PDA

View Full Version : India builds first home-produced fuel-injected bike

Bob
28th June 2006, 00:17
Hero Honda has launched India’s first bike to utilise fuel injection with the 125 cc Glamour FI.

The bike is being hailed as “technologically, the most advanced motorcycle for Indian roads.”

Ixion
28th June 2006, 00:22
Do Indian bike makers measure their engine output in bep ? Brake Elephant Power.

NSR-Dan
28th June 2006, 02:29
Do Indian bike makers measure their engine output in bep ? Brake Elephant Power.

did you know at one stage mini had the record for the longest running production of a single model.

i think india has a car company that just took that record, but unlike the mini it never gained any new fetures and imrovements over the years, its still exactly the same as the original from the 1960's. and is still hand made

James Deuce
28th June 2006, 06:39
1950s NSR-Dan.

Series III Morris Oxford, now called the Hindustan Ambassador.

It has changed a little bit since 1956. All the body panels except the roof have been modified over time.

ZeroIndex
28th June 2006, 06:52
DAMMIT!!! Something more advanced than my bike!! :D In India, my bike is rated as "REALLY GOOD", and like.. the uber-bike to own there is the Hyosung GT250 Comet <-- that would be the equivalent of an NZ owned 1 litre bike (eg. R1/GSXR/CBR1kRR/ZX10..)

Seriously.. if someone arrived there with a Hayabusa or the new ZX14, they'd be like "KILL HIM!!, he's from the future, and he's come to take over India..... or something" :D P/t

ZeroIndex
28th June 2006, 06:55
Elephants can do 40MPH in 0.1 seconds.. well as soon as their legs are moving, they're doing that speed (some useless facts for you).. therefore, if you're in a cage, and it charges you, you're pretty much screwed.. hooray for bikes being quick (although the bikes made in India, would be.... a cage <-- pretty much screwed..) ok, now i'm rambling

ZeroIndex
28th June 2006, 06:56
Hero Honda has launched India’s first bike to utilise fuel injection with the 125 cc Glamour FI.

The bike is being hailed as “technologically, the most advanced motorcycle for Indian roads.”
what's the URL for that? You know they still make Royal Enfields there? they stopped the R&D Department in the 50's or 60's (or so I'm told)

Bob
28th June 2006, 08:40
Hero Honda's website is at:

http://www.herohonda.com/site/home/home.asp

Royal Enfield is still indeed alive and well and not changed since 1955.

They are still imported over here - nice touch, their importer is a company called Watsonian-Squire... whose main business is making sidecars... so nicely caught up in yore!

Watsonian Squire can be found at:

http://www.watsonian-squire.com/

and it turns out there is a Royal Enfield UK site!

http://www.royal-enfield.com/

Take a look at the latter and feel like you're heading back in time...

Things are going to change though - so they can keep their foothold outside of Europe, they've had to come up with their first new engine in 50-odd years!

Ironic, we look at them as a throwback to earlier times... in India, they are considered really powerful machines that all bikers would dream of owning!

slob
28th June 2006, 08:41

I had my first bike (mis)adventure on a Hero Honda CD100 - ran it straight into a brick wall when I rolled the throttle on when reaching for the front brake! On that model, the most modern feature was that it had a rectangular headlight instead of a round one..

In India, my bike is rated as "REALLY GOOD", and like.. the uber-bike to own there is the Hyosung GT250 Comet...
Seriously.. if someone arrived there with a Hayabusa or the new ZX14, they'd be like "KILL HIM!!, he's from the future, and he's come to take over India..... or something" :D P/t

Actually, there are a few rich cunts (e.g. filmstars) who do own stuff like Hayabusas etc., but they're pretty uncommon and useless on most of the potholed roads there. I reckon a KTM 950 Adventure or BMW1200GS would be the ticket though!

Motu
28th June 2006, 10:02
1950s NSR-Dan.

Series III Morris Oxford, now called the Hindustan Ambassador.

It has changed a little bit since 1956. All the body panels except the roof have been modified over time.

Which was an update of the Series II,one was my wife's first car,and we had it for years.I ended up putting my 1622 into it and later an A60 diff too.The speedo stopped working at 200,000mls so I don't know how many miles the old motor did - I reringed it and fitted it into a mates 1952 A40 pickup.

The Hindustan is handbuilt because the body dies are so old none of the pressed panels fit....so they are hand fitted.If the price was right I'd kinda like a modern Series III Oxford...

Ixion
28th June 2006, 10:23
Good to see Watsonian are still turning out chairs.

And I see that Renfield still do a trials version. Now, would a brand new trials Renfield be eligable for vintage or twin shock trials events?

And are Renfield the only manufacturer left to offer sidecar kit?

I'm glad to see one of the old marques still hanging in there. Hopefully, they may be able to hang in long enough to catch the new wave of "sensible" motorcyclists that I think I see coming along, who regard a motorbike as sensible transport rather than an expensive penis extension. If they can, they should do well, those are sensible and workmanlike bikes.

ZeroIndex
28th June 2006, 11:20
Actually, there are a few rich cunts (e.g. filmstars) who do own stuff like Hayabusas etc., but they're pretty uncommon and useless on most of the potholed roads there. I reckon a KTM 950 Adventure or BMW1200GS would be the ticket though!

Well, let's just pray that Aunty Helen doesn't decide that Indian roads are the next budget 'upgrade'

Biff
11th July 2006, 11:25
The Royal Enfields you see riding around Sindia are lovely looking machines. I have a doubt about their build quality though. And purrrleeease - Nylon tyres?

Bob
11th July 2006, 20:29
Good to see Watsonian are still turning out chairs.

And I see that Renfield still do a trials version. Now, would a brand new trials Renfield be eligable for vintage or twin shock trials events?

And are Renfield the only manufacturer left to offer sidecar kit?

To your first question, I'd say no. I think the qualifying criteria is age, not age of design!

And no to the second one as well! Ural still churn out sidecars - I think it is their core product.

Here is a link to Ural's site:

http://www.ural.com/

And they have a distributor in New Zealand! Based in Katikati.