PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out the baffle on FXR150???

bobsmith
30th April 2006, 12:43
Hi all. So I'm thinking I would like a little more power out of my FXR150 (I've been getting frustrated trying to pass cages that decided to speed up when they realise that I'm trying to pass them - jerks!)

I've read that cutting out the baffle on the muffler usually works well, but when I went to have a look at the muffler, I noticed that it's not a slip on which I can unbolt and slip out to work on it.... now, I'm wondering if anyone's done this and can give me advice on how to go about it (pictures would be perfect!!!!!)

Thanks in advance

PS - I've also been told that getting a bigger carb might help along with the baffle removal, can anyone tell me if there are any carbs that will bolt straight on without mod? if the tuning of new carbs difficult?

Thanks

inlinefour
30th April 2006, 13:00
I take it you never want anoth warrent then. If you really want more power, get a bigger/faster bike eh.:nya:

aff-man
30th April 2006, 13:04
I take it you never want anoth warrent then. If you really want more power, get a bigger/faster bike eh.:nya:

huh?? If the muffler still looks stock but is a bit louder (maybe don't take out all the baffles) he should be sweet. Hell my bike is a screamer.

And about the carb. I think there is a thread on here somewhere. I remember reading that maybe a dirtbike carb fits on or something. Can't quite recall though

inlinefour
30th April 2006, 13:16
huh?? If the muffler still looks stock but is a bit louder (maybe don't take out all the baffles) he should be sweet. Hell my bike is a screamer.

And about the carb. I think there is a thread on here somewhere. I remember reading that maybe a dirtbike carb fits on or something. Can't quite recall though

My DRZ baffle was removed and more holes put into it, then re-welded in. Its louder, dunno about faster as Ive never ridden another, but told its quicker. Allways an option, but I believe with the new exhaust laws, removing a baffle(s) might be a wrong move.:nono:

bobsmith
30th April 2006, 13:19
If you really want more power, get a bigger/faster bike eh.:nya:

Well that might be my option if I had more money, but since I'm a student and my parents don't even know that I have a bike...... Any constructive suggestions?

inlinefour
30th April 2006, 13:24
Well that might be my option if I had more money, but since I'm a student and my parents don't even know that I have a bike...... Any constructive suggestions?

As I was a student going on 3 years ago, I know what its like. Back then I could not even afford a bike, so your one up on me there. If I was you, I'd leave the bike standard as if your anything like I was, can't afford any mistakes. Once the training is over, use the bike as a trade in on whateveritisyouwant. I've started a collection, you'll get what you want eventually, just have to get the training over and start working to buy the nice toys eh.

Flyingpony
30th April 2006, 14:41
Remember reading about the carb myself too ... it more or less bolted straight on ... think it was a DR200. Definitely was a 200cc dirt bike. Do a search for it.

There are racing cam's and racing CDI units available. There's a wrecker on the North Island selling them. Again, do a search for it.

In all honestly, best leave it as is and upgrade to something bigger. The factory did a good job with this bike.

aff-man
30th April 2006, 16:10
As I was a student going on 3 years ago, I know what its like. Back then I could not even afford a bike, so your one up on me there. If I was you, I'd leave the bike standard as if your anything like I was, can't afford any mistakes. Once the training is over, use the bike as a trade in on whateveritisyouwant. I've started a collection, you'll get what you want eventually, just have to get the training over and start working to buy the nice toys eh.

Hey I'm a student. Still broke as fuck. First bike I had was an 88 vt250F SE . Went like stink untill I bent the crankshaft...

Got dropped in the deepend and did an engine replacement myself. Then I stuck a "modified" vfr400 pipe on the bike and it ran heaps better.

So you can always have your bike modified right here at aff's rangi garage.

Pathos
30th April 2006, 16:45
ah yes there can be some real arsehole drivers around PN,

I find mobil synergy 5000/8000 adds a horse or two, makes it much more comfortable on the open road alot easier to reach 130 where it stops climbing on my bike.

I heard that the carb mod was a bit more than just a swap, you have to reshape a piece or two.

Not anything really worth doing to a fxr in my book if you want to sell it later.

Warren
30th April 2006, 17:48
I don't think you will be getting any real noticeable power out by modifying the bike (But I could be wrong). My advice is to save your money for a bigger bike a few months/years down the track.

bobsmith
30th April 2006, 19:35
So you can always have your bike modified right here at aff's rangi garage.

Hehe, I wish I was still living in AKLD. This place is way to flat for my liking, all the roads are straight and parking is too plentiful... oh hangon, that last bit wasn't a complaint, but still feels strange...

I just thought cutting out the baffle might be something I can do for free that might give it just a little more.... Will try different fuel for this bike, definately might make a difference on a hot summer's day for sure. Oh well with the winter coming the bike should go a little faster anyway...

froggyfrenchman
30th April 2006, 19:39

Inline has hit the nail on the head here...

Sketchy_Racer
30th April 2006, 19:49
I have a FXR 150....

