PDA

View Full Version : Dubai police seize “800 motorbikes in 13 months”

Bob
15th April 2006, 06:48
If you think NZ police are heavy handed towards bikers, think again.

Dubai police have seized 800 motorbikes in the past 13 months for breaking traffic regulations. The owners of the confiscated machines are between the ages of 13 and 25 and many tended to use their bikes during holiday times.

vtec
18th April 2006, 21:10
Fascism at its finest. :mega:

NZ's on the way too. Watch V for Vendetta to make you feel better.

Dafe
18th April 2006, 21:13
I hear NZ currency converts to more in Dubai!

Hooray - Everyone can buy a superbike for travelling from A to B.
So whats the deal with confiscation in Dubai? Do you get it back?

Bob
20th April 2006, 01:40
No idea, but I'd assume once they're taken, that is the last you see of them.

To give this a little more perspective, I looked into the population figures. Dubai has 1,000,000 inhabitants. Now if 1% of the populace ride, that is 10,000 bikers. So 800 bikes is just shy of 10% of that figure!

So if you're planning to ride in Dubai, make sure you behave yourself!

Bob
20th April 2006, 02:05
I hear NZ currency converts to more in Dubai!

Hooray - Everyone can buy a superbike for travelling from A to B.

I think you may be putting things a l i t t l e simplistically here...

1.00 NZD = 2.325 AED - so you're right, you get more Dirhams for your Dollar. But how much do bikes sell for there? And in NZ? There are little other things like cost of living etc to take into account!

For example, Kawasaki ER-6f. Retail price here in the UK is GBP 4,899 - which equates to NZD 13,800 roughly. According to Kawasaki NZ, they are asking NZD 11,750 - which is GBP 4,150 give or take a couple of quid. Quite a difference. OK we earn more, but we have higher prices to cope with, so we need the extra cash!

So things aren't simple as "one to one" - you've got to bear in mind local conditions.

thehollowmen
20th April 2006, 11:52
Quite a difference. OK we earn more, but we have higher prices to cope with, so we need the extra cash!

You've never been offered a job there have you?

Could have just about doubled my NZ salary over there.

UrbanMyth
20th April 2006, 20:20
aww sucks to be those guys.I would be so sad if my bike got taken :(

Bob
20th April 2006, 21:17
You've never been offered a job there have you?

Could have just about doubled my NZ salary over there.

True - but how much does a bike cost, compared to NZ? If it is double, then you're back to Square One.

It is all relative you know...

kickingzebra
20th April 2006, 22:10
Isn't dubai the place to go and race your porsche around at stupid speeds? If so, why do they pull up motorcyclists? They would be saints compared with the carified masses.

Blairos
20th April 2006, 22:32
I was in Dubai in December, didnt notice that many bikes to be honest...

Couldnt help but attach 2 pics, 1st one is the queue of trucks that head over the border to Oman every day to carry out road construction etc - we had overtaken over 50 of them when this pic was taken , the 2nd one is a very nice Belly Dancer... (russian I think :) )

Karitane pete
9th May 2006, 21:31
Isn't dubai the place to go and race your porsche around at stupid speeds? If so, why do they pull up motorcyclists? They would be saints compared with the carified masses.
so you can race about in a Porsche! they needed more room for the tin tops.