PDA

View Full Version : Speedo adjusting itself for gears

pyrocam
22nd June 2006, 23:09
*steps out of lotpihgad, looks nervously around*

ok so I ran over some metal and had to replace my tire today, once again awesome service from cycletreads and got my old one cheaply fixed in case I want to burn it out at coldkiwi.

anyway fit the wheel back on it tonight under flatmates headlights, tried to heat the chain up a little so I could lube it so left it going in 6th gear for 20mins and noticed that it read 25kph on the speedo WTF

so is this adjustment by the clock meant to make me think that im going faster than I ACTUALLY am or is this to counter some sort of speed reading system to make it MORE accurate in the higher gears

also I would like to thank frosty quickly for being the biggest f'n legend around here for letting me borrow a van!!!! :not: Thanks chief

boomer
22nd June 2006, 23:57
[SIZE="1"]anyway fit the wheel back on it tonight under flatmates headlights, tried to heat the chain up a little so I could lube it so left it going in 6th gear for 20mins and noticed that it read 25kph on the speedo WTF

You shoulda hopped on her, you havent been that fast before have ya?

skidMark
23rd June 2006, 00:06
look at this positively at least you didn't do an nz liam and donate the tip of your thumb to your chain

but on the bad side....your honda just compensating making it look like it's really fast..... to make up for it being a hondurrrrr

pyrocam
23rd June 2006, 00:08
look at this positively at least you didn't do an nz liam and donate the tip of your thumb to your chain

but on the bad side....your honda just compensating making it look like it's really fast..... to make up for it being a hondurrrrr
I would say oooohhh burn but its mark auckland so its ok

skidMark
23rd June 2006, 00:16
god dammit it's a sad sday when somebody come back can just be saying it's just me so it's fine...god dammit...now i have nothing left

except my half arsed manly image

erik
23rd June 2006, 00:29
Why do you think it's adjusting itself for gears?

It sounds like it's a gear driven (or something, I'm not totally sure how they're set up) speedo rather than off the front wheel and it's just reading the speed that the back wheel is rotating at?

SwanTiger
23rd June 2006, 00:31
I believe some motorcycles have their speed and odometer readings taken from the gearing. I was speaking to Zed about this when he had his sprocket changed and he mentioned how this would effect his odometer readings if left uncalibrated.

It might pay to Private Message him and see what he has to say.

Smokin
23rd June 2006, 16:01
Yep, quite a lot of bikes, esp late model stuff reads the speed from the front sprocket.

pyrocam
23rd June 2006, 19:02
I think thats been answered.

when I was posting that, I was thinking the wheel wasnt moving any faster for some reason. I realised now it must of been, and when it was in 1st it was just moving slow enough not to be noticable on the speedo

Cheers guys!

Timber020
23rd June 2006, 19:51
Your riding a 4 stroke 250, you always think your doing 25kmph faster than you are.

The Pastor
23rd June 2006, 20:26
with the bike being in 6th gear, the back wheel would be turning no? I'd say it would turn at 25kph all by itself....