PDA

View Full Version : performance mods? sv1000

kiwifruit
18th April 2006, 15:02
my old man has bought an 02 sv1000 as a track bike
its "too slow" :lol:
he is now looking at engine performance mods......
what to do?
is there an EMS for these bikes?
cams?
turbo? :D jks
looking for advice from those in the know, or those who have taken a simalar path.

Thanks in advance, Allan.

imdying
18th April 2006, 15:07
Do the 20c TRE mod first, that should sort him out :)

kiwifruit
18th April 2006, 15:09
what does this 20c mod involve?

imdying
18th April 2006, 15:23
Essentially it's nothing more than putting a 20c resistor across a couple of wires attached to the ecu. Look at SpankMe's profile, follow his homepage link. At that site (the SV1000 portal) there's heaps of step by step guides for doing it. Piece a cake. Just deresticts (takes the timing retard off) the first 4? gears, easy off the throttle wheelies, little bit crisper response etc.

kiwifruit
18th April 2006, 15:24
awesome, thanks for that :D

imdying
18th April 2006, 15:39
Yeah, those fellas have all sorts of things they do.

PAIR mod - removes the fresh air into the exhaust thingy ma bobs (saves a kg or two), Chewy makes a kit, plus heaps of other neat stuff
TRE mod - as above, and dead cheap
Airbox snorkel removal - adds 2hp?
Tank lift kit - more air gets in, good for another couple of hp
Aftermarkert mufflers - louder :D
Full system - few more ponies
Lose the grab rail - 10kg off
GSXR front end - 6 pots, better handling, trick looking USD forks
Power Commander - Improve the mid range, plus a little more top end
Black box dealer mod - they plug into the factory ecu and remove the noise and emission control torque curve dips

Those are the easy ones I know of :) They're a slow bike, he might just have to accept that. I've seen footage of them giving 600s a hard time at the track, but regardless, the 600 is probably still a better tool.

kiwifruit
18th April 2006, 15:55
thanks for that imdying :)
yeah, i tryed to tell him to get a gsxr :Pokey:
i think he likes a challenge :shutup:

Two Smoker
18th April 2006, 16:06
Yeah, those fellas have all sorts of things they do.

PAIR mod - removes the fresh air into the exhaust thingy ma bobs (saves a kg or two), Chewy makes a kit, plus heaps of other neat stuff
TRE mod - as above, and dead cheap
Airbox snorkel removal - adds 2hp?
Tank lift kit - more air gets in, good for another couple of hp
Aftermarkert mufflers - louder :D
Full system - few more ponies
GSXR front end - 6 pots, better handling, trick looking USD forks
Power Commander - Improve the mid range, plus a little more top end
Black box dealer mod - they plug into the factory ecu and remove the noise and emission control torque curve dips

Those are the easy ones I know of :) They're a slow bike, he might just have to accept that. I've seen footage of them giving 600s a hard time at the track, but regardless, the 600 is probably still a better tool.

Wicked info here... but i think the best option... buy a 600 supersport...

imdying
18th April 2006, 16:16
Yeah, through the hills the twin is all good... just roll on and off, and guns out of corners nicely.

I've not modded mine yet excepting the single seat, but after the 1000k service on Thursday it'll get carbon fibre micron cans and a TRE.

klingon
18th April 2006, 16:46

That's some impressive grab rail! ;)

imdying
18th April 2006, 17:02
If only it was just a typo :lol:

manuboy
18th April 2006, 17:29
Again, check spankme's sv-portal.com forum. There are piles of links.

SV thou's ARE raced, mainly in the states. I think the reason being there are classes to suit. The problem here would be the class? The 650's are allowed into F3. On an SV thou you don't wanna be racing in open production (if you want to be competitive) but you don't qualify for much else - clubmans?

http://www.motorcycleridesinamerica.com/SV1000.htm

These guys (vesrah) have an SV thou that won 10/10 races by large margins - against Duc's, Aprilia's etc. But with 120ish HP hard to tell what the other machines actually were!

http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/suzuki_SV.htm

These guys supply cams and other engine internals.

How much he want to spend? By the time you sort cams, suspension / rims, power commander (more for tuneability than outright HP) etc you've thrown a few squids at it.

