PDA

View Full Version : helo - 250cc bandit missing on one cylinder

mops
3rd April 2006, 17:50
hello guys.

havent been using bike for a whle week, started her this morning and it seems to be missing at low rpm on one cylinder...

only on low rpm.. doesnt matter hot or cold... over 5-6krpm it's all good, but under that it *might* miss... was reeving it on the driveway when i got back from work and still missing... when i rev it up it might do a loud *pop* sometimes...

buddy suggested stuck carb jet....

any other suggestions and how i might go about fixing it ? i'd like to avoid taking carbs off, as it wold require draining/removing fuel tank, etc...

thealmightytaco
3rd April 2006, 17:58
If it happened to me I'd just try new plugs, and see what happens. Might be a bit dirty and need something extra to get it to spark. Long shot theory but that's my gut feeling.

Devil
4th April 2006, 08:56
Make sure the plug caps and leads are all connected properly. Pull them off one by one (so you dont get them mixed up!) make sure the connection up inside doesnt look too filthy, then push them firmly back down onto the spark plug. It should be a snug fit. You may need to check that the leads are pushed into the caps properly too.

Pussy
4th April 2006, 09:03
My wife's 250 Bandit she used to own had a similar problem, I tracked it down to tracking in one coil. Coil was replaced under warranty, end of problem. The tracking spark was visible in poor light

mops
4th April 2006, 09:46
My wife's 250 Bandit she used to own had a similar problem, I tracked it down to tracking in one coil. Coil was replaced under warranty, end of problem. The tracking spark was visible in poor light

you are saying that spark was arcing around the coil/cpark leads area ?

funny that you mentioned... i thought i saw a blue arc once when i was reeving the engine.... but my eyes cant be trusted.... i'll reinspect today.

today it's a bit better.... if i use little throttle then it's no problem, so basiclally right now only idel and low rpm suffers...

Wasp
4th April 2006, 16:20
Ive had mine for 3 weeks now and it's "sort of" doing this.

problem is the shop supposedly cleaned all the plugs and carbies before i picked it up (was running on 3 cylinders day before i test rode).

i ride my everyday, any ideas?

Sniper
4th April 2006, 16:30
Im good with plugs and leads, want me to help?

mops
4th April 2006, 19:02
hey sniper, thanks for offer :)

well... after riding it for 2 days, it's much better. hardly does that any more.

I'm keen to change plugs, i can do that myself, but what I dont know how to do is to drain and remove the tank (i know how to unscrew it but removal will require disconnecting fuel line(s) )....

without undoing the tank i have access to both outside plugs, but the inside ones are not accessible really....

i'm reying to get quote for some plugs and i'll go from there...

Wasp
4th April 2006, 19:37
can ya keep me informed on this please mops, i was looking to do the plugs and ht leads on my old bike so i guess i might as well do them on my new one.

i'm gonna try and see if i can find a manual for mine (its a gsf too) but will try pulling the tank off without it, gotta check the air filter too (helped alot with my old bike).

pity i dont even have my bike atm, picking it up from the shop tommorow night all going to plan (yea fuckin right)

Pussy
4th April 2006, 20:43
you are saying that spark was arcing around the coil/cpark leads area ?

funny that you mentioned... i thought i saw a blue arc once when i was reeving the engine.... but my eyes cant be trusted.... i'll reinspect today.

today it's a bit better.... if i use little throttle then it's no problem, so basiclally right now only idel and low rpm suffers...
Yep, it was where the plug leads come out of the coil. Will affect lower rpm range more, and problem will probably show up more during periods of higher humidity. You probably saw what I'm trying to describe

Wasp
4th April 2006, 20:51
sounds like its happening to mine too, crap idle (dies sometimes) in the early morn and shit power on the way up the drive sometimes.

anyone in the welly area that can check this out for me? my bikes in the shop at the moment under warrenty so it'd be good to fix this too.

Pussy
4th April 2006, 20:55
By the way, I reckon the v-tec Bandit is a great little bike. My missus got a black/orange one brand new. She learnt the basics on it and it performed well enough to keep up when she got more experienced

mops
4th April 2006, 21:20
By the way, I reckon the v-tec Bandit is a great little bike. My missus got a black/orange one brand new. She learnt the basics on it and it performed well enough to keep up when she got more experienced

it's my first bike, so i'm not very experienced with different bikes and stuff, but i like the flexibility also... early i was using less revs and higher gears and now lower gears and more revs :)

BTW, by bandit is black/orange aswell :)

mops
4th April 2006, 21:21
Yep, it was where the plug leads come out of the coil. Will affect lower rpm range more, and problem will probably show up more during periods of higher humidity. You probably saw what I'm trying to describe

thats exacly what's happening.... so you are saying i'll need whole new coil or just ht leads ?

Pussy
4th April 2006, 22:38
thats exacly what's happening.... so you are saying i'll need whole new coil or just ht leads ?
The coil and leads are a sealed unit. Try spraying a bit of WD40 or similar around the problem area, it might help. Thats what I did before I got hold of the new coil. It would really be best to get a new coil, once they have started tracking they always seem to keep on doing it