PDA

View Full Version : All in one place - again

Paul in NZ
26th July 2006, 21:02
Oh joy, rapture - happy, pleased, grin, smirk, happy...

My dear old Triumph is all in one place again. Opposite sides of the garage but it's just an assembly job now. All the hard stuff is done. Joe Hannah did a bloody fantastic job of the engine. FAR better than I would have done and he found stuff wrong that I had just been riding around for 15 years.... Money well spent IMHO.

Am I happy - OH BABY am I happy, I've got me old mate's heart back better than new.

For the people that care.....

We had to go +80 in the bore and it's quite tight so careful running in. 9:1 pistons (japanese) with hepolite rings.

Crank is std

20 under on the end of the crank and a new timing cover should keep the oil pressure up aided by a brand new MORGO oil pump and clean with a filter in the return line.

Every bearing and bush replaced.

Factory cams saved and resurfaced. Cam followers re radiused and hardened.

Cases repaired where the chain broke before I got it.

New clutch wheel, engine sprocket and primary chain.

New guides and valves - heads great. Lash caps fitted, rocker boxes rebuilt

New camplate in the box (still 4 speed), new sprokets

Cases modified to 1970 beather / primary oil sharing

Boyer electronic ignition

Everything replated, polished, renewed and looking schmick...

Stuff that - it looks the frickin business....

jazbug5
26th July 2006, 21:06
Pictures soon?

Characters..............

Paul in NZ
26th July 2006, 21:08
Pictures soon?

Characters..............

Yup - fer sure....

Brian d marge
26th July 2006, 21:20
I can understand how you feel. Its a great fealing when you first leap on that kickstarter

Depends on the piston material but keep the heat LOW untill the four point have had a chance , a great topic of debate this on the Enfield site !!!

Boyer, They can cause trouble. I have had them spit a throttle slide on a bonnie The shop in question said boyers never cause problem...Electric dont hide the truth!!

You have a good bike there ! She should go on for a few years yet!

Might make me get my sh together !!

Stephen

merv
26th July 2006, 21:25
Mate - sounds fantastic.

Skunk
26th July 2006, 21:41
Brilliant Paul. Hope to get to see it on the road.

Motu
26th July 2006, 22:16
Lucky bugger - wish I was an old fart with time on my hands and money to burn,two incomes and the kids left home....I don't seem to have time for projects at the moment.Did he degree those cams? With the interchangability of Triumph parts,over so many years,I've found lining up the dots can be waaaaay off the mark.They need to be degreed in,same with the ignition timing,do it at the same time.

What carb/carbs are you using? Some nice new Concentrics,or rebuilt ones? I once found a set of 4 brand new Monoblocks in a car Speedshop - they were Speedwells,so I got two of them for a good price because they couldn't sell them.Imagine - brand new monoblocks in 1976,when all the monoblocks around were totaly stuffed.Far better than concentrics....if you have to,get them stainless sleeved.

Edbear
26th July 2006, 22:25
Yup - fer sure....

:wait:

10 whqtsits

Brian d marge
26th July 2006, 23:16
we are comming out of the wood work now

Yup I would go with the monbloc , I have one on my Enfield much nicer carb .....

Stephen

Paul in NZ
27th July 2006, 09:41
Lucky bugger - wish I was an old fart with time on my hands and money to burn,two incomes and the kids left home....I don't seem to have time for projects at the moment.Did he degree those cams? With the interchangability of Triumph parts,over so many years,I've found lining up the dots can be waaaaay off the mark.They need to be degreed in,same with the ignition timing,do it at the same time.

What carb/carbs are you using? Some nice new Concentrics,or rebuilt ones? I once found a set of 4 brand new Monoblocks in a car Speedshop - they were Speedwells,so I got two of them for a good price because they couldn't sell them.Imagine - brand new monoblocks in 1976,when all the monoblocks around were totaly stuffed.Far better than concentrics....if you have to,get them stainless sleeved.

Hey - enough of the old eh.... :blah:

Yes - we have 2 incomes now but trust me - there is not millions burning holes in our pocket due to decades of single income etc and Vicki has 2 part time jobs that don't exactly pay corporate scale or cover car expenses.

I've owned the bike for 16 plus years but this rebuild has taken several years, buying a new bit here and a bit there and saving the $$ but you are right in saying it is an utter luxury and a pure indulgence on my part.

One thing for sure - I appreciate VERY much that Vicki does no begrudge me time the $$ the mess it all makes and she was a stoked as I was the way it turned out.

Stuff was purchased in the USA and the UK over the net to get the best mix of cost effective vs quality. I reckon I saved quite a lot by doing that and that allowed me to pay for Joe to do such a good job putting it all together.

Yes, everyting has been degreed, measured, lined up and perfected by Joe at ten times the accuracy I would have employed. And I mean everything. It's made me worry the rest of it won't live up to the engine... I've tried not to go overboard on things but this time, everything that spins, slides or goes up and down has been replaced, reconditioned and inspected. I've skimped on the cosmetics (still a fair job) to afford that.

