PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Question

Hooks
9th June 2006, 18:33
I have just got the beast back from shop after having the clutch rebuilt. It's really tight and not disengaging at full depression of the lever and it's hard to find (impossible actually) neutral when stationary. The ride home through the rush hour traffic was full of stalls and I now have a left forearm like popeye !!

Will this ease with some riding or have I got a problem ... the guys in the shop seemed to think it would ease up once it was warmed up but I gave it a good thrash out of town and back and it's still tight !!

Any ideas ?? :doobey: :doobey: :doobey:

imdying
9th June 2006, 18:44
On the one hand, you could adjust it yourself.

On the other, you paid for a job to be done. Not only that, but if it gets worse, they can say your adjustment rooted it.

Personally, I'd get them to fix it, mostly based on principle.

paturoa
9th June 2006, 18:44
check your oil level

take it back to the shop, it shouldn't do that, it should be like a brand new bike clutch!

Hooks
9th June 2006, 18:55
check your oil level

take it back to the shop, it shouldn't do that, it should be like a brand new bike clutch!

It is a brand new clutch !! ... new plates and full oil change ... and the level is good ... I'll take it back tomorrow ...Cheers!!

I've never had have a new clutch put in before and it is an old bitch of a bike after all so I wasn't too sure what to expect !!

paturoa
9th June 2006, 19:03
the old gsx11s are easy-ish to do yourself, plenty of manuals around including online ones on this site.

Hooks
9th June 2006, 19:16
the old gsx11s are easy-ish to do yourself, plenty of manuals around including online ones on this site.

Thanks but my problems are, tools and a place to effect the adjustments !! It just feels so hard to pull in ... I might have to go work-out just get the damn thing to work !!

White trash
9th June 2006, 19:38
Buy a Bowflex fatty.

Motu
9th June 2006, 19:55
They may have routed the cable differently,maybe even how it's supposed to go - but it could have a bend making the action stiff...look at that first.

Hooks
9th June 2006, 20:00
Buy a Bowflex fatty.

I'l have you know I have been working out, you stick insect you !! :nya: ... I am now the owner of the best conditioned single ab in the country !!:shutup: .. And everybody knows you can't knock in a railway spike with a tack hammer !! :blip:

Hooks
9th June 2006, 20:01
They may have routed the cable differently,maybe even how it's supposed to go - but it could have a bend making the action stiff...look at that first.

Good thinking Motu !! Thanks mate ... I'll check it out in the light tomorrow ...

White trash
9th June 2006, 20:08
I thought those bastards had a hydraulic clutch?

Hooks
9th June 2006, 20:15
I thought those bastards had a hydraulic clutch?

Nah mate ... there's a wire thingy connected to the pulling thingy and it goes into this black round thing on the side ... AND IT'S FUCKIN' IMPOSSIBLE TO PULL IN !!!! :nya: :doobey: :angry:

Motu
9th June 2006, 20:16
1987? They didn't even have hydraulic brakes back then did they?

White trash
9th June 2006, 20:17
Fair coment.

marty
9th June 2006, 21:06
take it back. don't pick it up til it's fixed properly. don't do any work on it yourself

Clivoris
9th June 2006, 23:35
Yeah man. Be polite about it but they should have it working proper. You can bet that the guy that did the work probably wouldn't put up with it if it was his bike.