PDA

View Full Version : Car phone fines soar

Bob
5th April 2006, 21:15
The number of people caught using a mobile phone while driving in the UK- one of the major problems facing bikers as the car driver's attention is diverted - has risen from 80,000 in 2004 to 140,000 last year – an increase of nearly 75%.

Some forces are using speed camera images for evidence. From next year, the penalty for using a hand-held mobile whilst driving will be increased to £60 (around NZ$ 170) and the offence will carry a three-point licence endorsement (12 points and you're banned).

u4ea
5th April 2006, 21:24
thanks for that bob,am kinda guilty of that from time to time.........a nice reminder of the ignorance .i know full well we dont have the stopping time or handling of cars and will be evermore vigilent!!!!!!!!;)

Big Dave
6th April 2006, 08:38
So why does ACC and LTNZ have their heads in the sand with this one.
It's still open slather here. Shits me.
dc

Lou Girardin
6th April 2006, 11:16
dc

It's too hard to consider safety options other than speeding and seatbelts. That's one for each brain cell.

MisterD
6th April 2006, 11:38
dc

Perhaps one of our resident cops can answer these questions for me:

Do we have an offence of "Driving without due care and attention" or similar?

If we do, why can't this be used to deal with people driving whilst using a phone?

ZeroIndex
6th April 2006, 11:41
...now that's a good idea... the worst is people texting while they drive... that's even worse...

Buster
6th April 2006, 11:44
We need some sort of law change. Especially when drivers text.

Drunken Monkey
6th April 2006, 13:01
dc

Because talking on the cellphone while driving is no less distracting than eating while driving, changing CDs while driving and various other actions. It doesn't make sense to ban one without the others.

We need some sort of law change. Especially when drivers text.

Yes, texting is even worse than talking on the phone - at least you've got your eyes on the road while talking. When people text, they're not even watching the road.

ZeroIndex
6th April 2006, 13:26
Because talking on the cellphone while driving is no less distracting than eating while driving, changing CDs while driving and various other actions. It doesn't make sense to ban one without the others.

Yes, texting is even worse than talking on the phone - at least you've got your eyes on the road while talking. When people text, they're not even watching the road.
:Oi: I wrote about drivers texting first!!! ...not Buster

In all conclusion though, driver's should have their hands attached to the steering wheel the whole time, and get fined if they moves their hands unless its to indicate, or pick their nose (cars come in auto, therefore all cars should be auto... no boy-racer wants a loud exhaust on an auto...)

Sniper
6th April 2006, 14:30
Easy ZI.

Yea, this cellphone usage while driving a car pissing me right off. Surely there is a way to block cell activity while moving? For example, placing a device inside the phone that switches it off if it moves faster than 30kph?

ZeroIndex
6th April 2006, 14:36
Easy ZI.

Yea, this cellphone usage while driving a car pissing me right off. Surely there is a way to block cell activity while moving? For example, placing a device inside the phone that switches it off if it moves faster than 30kph?
...or the cell phone signal (when in use) disengages the accelerator on the car, turns the left indicator on, and forces the driver to pull over...

The Stranger
6th April 2006, 14:49
dc

Ah dave, you miss the big picture here.

Being able to use a cell phone whilst driving is important, how else could all the rats and snitches report speeders so promptly.
And we all know that speeding is the worst crime anyone can commit right.

The Stranger
6th April 2006, 14:51

Be careful what you wish for!!!

Buster
6th April 2006, 14:55
:Oi: I wrote about drivers texting first!!! ...not Buster
Sorry there ZI, I didnt see your post, because it takes me ages to type while driving.

ZeroIndex
6th April 2006, 15:50
Sorry there ZI, I didnt see your post, because it takes me ages to type while driving.
haha, no problem

Lou Girardin
6th April 2006, 16:40

If we do, why can't this be used to deal with people driving whilst using a phone?

It's careless or inconsiderate driving, and it requires an error or ommision in your driving to prove. Merely holding a cell phone is not sufficient. That's why a specific offence is required.

Ixion
6th April 2006, 17:16
I'm sure we used to have "without due care and attention" - or was it "due care and consideration". Either way, my father got done for it. (He tried to get out of it by blaming it on the guy carrying the red flag in front, but the cop wasn't having it)

Dunno why we need a specific offense. if so we also need specific offenses for driving while eating a burger (or fishnchips); driving while breastfeeding baby (yes I have seen it!), driving while screwing ;, driving while this that and the other.

What's wrong with a simple "without due care and attention" . not being careful , not paying attention to driving.

Shadows
7th April 2006, 01:02
I saw a cop driving down Wainui Road this morning yabbering away on a cellphone tucked between his shoulder and his cheek. At least he had both hands free I guess, but what a fine example he was setting.

Lou Girardin
7th April 2006, 08:57
What's wrong with a simple "without due care and attention" . not being careful , not paying attention to driving.

See my post.

Ixion
7th April 2006, 10:10
No, I realise the present situation. What I'm saying is, instead of a new rule about cellphones, why not just a simple (new) general rule about "driving without proper care or attention". Which covers everything - but doesn't need an error or omission. Lower in the scale of offences than careless driving but covering all the stupidities we see each day. Paying attention to your cell phone instead of the road ? Kar-ching. Driving while reading the newspaper ? Kar-ching. Yapping away to your old biddy friend in the back seat instead of taking care with what you're about. Kar-ching.

(But I'm sure we used to have some such law, way back. C'mon you other old farts, help me on this . Motor Vehicle Act 1924 maybe? ).