I purchased a brand new concentric carb a while back. It's a 1970 Trophy so it only has one 30mm carb which is a good thing IMHO. Replacing the carb was about the same price as repairing the old one.

End of the day - I love this bike - I know it's just a machine and not even a particularly valuable one but - we have history and it's a keeper.

Brian d marge
27th July 2006, 12:41
be interesting to see that when you start riding it, you will find that a well set up triumph will just be sweet as . smooth reliable and just plain usable ...

The reason why I chose an Enfield , Crash it , all steel can be repaired cheaply. Holds it value , worth F all to start with ,

useable . it will criuse ALL day at 50mph ( 100 km/h) ... and it doesnt use gas ...very frugal .

and in 20 years time I will still have it , as I have 2 engines

and finally the BLING factor ...... TONS off it

Stephen

I wonder if I can let slip, a group in America are taking a Enfied to the salt flats to do a Burt munro, This is a major undertaking
This is the bike that has won its AMA class against some stiff opposition

Macktheknife
27th July 2006, 13:03
Good for you mate, enjoy, it sounds great, when are these piccies coming then?

Motu
27th July 2006, 13:33
He's probably got them drying on pegs in the darkroom - some people just got to do everything themselves.

Paul in NZ
27th July 2006, 13:34
He's probably got them drying on pegs in the darkroom - some people just got to do everything themselves.

None of that modern stuff... I'm painting a picture of it in oils...

Paul in NZ
27th July 2006, 13:36
be interesting to see that when you start riding it, you will find that a well set up triumph will just be sweet as . smooth reliable and just plain usable ...
Stephen

You have to remember that I have done a lot of miles on this particular bike. I have at least 3 sets of dead pistons to prove it.... But it's been thrashed, raced, rallied and crashed by me in every part of the country south of taupo

sels1
27th July 2006, 13:40
None of that modern stuff... I'm painting a picture of it in oils...

oils? what happened to the charcoal???

Good on ya Paul, look forward to seeing it running

Ixion
27th July 2006, 13:44
No, oils is fine for us old fossils.

y'just take some of the dinsosaur fat left over from last night's dinner, mix it with a bit of mastodon blood, and some of that red dirt from around the mouth of the cave.And happy painting.

rc_36_rider
27th July 2006, 13:51
You have to remember that I have done a lot of miles on this particular bike. I have at least 3 sets of dead pistons to prove it.... But it's been thrashed, raced, rallied and crashed by me in every part of the country south of taupo

bloody legend!!!
you sound like my dad ;)

Paul in NZ
27th July 2006, 19:12
bloody legend!!!
you sound like my dad ;)

In that case - get to bed early, eat yer greens and be nice to yer mum....

I'm not a legend mate - just a fat old gimp that loves a dribbly old triumph (I've just been out patting the engine - cor - looks great)

Hitcher
27th July 2006, 20:09
Congratulations! I look forward to seeing it in all of its purpleness.

Sounds a bit like my grandfather's axe, though...

scumdog
27th July 2006, 20:49
Good shit Paul, I saw the start of this thread and thought "Hmm, wot's this about then"

But now I've read it I can see you're a man after my own heart, send pics, I'm drooling.

jazbug5
27th July 2006, 20:53
Congratulations! I look forward to seeing it in all of its purpleness.

Sounds a bit like my grandfather's axe, though...

Er... your grandfather... had a purple axe..?

I won't ask.

(PS I know, you mean something along the same lines as 'King Arthur's Axe')

Motu
27th July 2006, 21:40
Musta been a metalflake Strat....?

SlowHand
30th July 2006, 20:03
Well I have been a snowflake-Strat the past week...

Along with fall-off-4m-cliff-Strat.

Hitcher
30th July 2006, 20:37
And it looks good with an engine in place...

Paul in NZ
31st July 2006, 09:21
And it looks good with an engine in place...

Yes - many thanks to Jim2 for the lift in. It just dropped in bang on - I'm deeply suspicious... Not sure it's going to sound quite so nice on the idle as Hitchers new steed...

riffer
31st July 2006, 21:43
grrr... pictures.. damn it.

At this rate I'm just gonna have to go over Paekak to see the jolly thing for myself.

Well done Paul. Can't wait to see it. :yes:

Paul in NZ
6th August 2006, 18:36
Oh so CLOSE I can smell it...

Oil is in, all the major parts are fitted. Just the ignition to hook up and the fuel lines to install and.... Shes BACK after 6 years.

Even if I do say so - this thing is looking the bloody business...... I'm well pleased.

Next post will be a running in post and hopefully - pictures of the sexy beast.

Edbear
6th August 2006, 19:37
and hopefully - pictures of the sexy beast.

Errr! Just the bike'll do matey....:doobey: