PDA

View Full Version : VFR400 / NC30 RVF400 / NC35 Fuel taps the same?

limbimtimwim
2nd April 2006, 22:47
I think mine is borked. Seems to be leaking on the unfixable side.

Bane of my existance this darn fuel tap.

Anyhoo, VFR400 parts are a bit easier to get hold of than RVF parts.

Does anyone happen to know if the VFR400 tap and the RVF400 fuel tap are the same?

They sure LOOK similar, but does anyone know for sure?

This reminds me, I need new gloves..

sAsLEX
2nd April 2006, 22:50
whats it matter if they aint? Would just try it, if they are both the vacuum operated sort and fit

limbimtimwim
2nd April 2006, 22:53
whats it matter if they aint? Would just try it, if they are both the vacuum operated sort and fitBut I don't have an NC30 tap... :-)

Vegan
3rd April 2006, 12:22
Well I've just looked in my haynes manual - and it does not mention that the taps are different for the RVF.

limbimtimwim
3rd April 2006, 12:28
Well I've just looked in my haynes manual - and it does not mention that the taps are different for the RVF.Different PNs though.

NC30 Tap PN: 16950-MR8-023 / (Illeg, probably 16950-MR8-013 )
NC35 Tap PN: 16950-MR8-043

Hrrmm..

Guy at GP motorcycles ( 07 574 6688 ) reckoned they were different. They were helpful though.

SUCKS TO BE ME.

limbimtimwim
4th April 2006, 14:10
$400 new ex japan.

Laugh or cry? I cannot decide.

MrMelon
4th April 2006, 14:27
Where's it leaking?
My mate's leaking fuel tap on his cbr was fixed with some creative use of araldite right around where the two halves were bolted together. It's held up one month and counting so far.

kickingzebra
4th April 2006, 14:30
Hory it up with some silicon bro!! she'll be right!! Should be able to find fuel grade stuff. Shouldn't be too hard to sort it out.

The Stranger
4th April 2006, 14:38
I think mine is borked. Seems to be leaking on the unfixable side.

Um, which side is the unfixable side?

limbimtimwim
4th April 2006, 14:52
Hory it up with some silicon bro!! she'll be right!! Should be able to find fuel grade stuff. Shouldn't be too hard to sort it out.Yeah, it's got a shed-load of it on it at the moment :-). You mean there is different silicon for fuel? Errr.. Oh dear. I'll have to find that. I've put it on last night, and have put the tank upright today in the shed. When I get home I'm gonna see if my bodge job worked. But in any case, it's a temporary fix.
My mate's leaking fuel tap on his cbr was fixed with some creative use of araldite right around where the two halves were bolted together. It's held up one month and counting so far.Cheers, I was wondering about finding glue that would handle the petrol jandal. Silicon is a little fragile for my liking, considering it is not jammed betwixt two faces.
Um, which side is the unfixable side?The side that is kinda.. Err.. Riveted/Pinned on. It probably is fixable on that side. But I don't know how. I don't have a picture of that side. Not the side that is my avatar picture.

**IF** That is where it is leaking from, but all the other joining surfaces are dry, so that has to be it really.

limbimtimwim
5th April 2006, 11:30
:banana: Yay!! Mega silicon bodge job worked!!

But really, I should replace it. Otherwise my pants may catch on fire.

kickingzebra
5th April 2006, 15:02
Save yourself 120 bucks and buy leather pants... Or smother yourself in vaseline... Should only catch fire at a few hundred degrees, or, even better ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, carry a fire extinguisher!!

limbimtimwim
5th April 2006, 15:13
Save yourself 120 bucks and buy leather pants... Or smother yourself in vaseline... Should only catch fire at a few hundred degrees, or, even better ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, carry a fire extinguisher!!Ya know, I actually care more about the RVF than the skin on my legs. I don't want it catching on fire.

Strange, but true.

sAsLEX
5th April 2006, 15:19
Ya know, I actually care more about the RVF than the skin on my legs. I don't want it catching on fire.

Strange, but true.

Just go to a car part place and buy another tap, surely you dont !need! an official NC30 bit any old fuel grade tap would work, prob will loose the vacuum part of it, but mine doesn't work anyways and I have no problems touch wood.

Then just run pipe to the tap, and pipe to the carbs and bobs your uncle, you just have to remember to turn it off at night.

limbimtimwim
5th April 2006, 15:59
Just go to a car part place and buy another tap, surely you dont !need! an official NC30 bit any old fuel grade tap would work, prob will loose the vacuum part of it, but mine doesn't work anyways and I have no problems touch wood.Well, I need an NC35 bit :-) .

Have you ever looked at the fuel tap on your '30? How would a random car part (Or even an NC30 tap) bolt onto my fuel tank if the holes were in the wrong place? :scratch:

Attached are pictures on an NC30 tap. Taken with a cellphone, so kinda crap.

sAsLEX
5th April 2006, 21:45
Well, I need an NC35 bit :-) .

Have you ever looked at the fuel tap on your '30? How would a random car part (Or even an NC30 tap) bolt onto my fuel tank if the holes were in the wrong place? :scratch:

Attached are pictures on an NC30 tap. Taken with a cellphone, so kinda crap.

Ok have had min off couldnt remeber that stuff, so take it to an engineer get him to fashion a plate that will fit in to the tank that runs in to a pipe, put in a tap, run pipe to carb

limbimtimwim
10th April 2006, 21:02
I have answered my own question.

I borrowed an NC30 tap and have just come in from the backyard.

It fits.

Unless I did somehow get an NC35 tap, this is good.

Kwaka-Kid
10th April 2006, 21:32
Yay! told ya man! :) i was sure bolt allignment couldnt be far out

limbimtimwim
10th April 2006, 21:57
Yay! told ya man! :) i was sure bolt allignment couldnt be far outSo was I, but the guy at GP motorcycles reckoned otherwise.

The peeps on 400greybike.co.uk were pretty silent too. They are more interested in making their bikes go faster :-)

sAsLEX
10th April 2006, 22:43
They are more interested in making their bikes go faster :-)
Wont go very fast without fuel