PDA

View Full Version : Bristol pioneers revolutionary anti-skid manhole cover

Bob
27th May 2006, 00:41
Bristol is set to become the first city in Europe to introduce a new kind of manhole cover to help reduce the risk of skidding for motorcyclists. They will be placed on manholes around the new road system as part of the development of the Broadmead area.

Bristol City Councillor Dennis Brown said: "This new type of cover should make the road much safer for two-wheeled traffic. The engineers working on the new development have endeavoured to design the road to avoid positioning covers on bends where heavy braking is likely. However, with a multitude of utilities on the highway, this is not always possible."

A new safety standard (EN124) is due to come into force in three years time, requiring manufacturers to test the skid resistance value of manhole covers. Bristol is ahead of other cities in pioneering this new type of manhole cover.

Bristol has always been a forward-thinking and innovative local authority when it comes to biking. They were among the first to allow bikes access to ALL bus lanes, have worked hard to increase safe bike parking facilities and so on. Once again they are ahead of the game. Well done Bristol Council.

ZeroIndex
27th May 2006, 06:58
just paint them in bright flouro anti-skid paint.. you'll see it way before you get there, and if you do hit it, it won't be the end of the world / front of your bike..

DingDong
27th May 2006, 08:26
There is a badly positioned man hole cover on the apex of a 45 degree corner at the end of Cameron Rd (Just before the Marsh St lights) in Tauranga

I havent had an incident there... only because I know where it is

Marmoot
27th May 2006, 10:24
A cheap-ish solution would be to fit a custom-cut anti-skid layer as they used in skateboards, wouldn't it? Or maybe, with million dollar research budget, they can even improve the quality a bit.

Waylander
27th May 2006, 10:47
There is a badly positioned man hole cover on the apex of a 45 degree corner at the end of Cameron Rd (Just before the Marsh St lights) in Tauranga

I havent had an incident there... only because I know where it is
I know that one well. Had a minor slip on it yesterday morning, luckily didn't come off but had flashbacks for a moment.

jimbo600
27th May 2006, 11:00
Fuck me, they came up with this paint and were on about using it when I was still in the UK in 1996. Takes em 10 years to actually do it. I guess its only bike safety so it's not that important.

Bob
28th May 2006, 00:55
A cheap-ish solution would be to fit a custom-cut anti-skid layer as they used in skateboards, wouldn't it? Or maybe, with million dollar research budget, they can even improve the quality a bit.

From looking at a picture of the manhole, it looks like this is what they are using:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41405000/jpg/_41405005_anti_skid_manhole_203.jpg

Much longer lasting than paint.

Madness
28th May 2006, 00:58
I can think of a few bad ones 'round here, such as Dowse Drive Maungaraki. Some sadistic bugger planted a whole series of them right on the good line :angry:

Mr. Peanut
28th May 2006, 11:55
My mum nearly fell down one of those, wasn't properly attached.

Thats why I steer well clear of em, anti-skid or not. Never know if some drunk wanker or incompetent council worker's been fiddling with em.

:nya: Don't worry though, it'll all change when some important, anal retentive lad from the LTSA flips his 50cc :scooter: