PDA

View Full Version : Student survives fall from motorcycle but then run over by car

Swoop
3rd July 2006, 13:16
From the Harold.

1.00pm Monday July 3, 2006

An 18-year-old was killed when a car ran over him as he lay in the middle of the road after falling off a small motorcycle in Dargaville.

Friends who witnessed the accident tried to warn the car driver about the injured but conscious victim lying in the road on Friday night.

But the car driver thought they were abusing him and did not stop, police said today.

Sergeant Andrew Abraham said it was not known if the victim and the 27-year-old driver, from Dargaville, knew each other but it was likely they did. "It's a small town," he said.

The Wellington university student, who had returned home for the term break, was taken to Dargaville Hospital where he died shortly afterwards.

The police serious crash unit was investigating the crash and no decision had been made whether charges would be pressed against the driver of the car, Mr Abraham said.

Whangarei police Sergeant Graham Povey said yesterday the car involved left the scene and was located at the Brethren Church in Dargaville about 10.20pm. The driver had called police and said he had left the scene because he had feared for his safety.

The dead man was -- ---- ------, 18, a first-year Massey University design school student, who had had mounted a motorcycle, described by police as a "miniature chopper", when a group of friends left a party.

He had driven slowly west along Parore St, wobbled and fallen off at the Tirarau St intersection.

A 16-year-old witness said: "He was lying there on his back but we didn't think he was hurt.

"We saw a car coming and another guy and I ran out into the middle of the road and tried to wave it down, but it didn't stop and ran over Tim.

"I ran after the car, yelling for the driver to stop. As he was turning into Ranfurly St, he called out to tell me, 'I don't want to talk to you', and drove away."

The death was the only reported fatality on the nation's roads over the weekend.

- NZPA, NORTHERN ADVOCATE (WHANGAREI)

Squeak the Rat
3rd July 2006, 13:19
That scares me the most about falling off in town.

Small town, 10:20pm, didn't see some one lying in the road, didn't stop, drove to a church....

$50 says he was pissed.

Biohazard
3rd July 2006, 13:22
I'll see your $50 & raise you $100 that he was also stoned :doobey:

One word for that bloke C*NT.

Poor student R.I.P dude:bye:

Str8 Jacket
3rd July 2006, 13:25
I reckon that you guys MAY be being a bit nasty. It may have just been an accident, it could have been anyone... At the end of the day a man killed another man, punishment that he'll have to live with for the rest of his life!

placidfemme
3rd July 2006, 13:26
Thats really sad... Sam's family are from Dargaville, chances are she went to school with the dude... or her brothers did...

In a town like that why wouldn't you stop?

Biohazard
3rd July 2006, 13:29
My thoughts exactly, if someone flags you down, you would STOP ans listen and proceed with caution...

That prick has a problem, if he was scared for his life then, he's in a world
sh1t now......

Str8 Jacket
3rd July 2006, 13:31
In a town like that why wouldn't you stop?

Unfortunately there are some really nasty things going on around NZ these days. Just imagine if it were you and you had a group of young people yelling at you for some reason you had no idea about, your mind flashes back to the story about the guy who tried to stop guys from putting road cones in the middle of the road but gets beaten up by them instead.You might still stop, yes. But you know nothing about this guy and how his mind works he MAY have just been to scared to stop. Look where it got him, bet he's regretting it now! Accidents do happen some are worse than others but sometimes it is just an accident.

Postie
3rd July 2006, 13:33
who had had mounted a motorcycle, described by police as a "miniature chopper",

thats sad news, the driver should be done for leaving the scene even if he was scared, but should he really be described as a motorcyclist? on a toy?

edit: also, why would the driver not see someone in the road? no lights? speeding? or is he blind?

SimJen
3rd July 2006, 13:36
Miniature choppers should be run over, preferably with a Steamroller.
I wonder why he fell off? perhaps he was trying to do a wheelie......

Biohazard
3rd July 2006, 13:44
Miniature choppers should be run over, preferably with a Steamroller.....

So true, BUT death is kind of harsh punishment for looking like a complete and utter twat.

Now mini-bikes thats a completely differant story

Mr. Peanut
3rd July 2006, 13:48
There's a minichopper around town with the an idea. He makes up for a lack of visability by making himself heard. Chopped his muffler off you can hear it for at least 1km. :eyepoke:

He wears a dirtbike helmet for protection too so it's all good eh :yes:

How is it of all things, these toys are allowed on the road? I wouldn't ride one of those things through traffic if you paid me.

I didn't see him officer.

I'm not bloody surprised madam.

placidfemme
3rd July 2006, 13:50
Unfortunately there are some really nasty things going on around NZ these days. Just imagine if it were you and you had a group of young people yelling at you for some reason you had no idea about, your mind flashes back to the story about the guy who tried to stop guys from putting road cones in the middle of the road but gets beaten up by them instead.You might still stop, yes. But you know nothing about this guy and how his mind works he MAY have just been to scared to stop. Look where it got him, bet he's regretting it now! Accidents do happen some are worse than others but sometimes it is just an accident.

I understand what your saying, but despite people shouting at you on the road, you'd still notice a person and a mini chopper laying on the road ahead of you...

Also the driver must have been driving at a semi decent speed for the other young guys to step onto the road to try to slow him down and warn him of the injured person.

Sounds like there is a lot more to the story than whats been reported.

RIP to the teen.

Mr. Peanut
3rd July 2006, 13:54
If they were right in front of your car you wouldn't see them. Just a bunch of crazy people yelling, "STOP YOU FUCKING IDIOT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Str8 Jacket
3rd July 2006, 13:54
Sounds like there is a lot more to the story than whats been reported.

My point exactly. None of us were there, we dont know if the street was pitch black with no street lights, if the guys that tryed to stop the driver were drunk on or P or just known as deliquants so thats why the driver didnt stop. Yes the driver did something wrong, yes he should have stopped but he didnt. Its easy to judge an event based on minimal information and biased views of the media but unless you were actually there you have no idea what went on. The guy that ran the biker over will have to run through that night for the rest of his life.

SimJen
3rd July 2006, 14:00
Problem is the guy didn't stay so he probably didn't see anything.....in which case it will be easier for him to get over it. Also if he was drunk, im sure he hardly noticed.
If his mates were nearby makes you wonder what they were all doing....perhaps they were having laps?
I know that my wife and baby wouldn't stop for a group of youths shouting at her (and I wouldn't want her too either).....but then she would see a body on the ground!

Postie
3rd July 2006, 14:04
....but then she would see a body on the ground!
i don't think it was a body before the driver hit it.

Str8 Jacket
3rd July 2006, 14:08
Yes, for sure he should have seen the body. Yes he may have been "under the influence". But who knows if he may have been scared by the people trying to wave him down that he accelerated to get away from them and in turn ran him over? Yes he would have felt the bump, yes it was his fault im not denying that. Im just saying that we werent there so we dont really know what happened.

Macktheknife
3rd July 2006, 14:08
RIP to the teen, tragic waste of a life. Deep sympathy to the family. Nothing but disgust for the driver. I wonder when/if we will hear the full story.

"D" FZ1
3rd July 2006, 14:29
I agree. I think that these choppers and similar small bikes shouldn't be anywhere near the streets.

Lou Girardin
3rd July 2006, 15:21
Leaves a party, gets on a mini chopper and falls off. Let me think - would he have been pissed?
It's doubtful the driver would have seen him on the road with a bunch of yobs distracting him by trying to flag him down, I wouldn't have stopped either.
Death by natural causes I'd say.

Bend-it
3rd July 2006, 15:59
I can't believe this conversation is veering towards "yeah, I can understand his not stopping." Dargaville isn't exactly "da hood", where you're likely to get mugged. There are lots of ways to slow down and NOT get mugged.

I see where Str8's coming from, saying, "Let's reserve judgement and let the investigators take care of it." But then there's no fun in forums if there's no one to rant at... So there,

Death to all non-stopping cagers, I say!!

Offending driver should have swerved to avoid the student and in doing so, run over the chopper! There, happy ending for all.

Harry33
3rd July 2006, 16:00
Might not have seen him but he must have heard or felt something.

SARGE
3rd July 2006, 17:17
Miniature choppers should be run over, preferably with a Steamroller.
I wonder why he fell off? perhaps he was trying to do a wheelie......

yea.. notice the hack reporter called him A MOTORCYCLIST??

so it begins...

Mr. Peanut
3rd July 2006, 17:30
Awww shit, here comes aunty Helen...

MidnightMike
3rd July 2006, 17:45
Should have run over the chopper not the poor drunk guy. rip dude. :(

Oakie
3rd July 2006, 17:53
Perhaps if the rider's mates hadn't distracted the driver by running onto the road then the rider might have been seen and been alive today. Sad how things work out sometimes. (My two cents worth.)
Sympathy to the rider's family and friends.

Lou Girardin
4th July 2006, 10:11
I can't believe this conversation is veering towards "yeah, I can understand his not stopping." Dargaville isn't exactly "da hood", where you're likely to get mugged. There are lots of ways to slow down and NOT get mugged.

Sorry, but in this day and age, if I hit someone at night and there was a group of people with him, I'd drive straight to the nearest Police station and report it. There's been too many drivers beaten to a pulp by pissed moron mates of the victim.

Swoop
4th July 2006, 10:45
Cheers for moving the thread from general biker stuff to this location Spank.
I had thought about which forum area to place it, and general seemd most appropriate. Cheers for my first reddies as well!

Robbo
4th July 2006, 14:19
Leaves a party, gets on a mini chopper and falls off. Let me think - would he have been pissed?
It's doubtful the driver would have seen him on the road with a bunch of yobs distracting him by trying to flag him down, I wouldn't have stopped either.
Death by natural causes I'd say.

Yeah, i'm with you on this one Lou. All the driver probably saw was a bunch of drunken yobos on a dark street late at night. Their distraction could have caused the problem in the first place and made it impossible for the driver to see anyone lying on the road untill it was too late. He did the right thing by not stopping and becoming another victim of the said crowd who were probably drunk and worked up into a frenzy by now.
No point in having two bodies on the same night.

Cheers