PDA

View Full Version : Greater Manchester Police withdraw ST1300’s after training accident

Bob
4th August 2006, 00:28
Greater Manchester Police has withdrawn twenty Honda ST1300s, following the death of an officer during a training exercise after he hit a stationary lorry.

It is believed other police forces have taken similar action. The decision was taken after the Police Federation urged forces to suspend use.

oldrider
12th August 2006, 16:53
Greater Manchester Police has withdrawn twenty Honda ST1300s, following the death of an officer during a training exercise after he hit a stationary lorry.

It is believed other police forces have taken similar action. The decision was taken after the Police Federation urged forces to suspend use.
There must be more to this story than just the above! Like "WHY"
I am surprised and frustrated at there being no further post or information on why such drastic action should be taken.
Sad that the officer died or was even injured but hitting a "stationary" lorry could hardly be laid at the ST1300 bike's door!
Could some one who knows the whole story post a link or some explanation for the above action please!
There are too many incomplete or unresolved threads or posts on KB, I like to follow up to a conclusion.
Honda ST1300's are a good bike, what happened? Cheers John.

Wasp
12th August 2006, 22:38
Hmmm I guess a lorry is worse than a reversing RAV4 isn't it...

The_Dover
12th August 2006, 22:41
you're a bit of a boring bastard aren't you bob?

and you ride a kumandsukme. karma is a bitch huh?

Deano
12th August 2006, 22:46
Apologies.

Brian d marge
12th August 2006, 23:55
Here is the reason (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/219/219477_police_death_smash_bike_grounded_.html)

Just big corperations doing the double check thing ,,
Stephen

Bob
13th August 2006, 09:10
you're a bit of a boring bastard aren't you bob?

and you ride a kumandsukme. karma is a bitch huh?

What has my riding a Kawasaki have to do with Karma, when the original post was to do with a Honda?

As I've said before, if you don't like what appears on here, either don't come in here, or find some original news items yourself.

Last time of saying this to you - a lot of work has gone into here to ensure a good attitude. You clearly offended people by making fun of the death of someone's husband and father, simply because they were a serving officer. And there are serving officers on here. Do you think it is right to treat your fellow Kiwibikers like that? I don't, which is why I reported the post.

OK?

oldrider
13th August 2006, 14:38
Here is the reason (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/219/219477_police_death_smash_bike_grounded_.html)

Just big corperations doing the double check thing ,,
Stephen

Thanks for posting that Stephen. While I appreciate the original post by Bob, it really needed access to the source article in order to a complete the reason why such drastic action was taken by the police.

Obviously from the article, Honda and the police are working closely on the investigation.

Perhaps poor old Hitcher's input would be of value to their investigation, I mean two consecutive incidents within a very short space of actual riding time, combined with the police experience, is perhaps more than coincidental!

I have a personal liking for the Honda St1300 and would dearly like to own one but the Yamaha equivalent that Hitcher replaced his Honda with is also a very attractive and tempting option.

My next preference for replacing my current steed is (with bated breath) a BMW R 1200 GS, which would leave me in the "adventure" world but all of these require a very close study into our nest egg commitments and liabilities.

It really is a pain the way the real world interferes with our dream world but such is life I guess. :blip: Cheers John.

oldrider
13th August 2006, 14:44
What has my riding a Kawasaki have to do with Karma, when the original post was to do with a Honda?

As I've said before, if you don't like what appears on here, either don't come in here, or find some original news items yourself.

Last time of saying this to you - a lot of work has gone into here to ensure a good attitude. You clearly offended people by making fun of the death of someone's husband and father, simply because they were a serving officer. And there are serving officers on here. Do you think it is right to treat your fellow Kiwibikers like that? I don't, which is why I reported the post.

OK?

C'mon Bob, this is a biker forum after all and Dover is just being Dover, that's his trade mark, I don't think he really means any offence.
Shit a brick if you were eyeball to eyeball and in deep shit needing help, Dover would probably be the first to offer you a helping hand.

I appreciate your feelings but chill out and enjoy the bullshit. :yes: Cheers John.

WINJA
13th August 2006, 15:53
They Withdraw The Bikes Cause A Couple Of Pigs Cant Ride , Wtf Is Up With That , They Cant Be That Hard To Ride Surely , Even Nodman Hasnt Crashed His Yet , Still Heres Hopeing And Wishing

James Deuce
14th August 2006, 08:19
Next time there is a training death related to car training (as unpleasant as that is, however it does happen) we should send emails asking why they aren't withdrawing patrol cars.

scumdog
14th August 2006, 10:39
Next time there is a training death related to car training (as unpleasant as that is, however it does happen) we should send emails asking why they aren't withdrawing patrol cars.

NEXT time? when was the first time?:gob: (And I'm talking about NZ here)

James Deuce
14th August 2006, 10:41
I'm talking about the UK. There was a case in Hampshire where a trainee pulled into motorway traffic from the side of the M3 after Radar training. Straight into the side of an HGV.

Blackbird
14th August 2006, 11:15
A friend of mine in the UK who used to ride an ST on motorway patrol in the Manchester area had an exceedingly bad accident in 2004 whilst riding it. He has no memory of the event but witnesses said that he speared across 3 lanes of motorway before collecting the median barrier. Witnesses believe that he was caught by a gust of wind but there was no definite conclusion. He worked for a civil motorway maintenance company and I don't believe there was any grounding of ST's at that stage. Sadly, maybe a death is required to prompt action.