PDA

View Full Version : Motor just stopped

frogfeaturesFZR
30th June 2006, 23:40
My wife has a Yammy SR250 and it's been garaged for the last month while the weather has been crappy. So It's due for a warrant and I thought I'd run it for 1/2 an hour to top up the battery and blow away the cobwebs. Gassed it up and hit the back roads, 7.30 last night, pitch black. The bike ran fine for 20 mins or so and then on a long straight it died. One backfire and the motor stopped all the lights died and we rolled to a stop. Thank god there was a moon 'cos I could'nt see what was happening. I turned the ignition key off and on again and the lights came back on. Pushed the start and away she went. Did'nt miss a beat all the way home, however Mrs FF says it's happen ed to her once too. Has to be electrical I guess but where do I start looking ?
It's been regularly serviced and hell these bikes are pretty basic. So....any idea's ?:angry:

Drum
1st July 2006, 00:46
"that" time of the month??

scumdog
1st July 2006, 05:08
Ya got a faulty 'kill' switch - or bumped it while riding?

SwanTiger
1st July 2006, 06:22
I have met a lady who rode a SRX 250 and had problems with the side stand kill switch. However I don't recall the SR having a side stand kill switch ... Though I am under the impression that all forms of kill switch will only kill the motor and not the general electrics, such as the lights.

When it happened to your partner while she was riding, was it at night time also with the head light on?

Here are two links to manuals available online, if you don't already have one:

http://www.sr250.com/ressources.htm
http://epll.no-ip.com/sr250.htm

Ya got a faulty 'kill' switch - or bumped it while riding?

What?
1st July 2006, 07:12
My bet would be the ignition switch.

What happens on many bikes is that the wiring loom to the switch is a tad too short, so gets stretched tight when the bars are at full lock (like when you use the steering lock). This pulls the pins on the bottom of the switch assembly, loosening (and eventually breaking) them, resulting in exactly the symptoms you describe.

To fix, the pins need to be soldered back in place, and the loom re-routed to give it more free play. This might be as simple as cutting one tie off.

frogfeaturesFZR
1st July 2006, 07:52
I was on a dead straight bit of road about 1 1/2 k's long so the bars were'nt turned. When it happened to the Mrs it was daytime. but yeah I guess it could be the iggy switch, it is a bit 'tired'

Motig
1st July 2006, 10:02
Try the usual checking for loose wires / faulty contacts first. Praps spray a bit of CRC in the switches as well. The fact it goes again hopefully means its just something simple like that.

What?
3rd July 2006, 07:02
I was on a dead straight bit of road about 1 1/2 k's long so the bars were'nt turned. When it happened to the Mrs it was daytime. but yeah I guess it could be the iggy switch, it is a bit 'tired'
It's the full lock that does the damage - the fault will show up anytime.