PDA

View Full Version : East London Police criticised for mini-moto ‘race’ day

Bob
3rd August 2006, 00:38
At the same time the Home Secretary announces firmer action over mini-motos, police in a London Borough has received criticism for taking a different approach.

The Fairlop Safer Neighbourhood team booked a 10,000 square foot inflatable race track, with youngsters from across the borough are being invited to the site to be given the chance to race for free.

Local Councillor Sue Nolan criticised the police action: "I'm very concerned about whether this is the right way to tackle the problem because it's becoming a big problem in my area and it's a nightmare. They are very dangerous. I question whether this is the most appropriate use of the police's time?"

In response, Fairlop safer neighbourhood team leader, Sergeant Pete Davis, said: "It's an opportunity to get in touch with children and advise them on how and where they should be using them. People who use these types of bikes can come along without their bikes and we can engage with them and advise them on their use on the road.

"People regard them as toys but in law they are motor vehicles that need tax, MOTs and insurance."

Motu
3rd August 2006, 07:31
They should give her a personalised Shoie helmet with her name on it....