PDA

View Full Version : New signs at Manukau aim to protect bikers

Bob
29th June 2006, 00:25
New signs have been put up at key Manukau intersections warning motorists to look out for motorbikes.

In a joint project between the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) and the Ulysses Motorcycling Club, the brightly coloured signs are now in place at Pakuranga Highway/Ti Rakau Dr, Botany Rd/Ti Rakau Dr, Shirley Rd/Great South Rd, Ascot Rd (Mangere) and Puhinui Rd/Lambie Drive intersections.

The intersection campaign follows a similar short-term project on the city’s motorways.

Gremlin
29th June 2006, 01:57
the brightly coloured signs are now in place at Pakuranga Highway/Ti Rakau Dr, Botany Rd/Ti Rakau Dr...
hmmm, in the area a lot, must see if I can spot em. Didn't think I saw any yesterday at Ti Rakau-Botany though.

Its a nice touch, and I hope it works, but honestly, those 2 intersections are a couple of the worst I know of, for red light runners. Apparently a bike cop has been doing excellent, predictable business there (so much so, he starts the bike and flips the lid down as a phase goes orange), and good on him. I hate red light runners.

Will see if I can see the signs (maybe grab a shot too) when I tootle through those intersections.

Finn
29th June 2006, 09:06
Yeah, people always obey signs. This will have an adverse effect on motorcycle accidents as this just adds another sign post to hit when we're knocked off.

andrea
29th June 2006, 17:06
bloody hell those signs better work, theres alot of farked up drivers round (not to forget i drive a car too "ahem") , and they dont seem to care, well the ones that ive across that is. Ill keep an eye out for these signs.

Madness
29th June 2006, 17:15
Wellington City Council in their wisdom put up a few large signs pointing out that a large numer of accidents occur at intersections. One in particular in Evans bay pisses me off as it's right next to a pedestrian crossing on a tight bend. Holy distraction, Batman!

Gremlin
29th June 2006, 20:26
Umm that would be our own honourable Bykey Cop (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=1273)...Catching Red Lite Runners
I suspect so, but I didn't witness his little activities, I was told by another rider on the Defensive Riding course, who also lives out this way. Bloody top notch :2thumbsup

I know him, and have met him (helped at a school... not what you think :nono: ) and he seems like an excellent bloke. iirc, he also saw another biker almost get nailed at another intersection, and got the car.

Blardy signs can be distracting, especially when they have lots of words... one up north in rodney area is that "x accidents this month" RIGHT ON A BLASTED CORNER....