
Grab front wheel top and bottom and try to move left and right without moving the forks, a clicking or movement will indicate that this is your problem and handling can be improved / made warrantable by servicing the bearings.

Str8 Jacket
28th March 2006, 07:10
Cheers for the advice guy's. I left for work at 6.30ish this morning so it was too dark to check, will do it after work tonight.

ajturbo
28th March 2006, 09:09
Cheers for the advice guy's. I left for work at 6.30ish this morning so it was too dark to check, will do it after work tonight.

thats ok... just pop down to warehouse staionary...they should be able to help ya:grouphug: :rofl:

Str8 Jacket
28th March 2006, 09:13
thats ok... just pop down to warehouse staionary...they should be able to help ya:grouphug: :rofl:

Ok, maybe I should have said thanks to everyone EXCEPT you Mr Turbo! :finger: :bleh: Though the funny thing is that Wharehouse Stationery is just down the road form where I work, I can see it from my office!

Colapop
28th March 2006, 09:15
Are you sure it's not just air rushing through your horns?

Str8 Jacket
28th March 2006, 09:17
Are you sure it's not just air rushing through your horns?
NO you cant have my airhorns!!

The noise seems to be coming from under the handle bars around the tyre area, was quite audible this morning. :(

Pwalo
28th March 2006, 09:30
It might pay to check that your fairing fasteners are all present and correct, and that your front mudguard is tightened up to spec. If something's a bit loose it would vibrate more as your speed increased.

Just a thought.

Colapop
3rd April 2006, 17:11
NO you cant have my airhorns!!

The noise seems to be coming from under the handle bars around the tyre area, was quite audible this morning. :(
Did ya get it sorted, Shorty?

Sniper
4th April 2006, 16:31
Brake Callipers?