PDA

View Full Version : US: Michigan to repeal helmet law?

Bob
3rd June 2006, 00:22
Michigan is on the verge of repealing the state's 37-year-old mandatory motorcycle helmet law.

According to an informal poll of state lawmakers, it looks like the Michigan House of Representatives has the number of votes needed. Senate Bill 297 would remove the mandatory helmet requirement for all riders and passengers 21 or older, but does not require motorcycle riders to carry personal injury protection insurance coverage.

mmmm...

Gotta love americans..

cruxis
4th June 2006, 01:23
I am all for choice, Wouldnt work here though, I suspect ACC charges would go through the roof. But of course I'd always wear a helmet myself even if I did have the option not to wear one.

But then again I might not.:nono: I might get lazy and not wear a helmet when doing a quick diary run. I have jumped on my bike a few times not wearing a helmet by accident. I always relize my mistake after hit over 30kph, Wind blowing over my whole face through hair sees to that.

James Deuce
4th June 2006, 07:51
You know it came to me the other day, riding home from work, that one of the reasons I got into bikes was because all my boyhood heroes were, Racers (car and bike), Astronauts, and Pilots. The common theme is they all have cool helmets. Therefore I'm only riding bikes because I get to wear a helmet.

Funny, eh?

RT527
4th June 2006, 09:12
And if youve ever seen Jim2 in a helmet, youll Know what he`s talking bout! :)

sunhuntin
5th June 2006, 14:42
I am all for choice, Wouldnt work here though, I suspect ACC charges would go through the roof. But of course I'd always wear a helmet myself even if I did have the option not to wear one.

But then again I might not.:nono: I might get lazy and not wear a helmet when doing a quick diary run. I have jumped on my bike a few times not wearing a helmet by accident. I always relize my mistake after hit over 30kph, Wind blowing over my whole face through hair sees to that.

given the choice...id go without, but only for short rides. ive also jumped on the bike, put her in gear, thinking "the engine sounds clearer today...wonder why......HELMET!" lol. ive never actually taken off without it.

Jantar
5th June 2006, 15:01
I used to like the old law here in NZ. Helmets were not compulsory at speeds less than 30 mph (48 kmh). On hot summer days I would often cruise back country roads at low speed and just enjoy the wind through my hair. At higher speeds on went the helmet, and around town it was always on with the helmet.

Ixion
5th June 2006, 17:44
I wore a helmet in the days before they were compulsory. But I never did (and doon't) agree with the compulsion. Same with seat belts. Fair enough to have the compulsory fitments, but wearing them should be optional. But I always did if they were there even when you didn't have to.

Kickaha
5th June 2006, 17:57
But I never did (and doon't) agree with the compulsion. Same with seat belts. Fair enough to have the compulsory fitments, but wearing them should be optional.

optional? Not unless the person not wearing the helmet\seatbelt pays for there own injuries in case of accident

Jantar
5th June 2006, 18:02
optional? Not unless the person not wearing the helmet\seatbelt pays for there own injuries in case of accident
If you just said "head injuries" I might have agreed with you. But how does wearing a helmet prevent prevent broken legs, broken ribs, dislocated shoulders etc? These are all injuries I have suffered, yet I have never even scratched a helmet in a crash.

SARGE
5th June 2006, 19:02
Michigan is on the verge of repealing the state's 37-year-old mandatory motorcycle helmet law.

According to an informal poll of state lawmakers, it looks like the Michigan House of Representatives has the number of votes needed. Senate Bill 297 would remove the mandatory helmet requirement for all riders and passengers 21 or older, but does not require motorcycle riders to carry personal injury protection insurance coverage.

in Ohio.. you only have to wear a helmet in the first 12 months of your license... but cagers watch for us over there ..

Bob
9th June 2006, 00:02
State lawmakers repealed Michigan's 37-year-old mandatory motorcycle helmet law on 7th June. Only a veto by Governor Jennifer Granholm can prevent the helmet repeal from taking place.

Motu
9th June 2006, 08:06
What are the reasons for the appeal? Someone must of put up a good case.I liked our old system too,it allowd you the choice of what you wore...I always wore a helmet on the open road and off road,just around town I didn't wear one.Like Jantar I came off many times without my head touching the ground.We didn't have ACC back then either,that came with Norm Kirk around the same time as the new helmet law.

Ixion
9th June 2006, 09:44
Presumably there is no law actually preventing anyone from wearing a helmet? So where is the problem?

WRT
9th June 2006, 10:18
Senate Bill 297 would remove the mandatory helmet requirement for all riders and passengers 21 or older, but does not require motorcycle riders to carry personal injury protection insurance coverage.

So the lawmakers no longer force you to wear a helmet, nor carry personal injury insurance?

Oh well, its on their head . . .

. . . or not, as the case may be.

beyond
9th June 2006, 15:44
When I was younger, helmets weren't compulsory.
Nothing more exhilarating than hooning down a country road at 120kmh without a helmet on. Then the eyes start streaming and you think about slowing down but keep going. :)

Then the mob of filthy midges hit ya smack in the face and feel like some prats stabbing you in the face with a hundred needles. Some decide to creep around the back of your eyeballs under force and that hurts like hell. :(

Then you are riding blind, trying to remember which way the road went while applying the brakes. You manage to stop safely and spend the next half hour rolling your eyeballs around, using the corner of your snot rag to try and extract midgey intestines from your retina.

After this 'fun' riding without a helmet experience, a friends mate did a wheel stand on his Mach 3 Kawa 500 at around 60kmh, the chain snapped, wrapped around his leg, dragged him off the bike and his head hit the curb and people got to see some grey matter that they wished they hadn't. No helmet, died instantly, still at high school. :(

Then a guy up the road had a truck pull out in front of him. Was wearing a helmet but wasn't strapped on. Result, more grey matter for the passing people to see. :(

Me, I wear a helmet since then everytime I go out.

A year later I had a serious accident, that ripped the jaw piece clean off my full face helmet. Man, I was pleased I was wearing a helmet then.

Jonathan
9th June 2006, 17:11
Then a guy up the road had a truck pull out in front of him. Was wearing a helmet but wasn't strapped on. Result, more grey matter for the passing people to see. :(

I sometimes don't bother to do up my strap when going around town but this unpleasant imagery means that I will never do so again!

beyond
9th June 2006, 20:37
I sometimes don't bother to do up my strap when going around town but this unpleasant imagery means that I will never do so again!

Good on ya mate.

If it helps one more biker keeping his synapses intact, I'm a happy biker.

Too many bad stories around to not take precautions when they are available. Can't beat a good helmet done up properly. I know they aren't going to save the broken bones but many accidents are survivable except when you whack your brains out. Sorry to be graphic but sometimes it's needed to get the message home. Every major accident I've had, the scones had a good session on the road or car I've hit, so I've been real pleased I've been wearing a helmet.

Bob
29th June 2006, 00:24
Governor Jennifer Granholm has exercised her right of veto and blocked the change in law which would have allowed Michigan bikers to ride without helmets.

Michigan's mandatory motorcycle helmet law has been in the books since the 1960s.

BeakerRAT
29th June 2006, 01:50
Me, I wear a helmet since then everytime I go out.

A year later I had a serious accident, that ripped the jaw piece clean off my full face helmet. Man, I was pleased I was wearing a helmet then.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, had an 'off' - skidded up the road for a bit head first, stuffed the helmet and wore most of the chin piece away but thankfully it did it's job. Full face helmet only all the time, I won't even wear an open face helmet now.