PDA

View Full Version : Owner reunited with motorbike… stolen in 1971

Bob
12th April 2006, 00:27
A motorcycle stolen 35 years ago is to be reunited with its owner.

The 1970, 360cc Yamaha was about to be shipped overseas to a Finnish man who bought it for USD 1,725 on EBay. During the shipping process, the vehicle identification number showed up in the database of the National Insurance Crime Bureau.

Long Beach police still had the theft report and tracked down the original owner, Phillip McKeen. A stunned McKeen said "It's as if a friend you hadn't seen for 30 years walked back into your life but hadn't aged a day."

The 35-year-old bike has just 9,380 miles on the odometer.

Neither the Finnish buyer nor the seller is suspected of wrongdoing.

sunhuntin
12th April 2006, 17:07
amazing......good stuff. glad to hear that....at least for some, theres hope.

u4ea
12th April 2006, 17:22
unreal:wari:

Motu
12th April 2006, 20:33
Wish our records in NZ went back that far,they wipe them too soon.I bought a stolen bike once,and didn't know about it until later.This was pre VIN days,and to reregister you had to take it into a Cop Shop and they ran the numbers,if all clear she was good to go.So this bike had been checked out by the Cops 6 mths previous.One of my workmates said he used to own the bike a few years ago,his uncle had stolen it - gee,thanks mate.I knew his uncle,he was a thief and I'm pretty sure the claim was correct,but I couldn't prove it - his word that he did against the Cops that he didn't....um,something wrong there I think.I just had to ride my legal bike I was pretty sure really belonged to someone else....

UrbanMyth
19th April 2006, 18:15
awesome.Man you know your motorbike news lol

Dont_die_wondering
26th April 2006, 18:36
shit, the guy must be estatic, hes lucky

buck
27th April 2006, 11:07
back in 1982 i hade the misfortune to having 2 bikes stolen from my parents farm shed near fielding. This gives me hope ya just never know aye.
mmay as well mention them while i'm here. John Player special Norton Commando and silver jubilee Triumph.

Someone also mentioned how nz records arn't kept long enough, how long????

DemonWolf
27th April 2006, 11:11
Welcome to the site buck =)

Blairos
27th April 2006, 11:37
I like hearing good news such as this...

Fishy
27th April 2006, 11:39
Far out thats awesome. The original owner would be stoked!.