PDA

View Full Version : GPZ1000rx sluggish sub 3000rmp

The Pastor
14th April 2006, 19:24
Ive just picked up a nice 85 gpz1000rx and it goes fine except for under 3000rpm where it shakes and shudders untill I pul the clutch in and give it a little curry.

Im guessing the carbs need a good clean as it is an older bike, Would some one be kind enough to show me how to do it?

WINJA
14th April 2006, 21:03
Ive just picked up a nice 85 gpz1000rx and it goes fine except for under 3000rpm where it shakes and shudders untill I pul the clutch in and give it a little curry.

Im guessing the carbs need a good clean as it is an older bike, Would some one be kind enough to show me how to do it?
YOU CAN PHOTOCOPY SOME OF THE MANUAL FROM THE LIBRARY , THOSE ARE GOOD BIKES FOR THERE DAY , THEY RESPOND WELL TO A FULL SYSTEM , SOME JETTING AND AN IGNITION ADVANCER , IF YOU DO THAT ITD BE AS FAST AS A 96 BLADE IN A STRAIGHT LINE

Sensei
14th April 2006, 21:11
THOSE ARE GOOD BIKES FOR THERE DAY , THEY RESPOND WELL TO A FULL SYSTEM , SOME JETTING AND AN IGNITION ADVANCER , IF YOU DO THAT ITD BE AS FAST AS A 96 BLADE IN A STRAIGHT LINE

Only a 96 don't ya mean 06 :rofl: :kick:

WINJA
14th April 2006, 21:57
Only a 96 don't ya mean 06 :rofl: :kick:
ITS BULL SHIT AY , I OWNED BOTH THOSE BIKES AND FAIR GO THOSE EARLY KAWASAKIS WERE YEARS AHEAD OF THEIR TIME IN ALL RESPECTS .
IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING YOU CAN DO A CAM CHAIN ON A 1000RX IN ABOUT HALF AN HOUR , SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES TO DO ANY OTHER BIKE OF THE SAME YEAR

WINJA
15th April 2006, 10:38
here tis , sometimes its best to let the pros fix brakes

The Pastor
15th April 2006, 11:07
WOAH HOLD THE PHONE!!!! YOUR CAPS KEY IS FIXED????????

Cheers mate - I'll book her in one day just want to learn what excatly is wrong

WINJA
15th April 2006, 12:24
a little tip for thos bikes they have an ecentric adjust for the chain , turn it 180 degres so the axle is at the bottom not the top , it makes them handle a bit better , get some progressive springs for the front as well

FROSTY
15th April 2006, 17:16
Ya might have crap in your carbs or ya might have a shit 4 into 1 system on the ol gal--the older CV carbed bikes diddnt like 4 into 1 zorsts without propper rejetting

The Pastor
15th April 2006, 17:34
THEY RESPOND WELL TO A FULL SYSTEM , SOME JETTING AND AN IGNITION ADVANCER , IF YOU DO THAT ITD BE AS FAST AS A 96 BLADE IN A STRAIGHT LINE

I took her out for a spin today (brakes still leaking but working!) and opened her right out..... I dont think I have to worry about more power just yet.......

Ya might have crap in your carbs or ya might have a shit 4 into 1 system on the ol gal--the older CV carbed bikes diddnt like 4 into 1 zorsts without propper rejetting

Has 4 into 2 mate, Sounds beautiful. :)

a little tip for thos bikes they have an ecentric adjust for the chain , turn it 180 degres so the axle is at the bottom not the top , it makes them handle a bit better , get some progressive springs for the front as well

At the risk of sounding noob (although I am one...) What does that mean :whistle:
:stupid:

Now onto the brakes, There leaking but from where? I think Ive traced it to this thing (circled on the attached pic) But what excatly is it and what does it do?. [Note its leaking from the same thing but on the RHS - Pic is of the LHS)

Also at the bottom of the forks thers a turn thing with 1-2-3 on it, what does that do?

Thanks for all the help so far :D

FROSTY
15th April 2006, 18:22
dude its VERY unusual for the brakes to spring a leak. I'd suspect more that the fork seal has sprung a leak in the past and you have shit all down your fork leg and onto your brakes.
Dude rather than guessing I'll be happy to have a look at her and see if we can sort it out.
As for the adjuster things--They were a friggin useless fashion statement -almost totally useless.You're better off to disconnect em.

T.W.R
15th April 2006, 18:23
At the risk of sounding noob (although I am one...) What does that mean :whistle:
:stupid:

Now onto the brakes, There leaking but from where? I think Ive traced it to this thing (circled on the attached pic) But what excatly is it and what does it do?. [Note its leaking from the same thing but on the RHS - Pic is of the LHS)

Also at the bottom of the forks thers a turn thing with 1-2-3 on it, what does that do?

What WINJA is talking about inverting the chain adjusters either side of the swingarm (see pic, cylindrical carriers for the axle), instead of having them at the 12 o'clock area have them at the 6 o'clock.

what you've circled in the pic is the anti dive units. more a gimmick thing than an a useful item.

geoffm
15th April 2006, 18:31

Looks like an anti-dive unit. All the rage at the time, but generally a solution looking for a problem...
Where is it leaking from - out of the pipe join or...?
Easiest way might be to block them off.
Geoff

WINJA
15th April 2006, 20:23
Looks like an anti-dive unit. All the rage at the time, but generally a solution looking for a problem...
Where is it leaking from - out of the pipe join or...?
Easiest way might be to block them off.
Geoff
YOU MIGHT NEED THE PROPER PLATE TO BLOCK IT OFF , DONT FORGET IT WAS DESIGNED TO HAVE ANTI DIVE THE VALVING FOR FORKS WERENT SO GOOD THEN .

THE 1-2-3 IS THE AMOUNT OF COMPRESSION DAMPING YOU WANT

The Pastor
15th April 2006, 20:37
See those square rib things? theres a join just above it- on the pic the top is lighter than the base, i'll try to block it off shouldnt be too hard.

Frosty: I'll take you up on that offer :D

The Pastor
18th April 2006, 19:30
Well I disconnected the side that was leaking- just un screwed the pipe and put a solid bolt and locktite on it.

Is it bad that now one side has the "anti dive valve" or what ever and the other doesnt? I havnt ridden her yet.... (tapped the brake up for the night to get rid of any air bubbles)

FROSTY
18th April 2006, 19:38
Sorry RM--bring her by my work if ya like--before 5.30 or call me tonite /tomorrow and Ill have a sqizzie --
Ohh and me --Id get rid of both of em --then feel the brakes feel improve,.

The Pastor
18th April 2006, 20:20
Sorry RM--bring her by my work if ya like--before 5.30 or call me tonite /tomorrow and Ill have a sqizzie --
Ohh and me --Id get rid of both of em --then feel the brakes feel improve,.

Several things wrong there mate:weird:

I dont know your phone number
I dont know where you work
I've fixed the brakes so I dont need to give you a call or have you look at my bike :rolleyes: :niceone:

But do you know how to sort out the othe issue, the carbs?

The Pastor
20th April 2006, 22:49
Well Ive taken the carbs off and put them back on - what a mission 3hrs and counting (just need to attach the gas tank) but they were as clean as a whistle so booking her in for a tune + service tomorrow, depending on payday...