Bottom line is the bike isn't really suited to any classed here. Sell it, get a 650 and be (depending obviously on rider skill) competitive in F3.

Other than that i assume the small things have already been tried (pipes + filter then remap FI, convert to 520 sprocket / chain set, remove everything you can remove, decent plugs, pair removal...). TRE is funny. I still haven't seen a dyno output that proved conclusively that theres an advantage - only seat of the pants reports. In fact JHS (from memory) specifically don't do the TRE mod....

onearmedbandit
18th April 2006, 18:30
The tre mod won't give more hp as such, but crispen initial throttle response, making the bike 'react' quicker.

imdying
18th April 2006, 18:45
Yep, no extra peak power from the TRE mod, just midrange . I'm guessing that the timing restriction tapers off towards the redline. By all accounts, it's a worthy mod.

2much
18th April 2006, 18:54
Hey Allan,

I can do that TRE for you when I'm down for the trackday next week if you like. $10 for a switchable one or non-switchable for free as I've got a couple of spare resistors lying around. Just make sure there's a few cold ones in the fridge ;)

cowpoos
18th April 2006, 19:14
any tl1000 mods are good.... http://www.terryshepherdtuning.com/
also PM TLDV8 he will have lots of links for performance enhancments for the tl/sv motors...

but he's wasting his time racing one of those unless its just for fun....get a 6 hundy

FROSTY
18th April 2006, 19:26
dude the other guys have pretty well covered it off.
Im guessing by 'track bike' you mean track day bike.
To start with -1 Theres fuck all wrong with the front suspension that a bit of tuning wont fix.
2 Exhaust wise -I cant reccomend the M4 system too much --slightly louder than stock but with charted performance improvements.
3) the tank lift mod is petty easy to do yaself.
4) filter wise I wouldn't piss around-Go for a BMC filter -again proven improvement

cowpoos
18th April 2006, 19:49
Im guessing by 'track bike' you mean track day bike.
To start with -1 Theres fuck all wrong with the front suspension that a bit of tuning wont fix.
2 Exhaust wise -I cant reccomend the M4 system too much --slightly louder than stock but with charted performance improvements.
3) the tank lift mod is petty easy to do yaself.
4) filter wise I wouldn't piss around-Go for a BMC filter -again proven improvement
the M4 systems [two to one] has the biggest gains on the TL derived motors

imdying
18th April 2006, 21:31
-1 Theres fuck all wrong with the front suspension that a bit of tuning wont fix.Yeah, I've got a black sv with black pipes, I'd love a set of K6 black slider unobtanium forks with radial calipers... that'd look wicky :lol:

But back in reality land... the stock (unsetup) ones are little firm even for my fat butt, but nice and predictable :)

Dafe
18th April 2006, 21:45
This is the best SV site I found on the web.

http://www.sv-portal.com/

FROSTY
18th April 2006, 21:52
Poos--Yea i know --I'm running an M4 on Black ice --what they say they do---OHH YEA baby they do
Imdying--mate keep in mind theyre basicly pre USD gixxer forks -you'll be amased how well they'll work with a lil setup time/work.
brakes wise though- tricky stuff looks good but to be honest If I had my time over I'da fitted a TL1000 to black ice--heaps easier to set up.

imdying
18th April 2006, 21:56
Yeah, I was totally ignoring any sort of make it go better, and totally focussing on the looking better part :lol:

Doing over a thousand kms this weekend, I'll have fiddle along the way :)

kiwifruit
18th April 2006, 23:35
Thanks for all the info everyone :D
I know (dunno if Dad does :Pokey: ) the bike is never gonna be "competitive".
Its is only a track day bike, so its not really racing as such :D
Really, a crisp 600 would have been far more fitting,
but then he would have no excuse for getting the learn from me
:Pokey: :Pokey: :Pokey: :Pokey:

2much, sounds good man, cheers for the offer, you are a legend!
consider the fridge stocked :doobey:

2much
19th April 2006, 00:18
Sweet as mate, let me know if you want a switched one cause I'll need to make it before I come down.

imdying
19th April 2006, 08:37
I wouldn't panic too much. Give them some slicks and ditch any excess weight... as far as track days go, he won't be getting hassled too much by the 600s from what I've seen.

kiwifruit
20th April 2006, 11:24
2much, i will take you up on the non switched version bro
thanks heaps