Do you want to see what happened when i tried to remove the baffle.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :killingme :killingme !!!!!!!!!!!!

bobsmith
30th April 2006, 19:57
Thanks RG100.... I'm thinking I'm in way above my head.... I think I'll just stick to the stock fxr150....

Sketchy_Racer
30th April 2006, 20:28
the best upgrade you could do for more corner fun is new tires

aff-man
30th April 2006, 20:37
the best upgrade you could do for more corner fun is new tires

Yeh put some tyres the use for bucket racing on they will make the bike handel better.

Oh or you could turbo it......

Sketchy_Racer
30th April 2006, 21:30
Dunlop tt900s seem to be a good tire

bobsmith
1st May 2006, 08:51
What sizes do dunop tt900s come in? I've been thinking about a new tyre since my front tyre is on its way out anyway... (It looks like new but when I had a closer look at the thread I realised that it's near the minimum for wof...)

R6_kid
1st May 2006, 11:17
my mate had an arrow carbon fibre exhaust, the same type that they put on ducati's... and it sounded exactly like 1/4 a ducati - same noise, but a little less raw. Pipe was worth $900 and it came with the bike so he was lucky, considering that a FXR was only worth $2500 on a good day when he bought it.

bobsmith
1st May 2006, 12:00
damn I wish my fxr came with a carbon exhaust.... a bit too much to spend on a fxr isn't it?

bobsmith
1st May 2006, 14:55
So I made a few calls around Palmy (it seems I do need a new tyre... front needs to be replaced soon, and not sure about rear, it has more than front but It will probably get eaten through soonish (still have a few month)....) and it seems that no one around here has Dunlop TT900 or pirelli MT75 in the sizes that I want, in fact the only tyres they had are IRC tyres......

Does anyone know who might have BT900 or M75 in the sizes I need around palmy? (80/90 on the front and 100/90 on the rear) or anyone who would be willing to courier the tyres to palmy?

I noticed that the people I rang up are saying that they only have 110/90 (or was it 110/80) for the rear, given the original size is 100/90 for the rear, what different sizes do you think I can accept? what's a reasonable price for fitting the tyres?

Thanks

Sketchy_Racer
1st May 2006, 21:40
My FXR used to have a 90/80/17 on the front and a 110/90/17 on the rear. It is the only size that you will be able to get any good tires for. Also they fit perfect. Better than a 80 and a 100 IMO

bobsmith
1st May 2006, 22:07
Where did you get your tyres? and which brand? I'm trying to find someone who has tyres other than IRC, and hopefully something decent like bt900 or mt75 for my bike.

XTC
2nd May 2006, 22:00
Surely you can just tell the shop what you want and they'll either phone Forbes and Davies (dunlop) or Nationwide accessories (Pirelli) and get you what you want? That is if their parts guy is onto it?

kickingzebra
2nd May 2006, 22:11
I got my FXR from Phill Turnbull, but the people that looked after me for parts and tyres etc, and were SHITLOADS cheaper for servicing were Joe Letts in Wangas. Worth the 3 bucks of gas it will take to get there!!
Phone them first on tyres and stuff though.
(bear in mind, when I had mine, they were still suzuki agents, but aren't any more)

bobsmith
2nd May 2006, 22:44
I rang Phill Turnbull, and the guy that I talked to basically said, it's not worth the hassle, and it's very hard to find, blah blah, not very helpful and just said I should get IRC tyres... duh... I can get IRC tyres from manawatu motorcycles cheaper I think (the guy couldn't quote the exact price since his computer was down though, so they still might be cheaper). - obiously their parts guy "wasn't" onto it....

bobsmith
2nd May 2006, 22:46
Where did you get your tyre for fxr150 from RG100???

kickingzebra
2nd May 2006, 22:47
PM Kevie about tyres. He has some friends who have some friends... He is in Marton, but works in Palmy, and I recall him getting some mint deals on tyres and consumables.
What I was trying to say is that Phil turnbull were expensive, and not overly helpful, but Joe Lett did me alright, back in the day

bobsmith
2nd May 2006, 23:00
damn, sorry I read your post too quick and throught you were saying the other way around... Will do, thanks.

aff-man
2nd May 2006, 23:18
TURBO IT

10 characters bla bla bla

kickingzebra
2nd May 2006, 23:22
TURBO IT

10 characters bla bla bla
I swore to myself after parting with mine, that i would one day buy one, and rediculously overpower it. nitro, turbo, the whole hog. Thats going to be a great day

bobsmith
3rd May 2006, 07:39
Okay.... better turbo my lawnmower while I'm at it.

The Pastor
4th May 2006, 13:04
Just get a BIG screw driver and smash your exhasust till its loud, easy as man. Dont listen to theses woman. LOUD IS BETTER. If you stuff it up you can just buy another pipe. Better still saw off your muffler and bobs your uncle, no wait he'd be a smith. (smash the hole not the outside...)