ZeroIndex
7th April 2006, 10:31
No, I realise the present situation. What I'm saying is, instead of a new rule about cellphones, why not just a simple (new) general rule about "driving without proper care or attention". Which covers everything - but doesn't need an error or omission. Lower in the scale of offences than careless driving but covering all the stupidities we see each day. Paying attention to your cell phone instead of the road ? Kar-ching. Driving while reading the newspaper ? Kar-ching. Yapping away to your old biddy friend in the back seat instead of taking care with what you're about. Kar-ching.

(But I'm sure we used to have some such law, way back. C'mon you other old farts, help me on this . Motor Vehicle Act 1924 maybe? ).
haha, talking while driving a newspaper, reminds me of my friend's brother (who lives in switzerland). He was on the Autobahn with a work collegue and some Merc passed them at 250km/h (speed limiter), and the driver had a full-size newspaper spread across the wheel... another one: a 18-wheeler truck-driver was pulled over by a cop on the autobahn cause he was doing 160km/h... WHILE SHAVING!!!

SPman
7th April 2006, 11:02
No ones mentioned texting while riding a motorsickle..............

The Stranger
7th April 2006, 11:20
No, I realise the present situation. What I'm saying is, instead of a new rule about cellphones, why not just a simple (new) general rule about "driving without proper care or attention". Which covers everything - but doesn't need an error or omission.

And whom decides what constitutes proper care and attention under the circumstance?

I really feel that we should not be wishing for laws of a general nature. They should be clear and unambiguous. Now I realise that this is rarely the case, but to ask for ambiguous laws is crazy.

Ixion
7th April 2006, 11:54
Snake decides in first instance. If driver disagrees, judge decides. Lots of other laws that require such judgement.

Just another case of that wonderful thing, discretion. I'm sure that most cops are capable of deciding whether a driver's doing something stupid or not. If not, let the courts decide.

Rant mode on:

I disagree with this thing about "must have everything unambiguous".

That is why we now have such a fixation with "easily measurable" offences. Like speeding.

Because they are unambiguous. But the things that make the roads hazardous are usually the things that are not so easily measured . I very seldom get the "oh shit oh shit I'm gonna die" feeling because someone is speeding. But I do from lots of other shit that the idiots do.

Yet the dangerous stuff is by and large ignored by the traffic police. Why? Because of this obsession with "unambiguous"

Back in the days of the MoT, the snakes had a reputation for being nit picking bastards. I never found them so. On the occasions I did get pulled up, it was always because I had done something stupid (I was young, OK) .

I think the reason that they got that reputation , was because they focused less on minor transgressions of the unambiguous stuff (eg 111kph) and more on pulling drivers up for bad judgement, lack of consideration and simple stupidity. And as there was no offence of "driving like an A grade plonker" they used a bit of ingenuity to find a offence they could book plonker for.

Mr Plonker moans to his mates "Blurdy traffic cops- pulled me up today and ripped me a new one - nitpicky bastard, nothing I did was right according to him, even ended up giving me a ticket for not displaying an alternative fuel stciker. Bastards"

Meanwhile , back at Snake Central, TO Snake "Idiot might as well not have had eyes in his head, totally incompetant, lazy selfish git. Pity there's no law against being an incompetant lazy selfish git. Still I did ream him a new one, gave him a wake up about how useless he was, and managed to pick him up on not displaying an alternative fuel sticker, just to make the lesson stick in his mind"

I preferred the old way. I think it was better policing, encouraged discretion and accountability, and made for safer roads.

Rant mode off.

Ixion
7th April 2006, 11:59
Incidentally, I passed a classic case this morning. Plonker wove across all three lanes of the Panmure roundabout , whilst going straight through. Then nearly drove into the back of the cage in front of him. Pulled up level with his window, and he's got the cell phone in his right hand clamped to his ear yattering away , left forearm is holding some sort of book open on the steering wheel, and left hand is busy holding a pie .

Gave him a toot, and he near jumped out of his skin (I was ready for the reflex swerve ) , shook my head, and pointed. He just stared in that deer in headlights fashion. Sigh.

Lou Girardin
8th April 2006, 09:33
I think the reason that they got that reputation , was because they focused less on minor transgressions of the unambiguous stuff (eg 111kph) and more on pulling drivers up for bad judgement, lack of consideration and simple stupidity. And as there was no offence of "driving like an A grade plonker" they used a bit of ingenuity to find a offence they could book plonker for.

Mr Plonker moans to his mates "Blurdy traffic cops- pulled me up today and ripped me a new one - nitpicky bastard, nothing I did was right according to him, even ended up giving me a ticket for not displaying an alternative fuel stciker. Bastards"

Meanwhile , back at Snake Central, TO Snake "Idiot might as well not have had eyes in his head, totally incompetant, lazy selfish git. Pity there's no law against being an incompetant lazy selfish git. Still I did ream him a new one, gave him a wake up about how useless he was, and managed to pick him up on not displaying an alternative fuel sticker, just to make the lesson stick in his mind"

I preferred the old way. I think it was better policing, encouraged discretion and accountability, and made for safer roads.

Rant mode off.

Careful Ixion, this might catch on.
God forbid that anyone had a better way than current dogma has it.

DEATH_INC.
8th April 2006, 21:17
I've done this :gob:

u4ea
8th April 2006, 21:28
I've done this :gob:
not sure if thats good skill or very naughty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:whistle: :gob: :doh:

The Stranger
8th April 2006, 22:49
What had you been smoking when you wrote this?

As usual you go contradicting yourself and make great leaps of "logic"

First let me check, this is a piss take right?
You are just trying to wind me up aren't you?

Warr
8th April 2006, 22:52
Yea done all that. Its safer in a car tho you can use 2 hands