PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting

axe
22nd June 2006, 06:34
my bike starts first try but on cold days only runs for a few seconds then stops and then takes forever to start again quite often needs to be hooked up to the car battery cause battery goes flat batterys new and has plenty of charge Choke is used. If the morning or whenever the air temp is warm (not freezeing) starts no problem bike stored in shed and is covered in rescue blanket and blanket still no help. Just problems when cold (frost etc)

ZeroIndex
22nd June 2006, 06:58
are you asking for help or are you just telling the world your problems? :D

Mine is: I don't have as much money as I was hoping for, and can't afford a better bike..

Does your bike have a kick start? try that.. if your battery isn't happy, try getting a new battery.. it shouldn't go flat "that quickly"

Flyingpony
22nd June 2006, 09:25
Did you check your tyre pressures ... or ... eat more pies.

When were the spark plugs last replaced? Try that.

ZeroIndex
22nd June 2006, 16:28
Did you check your tyre pressures ... or ... eat more pies.

When were the spark plugs last replaced? Try that.
seriously.. what is it about pies..

When you say the choke is on? full choke or partial?

If you put my ZXR on full choke it floods the engine and dies...

Crisis management
22nd June 2006, 16:51
I think you are being a bit optimistic expecting any reasonable diagnosis of the problem on the information given, it could be any number of things.
Having said that I will ramble on anyway.
Do you always start the bike the same way, ie choke on full etc.... If so does it only fail to run on cold days? Or do you start with less choke on warmer days?
The fact that it starts indicates it is basically ok and you are then killing it.... Once you have it restarted it runs ok I assume, therefore...this indicates that you are flooding it with too much choke.
Try less choke! There seems to be lots of cold days about so you can experiment happily.

Seriously, It sounds like too much fuel so play with less choke. If it floods hold the throttle open to clear the excess fuel as you turn it over and it should catch.
Good luck!

The Pastor
24th June 2006, 20:39
Put the key into the on postion!

peanuteater
25th June 2006, 07:52
Best to just try different ways to start when cold,there a bit like females-tempramental at times :yes: mines a real pig on cold mornings to, i find it best to use full choke, but if i try the throttle within the first 30 secs, it dies, so have to ease the choke off, and turn throttle on at the same time

avgas
25th June 2006, 09:24
I like pies

poorbastard
25th June 2006, 09:27
Have similar problems with my ZXR but then again it is left outside. But i find 2 meters down the hill often is alot easier then using the starter motor and waiting for it to start.

ZeroIndex
25th June 2006, 13:21
....kill switch?

race_demon
5th July 2006, 13:59
ok..
it all come sdown to is an engine only needs fuel air and ignition always the same u say ti runs fien normally how well does it run normally? maybe the carbs otu fo tune and your running lean (hence running ok on normal days) but on cold mornings it will be lean so it needs richening up also do check your plugs they shoudl be a tan colour not black and oily (gotta love 2 strokes (sigh) check the plugs and tell us what you find etc and ill come back to ya