PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a fuel pump to an NC30,will it improve the perfomance or just a waste of time

Postie
19th June 2006, 11:37
as the title says.
I have an NC30 and they don't have fuel pumps, although i do and i am having it fitted, but before i do, does anyone know how hard it will be and if its worth doing at all? will it improve the performance or is it gonna be a waste of time.
I am thinking that its gonna do the bike some good and force feed it fuel and therefore improve the performance, but i am not 100% sure.

SimJen
19th June 2006, 11:40
Why?????
If it needed it then Honda would have added it....
Not much real gain can be had by tuning the damn things with exhausts etc, so why would a fuel pump make any difference?

cowpoos
19th June 2006, 11:41
dunno bro.....do some googling and see if any vfr racers around the world fit fuel pumps for performance!

Postie
19th June 2006, 11:42
Why?????
why would a fuel pump make any difference?

SimJen, you have basically just repeated my question, thats what i am trying to get feed back about.

Ixion
19th June 2006, 11:45
Ever wondered why carburettors have float bowls?

F5 Dave
19th June 2006, 11:51
. . .
I am thinking that its gonna do the bike some good and force feed it fuel and therefore improve the performance, but i am not 100% sure.

Sorry I think everyone thinks you are taking the piss.

More gas would just make it too rich.

If you force fed it air then it would improve performance, this air would drag more gas with it as required.

If you have a pump it just keeps the float bowls topped up, the float needles close the supply off when at the level required, like a toilet, although fitting an inappropriate pump to marginal sealing carbs may flood them.

SimJen
19th June 2006, 11:52
SimJen, you have basically just repeated my question, thats what i am trying to get feed back about.

Seems to be a silly question thats why.... :)
I've never heard of anyone doing it....makes no sense as they run fine as they are..........why add complexity to an already complex motor?????
If you want to add a pump.......turbo it

Postie
19th June 2006, 11:57
If you want to add a pump.......turbo it

now your talking.:yes:

F5 Dave
19th June 2006, 12:03
yeah.

Now he's talking like in the pub after pint 7 & it seems a great idea.

Hey! What about knobblies? Aprillia just launched their twin. How about a V4 dirtbike. Beat everyone to the punch!:blip:

imdying
19th June 2006, 12:05
Sorry I think everyone thinks you are taking the piss.

More gas would just make it too rich.

If you force fed it air then it would improve performance, this air would drag more gas with it as required.

If you have a pump it just keeps the float bowls topped up, the float needles close the supply off when at the level required, like a toilet, although fitting an inappropriate pump to marginal sealing carbs may flood them.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes! Great analogy with the toilet!

Motu
19th June 2006, 12:35
Are you putting a sidecar on this bike,with a fuel tank in the chair?....Otherwise I see no point.

Postie
19th June 2006, 12:45
ok, thanks for the input guys. Idea is scrapped.

Fooman
19th June 2006, 13:26
yeah.

Now he's talking like in the pub after pint 7 & it seems a great idea.

Hey! What about knobblies? Aprillia just launched their twin. How about a V4 dirtbike. Beat everyone to the punch!:blip:

Been done: there was actually a NC21/24 rat bike with knobblies on it for sale on Trademe last week...

FM

F5 Dave
19th June 2006, 13:53
oh brother!

That's my point! The folly of drinking.

The guvermint should do summit aboutit:nono: How about a new beer tax? (but only on the brands I don't drink).

dveus
20th June 2006, 11:37
I have a fuel pump on my NC30, but that is due to the custom fuel tank being lower than the factory one. I can't see any point if you are still using the factory tank.

FROSTY
25th June 2006, 10:10
Posty--mate dont do it--Ive fitted fuel pumps to bikes that needed them and getting the fuel rate etc right was a bloody nightmare.
BUT --if you plan on say running a 7.0l tank (for sprint races) and fitting it low on the bike then the bike will need a fuel pump