PDA

View Full Version : No more unwanted wheelies

Eddieb
26th July 2006, 09:25
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10392936

Motorcycles have ABS brakes and electronically adjustable suspension, and from next year they'll also get stability control.

The Automatic Stability Control (ASC) is billed as the first system to control driven wheel spin on a production motorcycle, and will be an option on most BMW K1200 and R1200 machines, in conjunction with the new ABS system.

ASC has taken 15 years to develop, working alongside Continental-Teves which develops braking and traction systems for cars.

It's required improvements in both hydraulic and electronic technologies - the new single wire, CAN-Bus wiring loom adopted by BMW motorcycles is integral to ASC.

The new system is particularly important for a motorcycle putting out a lot of torque - bikes like Triumph's 2.3-litre, 200Nm Rocket III must cut back power in lower gears to prevent wheelspin.

The BMW will prevent involuntary spinning of the driven wheel, which will maintain grip and stability. The system works when pulling away or cornering, by cutting back power from the engine.

It will also detect lift-off and intervene to prevent involuntary wheelies - stunt-rider wannabes will be pleased to note you can switch the system off at any time, even on the move.

ManDownUnder
26th July 2006, 09:26
Avoiding unwanted wheelies??

Just buy a fucken RF mate

SimJen
26th July 2006, 09:30
Gay, will make future bikes like cars.....ie any tard will be able to use them.

aff-man
26th July 2006, 09:30
hahahahahah they spend 15 years to develope a system that will only work with a bmw's wiring loom.... :blah: :blah:

I would have thought they would have aimed at the slighter bigger japanese market where these things might actually be usefull.....

SimJen
26th July 2006, 09:36
I always thought your right hand controlled wheelspin/wheelies......perhaps I've been wrong all these years ;)

Biohazard
26th July 2006, 09:46
I always thought your right hand controlled wheelspin/wheelies......perhaps I've been wrong all these years ;)

Now I know where i've been going wrong:gob:

**R1**
26th July 2006, 09:46
I always thought your right hand controlled wheelspin/wheelies......perhaps I've been wrong all these years ;)Thats what I thought..and when the fook is a wheelie unwanted:scratch:

Motu
26th July 2006, 10:16
I'm not worried about wheelies,I'm not into them - but I need my wheelspin,it's an important part of my riding style.

sAsLEX
26th July 2006, 13:49
hahahahahah they spend 15 years to develope a system that will only work with a bmw's wiring loom.... :blah: :blah:

you MUPPET the CAN or CANnelloni system mentioned is not a BWM only thing, hell my uni project in inertial nav uses it, it is a BUS type system.

Lou Girardin
26th July 2006, 15:02
R1200LT Beemers are known wheelie monsters too.
So they fit all these rider aids like they do to cars and make riding foolproof and if you do bin it you'll be going so fast it's bound to be fatal. Right?
There's nothing like the educational benefits of a low speed lowside.

Colapop
26th July 2006, 15:10
I always thought "Automatic Stability Control" would mean trainer wheels...

aff-man
26th July 2006, 17:45
you MUPPET the CAN or CANnelloni system mentioned is not a BWM only thing, hell my uni project in inertial nav uses it, it is a BUS type system.

ahhh true... Muppet I am.... Still think it's funny... antiwheelie/wheelspin on a BMW hehehehe

James Deuce
26th July 2006, 17:53
I'd be intrigued to see how they got round the issues that companies and private teams racing in MotoGP had to spend millions on. Like how to train the system so that it understands the ever diminishing circumference of the tyre as it wears, and the drastic difference in diameter at the edge of a tyre rather than the middle.

Oh yeah. BMW's have concrete tyres, and NO BMW rider would ever entertain the thought of getting right to the edge of the tyre.

Silly me.

Hitcher
26th July 2006, 17:58
The electronics required to stop inadvertent wheelies sounds complex. It would presumably require some sort of feedback loop that spilled the excess power somewhere or overrode the throttle. From a sensor on the front suspension, perhaps?

Titanium
26th July 2006, 18:28
ahhh true... Muppet I am.... Still think it's funny... antiwheelie/wheelspin on a BMW hehehehe

Hmmmmm wheel spin eh........ you need to get out more.......

The BMW of new is very different from the BMW of old.........

Titanium
26th July 2006, 18:31
Oh yeah. BMW's have concrete tyres, and NO BMW rider would ever entertain the thought of getting right to the edge of the tyre.

Silly me.

Nup just checked, not concrete. they are rubber (or what ever they make them out of these days) and no little elephants / chicken strips either ......:scooter:

The Pastor
26th July 2006, 19:24
I would of thought they would of spent 15 years into making a wheelie button......

Hitcher
26th July 2006, 19:43
I would of thought they would of spent 15 years into making a wheelie button......
Gahhh!

"would have"... for pity's sake.

James Deuce
26th July 2006, 20:15
Nup just checked, not concrete. they are rubber (or what ever they make them out of these days) and no little elephants / chicken strips either ......:scooter:

It's getting way too easy.....

sugilite
26th July 2006, 20:28
It greatly disturbs me that any motorcyclist would view a wheelie as an unwanted thing, sniff :weep:

Mental Trousers
26th July 2006, 21:18
Hang on, when is a wheelie unwanted other than launching at a drag strip??

The Pastor
27th July 2006, 11:13
Hang on, when is a wheelie unwanted other than launching at a drag strip??

When theres a truck dumping metal 20m infront of you!

Skyryder
7th August 2006, 21:35
Well whatever.............bet the bikes get great tyre mileage.

Skyryder