PDA

View Full Version : 1999-2002 Yamaha R6 Engine/Gearbox

R6_kid
25th July 2006, 20:00
Just wanted to ask around for those out of auckland if next time they are at the local bike wrecker they could ask as to the availability of any engines or gearbox parts for a 99-2002 Yamah R6.

Im not shit hot on exactly why i need but the guy I spoke too today said it sounds like the 'dogs' or 'selector forks' might not be ingaging properly.

Either way if you could ask your local wrecker so i can have some alternatives to going brandnew if i do decide to pay up and get it all sorted out.

checked the tyre pressure?

Steve_R6R
25th July 2006, 20:23
I don't know squat about the insides of bikes, but Gordon Pullen did mention to me that a common fault with the r6 box is the return spring failing. ?Aparently it is quite a simple fix, but as I mentioned I don't know squat and "simple" for a mechanic translates to "guranteed to fuck it up" for me.

R6_kid
25th July 2006, 20:30
checked the tyre pressure?

im not that newb.

it's only in second gear, and the sensation was that off the gain jumping, or of the wheel spinning up momentarily, but only in 2nd gear, not in first or 3rd or any other gear.

Maha
25th July 2006, 20:33
It may have some 'Russell Weed' in it bro'........try some roundup.........:blip:

Steve_R6R
25th July 2006, 20:35
Its not the clutch slipping? I had possibly a similar problem with my bike and found that fully synthetic oil was to blame. I changed to semi-synthetic motul 5100 and all was good.

R6_kid
25th July 2006, 20:41
that is a possibility because my clutch is worn (got 50k on it now) which im saving up to replace, but i'd assume that if it was the clutch then it would happen in first and third atleast aswell.

R6_kid
25th July 2006, 20:42
It may have some 'Russell Weed' in it bro'........try some roundup.........:blip:

haha, it was doing it on SH16 and also the bits before i tried the bushwhacking, and also after too.

Gonna be doing oil in the next few weeks so hopefully that helps it a bit.

Steve_R6R
25th July 2006, 21:02
It is not so much the clutch slipping (from being worn) as the oil being too slipery for the clutch to grip, what sort of oil is in it?

im not that newb.

Then why don't you have a kawasaki?

R6_kid
25th July 2006, 21:13
Then why don't you have a kawasaki?

no longer wished to be associated with yourself or that sexually confused 'man' on the purple and green 7R.

R6_kid
25th July 2006, 21:15
It is not so much the clutch slipping (from being worn) as the oil being too slipery for the clutch to grip, what sort of oil is in it?

Its got Castrol GPS in it at the moment 'synthetic based', will be putting motul semi in it when i change the filter in a couple of weeks.

**R1**
26th July 2006, 09:09
Sounds like you just need to find out what the problem is first...New or repaired parts are way cheaper than buying a new gearbox or engine....trust me:doobey: :doobey:

sAsLEX
26th July 2006, 13:54
Have you checked the oil in your steering damper?! If thats wrong it will completely make your bike handle like poos

zarinat
26th July 2006, 14:41
If its not going into gear, or it jumps out of gear, then you NEED some NEW parts. Dont go to all the trouble of stripping an engine & putting 2nd hand stuff into it- Either a shift fork is bent or the dogs are rounded off, a bit unusual for this bike- unless raced? Unless you have a big "S" on your chest & can look into the engine with xray vision, its going to have to come apart to some degree. I will email you a diagram of the box if you want.

R6_kid
26th July 2006, 19:33
steering damper isnt on saslex, and last time i checked that changes your turn charecteristics not how your rear wheel reacts under accleration in 2nd gear...

i have the full work shop manual and if it does come down to needing to dismantle it i will probably leave it up to the professionals.

Sytoms:
Selects gear fine, doesnt jump out. Feels as though the chain is 'jumping' under hard accleration in 2nd gear but is fine during commuting etc. The bike hasnt been raced but it was used mainly for track days by the previous owner. And im not exactly an 'old lady' rider, even if some will tell you otherwise :nya:

sAsLEX
26th July 2006, 19:40
steering damper isnt on saslex, and last time i checked that changes your turn charecteristics not how your rear wheel reacts under accleration in 2nd gear...

I was taking the piss out of affman, and his mechanical styles!

R6_kid
26th July 2006, 21:00
I was taking the piss out of affman, and his mechanical styles!

rofl, shoulda clicked. I think my suspension is stuffing up my lean angles - cant get to the edge of my tryes :wait:

Kwaka-Kid
27th July 2006, 23:45
i think its broke. i.e in need of mechanical repair.

Haha! Who knows dude, but changing over oil from Castrol to Motul aint gonna do crap if you have a fault occuring within the box i doubt. If you do change over oil or whatever just run Motul 5100 in it, semi synthetic is the way to go, dont ever throw fully synthetic at it.

i Doubt its selector forks, sounds more like a chunk outta 2nd gear itself, but in saying that maybe its not fully being engaged by fork, and has only taken a bit outta the side or something.

At the end of the day, all we can do is guess, untill you strip that bottom end off. Just hang her up and drop the sump off for starters to see whats kicking around down there, and progress...

R6_kid
28th July 2006, 11:43
Cheers KK, was thinking i might drop the bottom off and have a geez. Im off work and uni sick (until tuesday according to the doctor) so will have a good read up in the workshop manual and then have a go on sunday/monday.