PDA

View Full Version : Engine trouble?? R-1 Help wanted

lewises
29th March 2006, 19:46
Hi all!

99 R1 w Full arrow system

Riding my bike to work the other day and as I got closer to arriving I noticed that the bike was only dropping back to about 2000rpm at idle.

On the way home the bike started surging at idle but pulling ok under load.

I am no mechanic so all sorts of dark imaginings start running thru my head.

Bike is reasonably high K's @74000 and is noisy enough to warrant a cam chain soon. Wondering if there are any thoughts as to the idle/surge?

I start to worry about things like rings,timing,valves etc.

HEEEEELLLLLLPPP!!!

Sensei
29th March 2006, 20:07
May pay to check the Throttle postion sensor , my Triumph did this abit till I had it reset then all was good .

saul
29th March 2006, 20:58
Yep basics first, carbs etc:2thumbsup

Bleck K6
29th March 2006, 20:59
May pay to check the Throttle postion sensor , my Triumph did this abit till I had it reset then all was good .
I thought only injected bikes had TPS?

Anyway, sounds like a airleak or carb problem?Doesnt sound like anything to major.

WINJA
29th March 2006, 21:31
May pay to check the Throttle postion sensor , my Triumph did this abit till I had it reset then all was good .I THOUGHT THAT R1 WAS CARBURATED AND THE TPS IF FITTED WAS JUSTFOR THE PROPORTIONAL SPARK SYSTEM

Crazy Steve
29th March 2006, 21:41
When...you.._onna...race...me..

Or..are...you..still..hidin_...in...the...shitter. ..wit...Frankie...

Crazy...Steve..:motu:

Sensei
29th March 2006, 21:44
I thought they still had TPS on the Carby models may be wrong could explain why they are so Gutless ??

WINJA
29th March 2006, 22:06
I thought they still had TPS on the Carby models may be wrong could explain why they are so Gutless ??
THE LATER ONES HAD A HALF ARSED INJECTION SYSTEM WITH A CV CARB TYPE SLIDE , AND FUCK THEY WERE GUTLESS , I BORROWED AN 03 R1 FOR THE DAY AND AT FIRST I THOUGHT THEY GAVE ME THE R6 BY ACCIDENT.
THE 99 R1 ISNT BAD ITS ALMOST AS FAST AS A C1 OR C2 ZX9

dss3
29th March 2006, 22:39
Sometimes when practising stoppies mine will start to idle really slowly, slow enough to stop the engine. But just turn the key off and start it up again and seems to run sweet again, maybe it just don't like the bumps?.