PDA

View Full Version : Police “refuse to chase” motorbike thief who wasn't wearing a helmet

Bob
1st July 2006, 00:28
A young biker was left stunned when police refused to chase a thief who had just stolen his moped… because the thief was not wearing a helmet!

Max Foster, 18, from Bath was told that officers feared being sued if the thief fell off, leaving the thief to get away with the £1,200 Gilera 180cc moped which only had Third Party insurance.

Foster said "They told me 'sorry mate but there's nothing we can do'. They said they couldn't follow them because they might get sued if the kids fall off and hurt themselves. This policy is giving thieves a perfect way to exploit the law and steal as many bikes as they want without getting arrested."

Avon and Somerset police admitted calling off the chase but said its investigation into the theft continued. A spokesman said that aborting a pursuit because the rider is not wearing a crash helmet is one of the "options available" to officers when "members of the public or the riders themselves could be put in danger".

He added: "If a motorcyclist is not wearing a helmet there are a number of options available to police including not closing in on the suspect. That is that if a motorbike chase is likely to cause injury or harm to either the rider or the public, then most officers will cancel it and use other methods of catching the culprit, such as helicopters."

Councillors in Bath claim the policy will encourage thieves in the area. Liberal Democrat Sharon Ball "There is a terrible bike theft problem in this area and this crazy approach means the issue will just get worse and worse. These young kids will hear about this loophole on the underworld grapevine and exploit to the full."

Drum
1st July 2006, 01:25
Why didnt he just run after it?

Surely a biped can beat a moped.

Bob
1st July 2006, 01:35
Why didnt he just run after it?

Surely a biped can beat a moped.

I think a Gilera DNA 180 can reach 70mph (110kph?) and guessing the thief was young and light... so it would probably have been able to head off quite sharply.

Just thought I'd go completely humorless there for a moment (had a bike stolen a few years ago. I'd still beat the bastard that took it to death if I got my hands on him. So I rarely see the funny side of bike theft)

Drum
1st July 2006, 01:39
In that case I apologise for my inappropriate joviality.

scumdog
1st July 2006, 04:55
Let him try it here - I'm sure it would be funny to watch him try and control the scooter after being blasted with pepper-spray.:innocent:

Without a helmet I'd get a better shot with the spray.:yes:

Highlander
1st July 2006, 14:29
I thought the pepper spray worked best on Pizza

scumdog
1st July 2006, 14:42
I thought the pepper spray worked best on Pizza

The type of person that would do this sort of thing would most likely have a face like one...:whistle:

Highlander
1st July 2006, 14:47
Pizza delivery scooter?

Mr. Peanut
1st July 2006, 18:40
FOR SALE: Gilera 180

Low Km's

No Rego or Warrent, AIWI :whistle:

terbang
1st July 2006, 19:17
Let him try it here - I'm sure it would be funny to watch him try and control the scooter after being blasted with pepper-spray.:innocent:

Without a helmet I'd get a better shot with the spray.:yes:

Betcha yer trigger fingers gettin real itchy waiting for that Tazer eh..?

Storm
1st July 2006, 19:19
And we call it civilization

scumdog
2nd July 2006, 04:42
Betcha yer trigger fingers gettin real itchy waiting for that Tazer eh..?

Nah, the pepper-spray is the go - mutiple targets in 2 - 3 seconds:woohoo:

StoneChucker
2nd July 2006, 05:03
FOR SALE: Gilera 180

Low Km's

No Rego or Warrent, AIWI :whistle:
I did the same thing a couple of years ago, overall result: lots of offended people. Don't worry though, I at least know that what you're thinking

Pathos
2nd July 2006, 16:08
It's a hard choice to make ... but a life is worth more than a moped.

NordieBoy
3rd July 2006, 09:27
Those Gilera Runners will do 180kph when the engines been breathed upon :)

placidfemme
3rd July 2006, 15:14
that sucks... the cops should chase and if the moron falls off... then atleast the public knows he won't be stealing anything anytime soon...