PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha develops “light in the dark” motorcycle technology

Bob
19th April 2006, 23:47
Yamaha has developed a special surface film for motorcycles that stores energy from the sun's rays and emits it in the form of dim light after dusk. The technology involves pasting a thin film on which graphic patterns are printed onto the exterior of a motorcycle's components in a vacuum chamber.

Yamaha will trial the technology on a special version of its EC-02 electric-powered motorcycle. A Yahama official said, "If the product proves popular, we will consider applying the new technology to other new motorcycle models."

Ham
19th April 2006, 23:53
And then the NZ LTSA will deem it illegal and you will have a pretty racebike

kickingzebra
19th April 2006, 23:58
New technology? tell that to the cute little stars that glow in the dark on the ceiling of one of the rooms in my house, or to the little dots on each number of my analogue watch face...
Only yamaha would take toast, and call it a new invention...
Then everyone else would copy, and call it something else again.

Skyryder
22nd April 2006, 21:36
Trust the Japs to take credit for something they did not invent. This stuffs been round for yonks.

http://www.riskreactor.com/Glow_In_The_Dark_Paint/Glow_in_the_Dark_Paint_Main.htm

Skyryder

Bob
22nd April 2006, 23:39
I think, to be honest, they're not trying to claim that they have invented phosphorescence. What they have done is to create a thin phosphorescent coating (that has to be specially applied in a vacuum chamber) that is damage resistant.

Try painting some glow in the dark paint on a bike and see how long it last before rain, stones or whatever damage it.

Even with Yamaha's reputation for finish (only owned one and to be honest it lasted much better than, for example, any Suzuki I've owned), they have to try to keep their bikes looking decent!

beyond
23rd April 2006, 16:05
Be pretty good for finding your bike in the dark, or when you are tanked, or when you're hooched out.

Not so good if you are one of those that contemplate doing a runner with your lights off.

Bob
26th April 2006, 03:02
Be pretty good for finding your bike in the dark, or when you are tanked, or when you're hooched out.

I thought "tanked" and "hooched out" were the same thing?

And I'd suggest riding your bike in either (if there is an "either") condition would be, well, a 'little silly' putting it mildly... the days of a valid defence of "I'm sorry, M'Lud for hitting the gentleman, but I'd had a couple of pints before heading home" ended something like 80 years ago I believe.

u4ea
26th April 2006, 03:10
just woke up ay this stupid time of day.......but i rekon that coating is still a step forward in the right direction ,not just because i own a yammi,wont be on it forever,and yea ltsa will find a way of keeping the costs high regardless.that is why there is the term rogue rider i guess.........:ride: :msn-wink: