PDA

View Full Version : 87 gsxr 250 advice needed

Enn
11th May 2006, 17:11
Greetings KB'ers Well my wife went for a ride on her bike 200 odd ks and when she arrived home her bike was making a strange noise , so out with the tools and go it down to the front sprocket , when i pulled this off to discover that the spline out of the g-box that the front sprocket drives on all but completely stripped!:gob: there goes the "easy fix".
So i realise that the motor will have to come out and the g-box opened up.

Question. can this shaft be repaired?
or a new or 2end hand shaft are the alternatives which would be better?
I havent priced a shaft yet but i bet they aint cheap....

Also if the motor is going to be split then is there anything else i should look at doing while it is open?
Im able to take the motor out and put it back in so that should help keep the cost down the g-box bit i will leave to someone that knows what they are doing!.

Cheers.

FROSTY
12th May 2006, 00:40
Hmm unless the spline aint oo bad there really aint to many easy fixes.
My only advise is if you're in there give the valves a lap in. Those lil 250's tend to be hard on valves

poorbastard
12th May 2006, 01:31
Id say you should be able to get a spare motor for reasonably cheap for parts if you need them in the future. Or try a wreckers as wrecked gsxr parts I found reasonably easy to find when I was looking anyway. I dont see why it shouldn't be able to be repaired either if you get the write person on the job.

Anyway good luck

poorbastard
12th May 2006, 01:32
If its not completly striped It should be able to get fixed. But id price up one form the wreckers and shop first and compare the prices.

FROSTY
12th May 2006, 08:32
one temporrary option would be to weld the sprocket into place. If it doesnt work you aint any worse off given youre gonna strip the motor anyhow

Enn
16th May 2006, 15:50
well , pulled the motor out so there goes the welding option, crikey got a funny look from the missus when id sugested that one! tho a good tempory fix with a new sprocket if ya dont fry the oil seal in the process. tig welding better for localizing heat.
Currently pricing new & 2end hand shafts, tho the inital response from suzuki was new parts worth more than the bike! so thats a $3000 shaft???
Had a chat with a mate whos a top rate machinist and he reconed that it would be possible to repair if he had the gear, a double headed thingy for his lathe.
at a guess id say the shaft would be high tensile steel?
Any way was quite happy with my effort on getting the motor out 3 -4 hours and did not lose or bugger any thing in the process.last bike i got into was a 76 f1 honda 750 about 20 years ago!!
Perhaps i might attempt to pull the shaft myself having trouble finding any info workshop manual for this bike.... any idears? the only thing i can find on the net is a owners manual pdf not any good tho. any idears where i can source one ?
Ok too many question and exclamation marks in one go for me i keep ya posted on this one.
Cheers enn.

Fooman
16th May 2006, 16:16
Perhaps i might attempt to pull the shaft myself having trouble finding any info workshop manual for this bike.... any idears? the only thing i can find on the net is a owners manual pdf not any good tho. any idears where i can source one ?
Ok too many question and exclamation marks in one go for me i keep ya posted on this one.
Cheers enn.

I'm 99% sure it's the same motor as the GSX250F Across. There was a link to a workshop manual for that bike here:

http://www.dethlefsens.dk/besk_mc/suzuki_gsxr250/download/Suzuki_GSX250F_Service_Manual.pdf

Cheers,
FM

Enn
16th May 2006, 17:00
Thanks for that Fooman ,great stuff,
cheers enn.

Enn
16th October 2006, 16:11
Well its a runner!
new shaft bearings and seals,gaskets, oil filter, round $800 later put the motor back in and 2 problems oil leak around the clutch rod (mechanic had failed to replace this seal, and not changing gear properly.. any way motor out again back to mechanic disasemble and replace seal polish gear shaft , new selector-(no charge) and back to me to put together, all up and running better than before, im getting good at this motor in motor out, dont want to do it again tho...
cleaned up and painted frame and numerous outher things while i was waiting to get motor back, fork oil change being the most noticeable improvement and freeing up one of the choke pistons never worked made a huge difference in cold starting!
Bike looks better than ever, and should not need anything for quite awhile, oil change due in 500 k for the g-box run in.... Yaa...:2thumbsup
Thanks for the advice all...
En.