PDA

View Full Version : SV325 solution.

chickenfunkstar
25th May 2006, 23:01
Hi,

Now that its coming into winter, i'm riding in the rain alot more. When i've been riding in the rain for a while, the front cylinder cuts in and out randomly. This can make it really irritating to ride. My best guess as to what is happening it there's water getting into the hole where the front spark plug is.

I was thinking about about spraying some CRC or putting some petroleum jelly in the end of the lead to ensure a good connection.

What would be the best thing to put in there? Would CRC or something light like that wash off after a short period of time?

Thanks,

CFS

kickingzebra
25th May 2006, 23:06
CRC would do it, 5.56 is as good as any... A good spray in there ain't gonna hurt it.

I am unconvinced that that would be the entirety of the problem though.... Check the connections to your coil etc...

erik
26th May 2006, 09:24
What I'd guess is happening is the spark might be tracking along the surface of the plug cap when it gets wet. I think it's more likely to happen if the surface is grubby. I think it can also track between the rubber plug cap boot and the plastic body of the plug cap if there's dirt and/or water between the two.

I'd see if it's easy enough to pull the rubber boot off the plug cap without damaging it, then clean with some CRC and put it back together and hope it works.
There might also be a passageway (small hole) going from the spark plug area to outside the engine to allow water that gets in there to drain away. It wouldn't hurt to check it's not blocked.

chickenfunkstar
26th May 2006, 10:28
Cheers erik, everything is pretty dirty around that area.

I can't seem to get the plug cap all the way out with the radaitor in place. I'll see if I can move the radiator a bit at the weekend.

I've sprayed some crc down the hole, but i'm not really sure if it'll get where I want it because the lead was only half way out. Hopefully it'll rain on the way to uni so I'll be able to tell if there's any difference.

chickenfunkstar
26th May 2006, 15:19
Well, i've just got back from a 45km ride in the rain. No spluttering or cutting out of any kind. I was trying to ride through as much surface water as I could to make sure everything was fully wet. When I got home there was water all over the top of the cylinder, so it was definatly well exposed.

Cheers for the advise.

erik
26th May 2006, 16:25
good to hear it worked. :niceone: