PDA

View Full Version : UK: Torys propose allowing left turns at red lights

Bob
3rd June 2006, 00:23
Riders and drivers will be allowed to turn left at red lights under Tory proposals to tackle congestion. Allowing left turns at red lights is based on experience in the US, where motorists are allowed to turn right.

The idea is part of a 10-point plan by the Conservatives' economic competitiveness policy group to improve transport in British cities.

The policy group also suggests re-phasing traffic lights to give priority to main roads, putting cycle lanes on pavements where there is room, allowing taxis and motorbikes to use bus lanes, providing more pedestrian footbridges or underpasses and reviewing speed limits.

I believe NZ already has a "turn at red lights" rule like this? If so, how does it work exactly? Saying that, DOES it work? Or does it cause more chaos than it clears? I'd be interested in hearing your comments.

Nah man... NZ has a run the red, don't stop for the red, U turn through a red, don't see a red, and a take off before it goes green and is still red law, but nothing about turning left that I'm aware of.

Gremlin
3rd June 2006, 01:23
Only thing we do have, is if the side road is turning right onto the main road, the naturally the inside of the corner (main road turning left onto side street) is unused. If there is a turn signal in operation, and the lights are properly phased etc, then it will go green, and traffic can turn left.

So is it perhaps more a phasing issue in the UK?? Perhaps combining as many flows into the same time point as possible??

Bob
3rd June 2006, 02:49
At the moment, if the light is red, you cannot pass. This new idea copies the US, where they allow you to turn onto the right lane (what with them driving on the wrong side of the road) despite the light being red.

Knowing the "standard" (sic) of driving over here in the UK, I predict people 'turning left' through red lights, then performing a U-turn to go where they actually wanted. And causing no end of accidents.

The shiny new leader of the Tory party has at least one Very Good Idea each week. My favourite was when he announced that "All school leavers should be made to do one year of voluntary work". Which would make it compulsory.

I think someone needs to send David Cameron the dictionary definition of 'Oxymoron'...

SARGE
3rd June 2006, 09:19
hell.. the right on red after stop has been way successful in the US for decades. you hardly ever see lines in the right turn lanes..

Grahameeboy
3rd June 2006, 09:24
At the moment, if the light is red, you cannot pass. This new idea copies the US, where they allow you to turn onto the right lane (what with them driving on the wrong side of the road) despite the light being red.

Knowing the "standard" (sic) of driving over here in the UK, I predict people 'turning left' through red lights, then performing a U-turn to go where they actually wanted. And causing no end of accidents.

The shiny new leader of the Tory party has at least one Very Good Idea each week. My favourite was when he announced that "All school leavers should be made to do one year of voluntary work". Which would make it compulsory.

I think someone needs to send David Cameron the dictionary definition of 'Oxymoron'...

You don't know the standards over here then......born in London and UK streets ahead.......

blocker
4th June 2006, 10:36
Sounds promising from David C, there are far too many lights here on my city commute, Don't have many left turns though so probably wouldn't help much.

NZ seems to have a lot more of the multi signal lights with the green arrows left and right, but definitely no free turn there yet.

I thought the taxis could use the bus lanes in the UK anyway?, they all seem to, as does every bloody scooter in London...(I've been maintaining my standards so far...)

Nicksta
4th June 2006, 11:46
hell.. the right on red after stop has been way successful in the US for decades. you hardly ever see lines in the right turn lanes..
i second that... i love the right on red rule in states.. hell, i used it last night!
its a good start for the poms... hopefully we can have it in NZ too so i dont do noughty things when i get back home ;)

Macktheknife
4th June 2006, 14:28
Australia was using this rule in some areas and some states when I lived there. The intersections where it was being done were all signposted clearly and it seemed to work quite well. I dont know if it is still being used though, but people seemed to adapt to this way quite smoothly.

Lou Girardin
6th June 2006, 16:20
It's been trialled here in the 70's at a couple of intersections on the shore.
It worked too well, the LTSA canned the idea.
Now we have red arrows for turns that stop us turning even when there isn't a car for miles.

thatHurt
6th June 2006, 16:26
Australia was using this rule in some areas and some states when I lived there. The intersections where it was being done were all signposted clearly and it seemed to work quite well. I dont know if it is still being used though, but people seemed to adapt to this way quite smoothly.

Yeah still used at some intersections. Depending on visibilty etc.. Does work OK.

SARGE
6th June 2006, 16:39
Now we have red arrows for turns that stop us turning even when there isn't a car for miles.

you mean the ones that bikes wont trip?

Finn
6th June 2006, 17:18

Yip. You should try the Finn Rule on turning at traffic lights.

1) If turning right on a red arrow with a green straight ahead, the give way rule applies. Proceed with caution just in case a cop is nearby.

2) If turning left at a red light and the traffic lights are doing nothing (much like Transit and Auckland City Council) the give way rule applies. Again proceed with caution. You don't want a ticket.

Motu
6th June 2006, 17:33
I'm pretty sure you are allowd to do this in a Pajero - regardless of what's coming...they have to give way anyway....

sunhuntin
6th June 2006, 20:40
Yip. You should try the Finn Rule on turning at traffic lights.

1) If turning right on a red arrow with a green straight ahead, the give way rule applies. Proceed with caution just in case a cop is nearby.

2) If turning left at a red light and the traffic lights are doing nothing (much like Transit and Auckland City Council) the give way rule applies. Again proceed with caution. You don't want a ticket.

sounds like a plan...nothin worse than stuck at lights that wont change and theres no cars... havent quite grown big enough balls to turn left on a red, but one day maybe.