PDA

View Full Version : Goes hard gets warm/hot then goes shit!

Stopper Dan
1st May 2006, 15:13
At first i figured my battery was the culprit but now im not so sure, the bike goes real well (hard and fast) untill it gets warmer/hot then it starts gurgleing and only just running, whereby by i have to nurse it home in low revs.

Help Please anyone ??

steved
1st May 2006, 15:16
At first i figured my battery was the culprit but now im not so sure, the bike goes real well (hard and fast) untill it gets warmer/hot then it starts gurgleing and only just running, whereby by i have to nurse it home in low revs.

Help Please anyone ??Is your cooling system overheating? Is your radiator reservoir boiling over?

Smokin
1st May 2006, 15:20
Faulty coil perhaps?

bobsmith
1st May 2006, 15:33
Suspect oberheating.... [insert component of your choice here]... or what grade of fuel are you using?, try using a higher octane fuel - if you're getting detonation this *MIGHT* fix it... - depending on how lucky you are, probably something more expensive, but can't hurt to try it and if you are really luckly, might be a really cheap fix.... - Never had detonation in my engines so I don't know what they sound like but it happens when the engine is hot (or has carbon deposits, etc...) and higher grade fuel can sometimes solve the problem.

Stopper Dan
1st May 2006, 15:42
Is your cooling system overheating? Is your radiator reservoir boiling over?
yes what does this mean ??

F5 Dave
1st May 2006, 16:30
You probably have an ignition problem
Coils, either the ones connected to your sparkplugs, or more likely the stator ones can be affected by the heat if they are damaged but can come right when cold. May drain the battery & ignition suffers. But you have ruled out the battery/charging?

The other option is that the Tank breather is blocked or the line to the carbs from the tank has collapsed or has a kink (aftermarket filter is often a problem) or tap blocked with rust. This would cause the bike to run fine while there is petrol in the carbs, but this dies off to a trickle & the bike hardly runs. I had a bike that would go just fine around town but on the motorway the filter kink would starve it.

Rule out option 2 before starting on 1. I bet someone has sealed the tank at some stage.

Shadows
1st May 2006, 22:49
yes what does this mean ??

Dude sounds like the engine is overheating big time and about to seize. Maybe a head gasket if your coolant is getting pressurised. Get it fixed before it seizes up properly and locks up your back wheel on the motorway!!!

steved
2nd May 2006, 09:44
Dude sounds like the engine is overheating big time and about to seize. Maybe a head gasket if your coolant is getting pressurised. Get it fixed before it seizes up properly and locks up your back wheel on the motorway!!!Yeah, head gasket looks like a possibility. Other symptoms of a blown head gasket include steam out the exhaust, bubbles in the radiator and 'milky' oil (water+oil=milky colloidal suspension).

There are a few symptoms of a blown head gasket. The first one is loss of coolant. Coolant can be lost from the leak in the gasket into the cylinder. From there it can go past the piston rings and into the crankcase or it can be forced out of the exhaust system by the action of the piston coming up on the exhaust stroke.

If the coolant enters the crankcase it mixes with engine oil. Of course oil and water don't mix very well but the presence of ethylene glycol (anti freeze) and the agitation caused by the crankshaft and other moving parts can whip the mixture of coolant and oil into a milkshake.

If the coolant is forced out of the exhaust system it is usually heated by the hot exhaust manifold and the rest of the exhaust system. This results in a sweet smelling steam emanating from the tailpipe. The steam is rather persistent, that is it will hover in the air and not dissipate like the normal steam that comes from the combustion process.

The first check is to see if there are combustion gasses getting into the cooling system. Take a sample of the coolant and go to the local radiator shop and request that they analyze the coolant for the presence of hydrocarbons. If they are present then it is most likely that you have a blown head gasket.

Another check is to look at the oil of a warmed up engine. The antifreeze in the oil will whip it up into a frothy brown mixture that looks like a milk shake. If it looks like chocolate mousse then you probably have a blown head gasket.

Another check is to fill the cooling system to the brim and remove the radiator cap. Do this when the engine is cool. Start the engine and race it. If there is a compression leak and the gasses are going into the cooling jacket then the gasses will displace the coolant. Since the cap is off the coolant will be pushed out of the radiator. You probably have a blown head gasket.

My bike is currently with a mechanic getting the head gasket fixed. Pray that is is something easier like a faulty thermostat.

F5 Dave
2nd May 2006, 10:28
Man you guys are the Harbingers of death aren't you? I mean unless I missed something he didn't mention that the bike was overheating or billowing white smoke?

imdying
2nd May 2006, 10:39
Man you guys are the Harbingers of death aren't you? I mean unless I missed something he didn't mention that the bike was overheating or billowing white smoke?See post #5.

F5 Dave
2nd May 2006, 10:42
Ahh, Opps, sorry- I didn't read the YES bit. Well hell -why the heck didn't he say that at the begining? I mean that's pretty obviously a problem.

imdying
2nd May 2006, 10:53
I mean that's pretty obviously a problem.One would think...

T.I.E
2nd May 2006, 10:55
check ya theromstat, do they have one?

Stopper Dan
3rd May 2006, 13:27
i replaced the igniter and one of the coils now shes all good except now theres an oil or maybe water leak i cant figure where its comminig from, water pump area somewhere arrrgh

T.I.E
3rd May 2006, 14:03
check your thermostat if ya have one. my spelling is crap i should some with a warning. if it is not working properly that can cause your bike to over heat. or run a higher operating temp.
wish i could see the bike.
surely someone down there could pop over.
peer presure maybe?

F5 Dave
3rd May 2006, 14:14
. . . my spelling is crap i should some with a warning. . . .
then get a copy of word & spell check that. Like the rest of us do. . . So I've heard.

So it has a leak, of water or oil? Which is it? Water is generally clear & doesn't taste of much. Oil is neither & slippery, just in case that needed clarification. Treacle is sweet but caramel coloured.

What makes you say that? If you need help you have to be a bit more specific. Like is it still overheating, boiling over, gauge high?

Blackbird
3rd May 2006, 15:20
F5 Dave might be close. Do you have a fuel filter in your petrol supply system? I had your symptoms which was caused by an in-line filter on my old BMW K100. What happened is that when the engine was switched off, crap inside my filter would sit in the outer part of the flter due to the effects of gravity. As soon as the engine ran with petrol flowing through the filter, the crap would slowly get stirred up and attach itself to the inner part of the filter, partially blocking the outlet and starving the motor. Could only run with modest throttle openings.

Best of luck in finding the problem.

Geoff

F5 Dave
3rd May 2006, 15:43
He sez that fault is all fixed now.

My sister's car had a mystery fault similar to the starvation one that no one could fix. Turned out some delightful chap had siphoned petrol with a hose & dropped the hose in the tank so it would block the flow everyso often, usually if level was low.