PDA

View Full Version : Biker beats Jet fighter

Bob
5th August 2006, 00:24
Ducati Glasgow boss Martin Rees, 30, beat a £25 million Tornado fighter not once, but twice in a challenge at RAF Leuchars.

He took on the fighter aboard his friend’s £21,000 superbike, racing along the base’s half-mile runway. Although the Tornado can reach speeds of up to 1000mph, Rees was able to keep ahead over the shorter distance.

The Tornado was able to beat both a Ferrari and an Aston Martin.

Rees said "The whole experience was unbelievable. To race against a Tornado jet - and win - was just amazing. Taking part in the race was the biggest adrenaline rush I've ever experienced and I'd love to do it again - hopefully next year."

scumdog
5th August 2006, 01:20
It would be a good beer drinking topic -
"Yeah man, I beat a Tornado fighter plane in a race"

Drunk "No shit, how did you fly the bike?"

Would be a cool patch to wear too.

Bob
5th August 2006, 02:51
I don't know if any video footage exists, but on the Sky TV show "Brainiac", Richard Hammond (of Top Gear fame) raced his R1 against a golf ball and a firework rocket.

Idea was that Hammond was off to a rolling start, with the golf ball hit and rocket launched as he crossed the start line.

Can't recall the distance, but I'm pretty sure Hammond just about beat the rocket... though by the finish line it was closing on him pretty fast.

That - and when Jon Tickle walked on custard (I'm not kidding) - is how I like to see my science... fun!

Dafe
5th August 2006, 06:51
It always makes me think "what a have!" when I hear this.

Beating something when it's down!

I couldn't find any happiness in saying I bet a jetplane, especially when it hasn't even reached %10 of it's top speed.

I wouldn't even consider boasting that I could refuel faster, or beat it off the start in a le-mans race, or get from the taxi way to the apron quicker either.

Then again I'm biased, having worked on jet planes.

hurricane_r
5th August 2006, 08:28
WOOT go bikes, top speed im sure the jet would win :P

RantyDave
5th August 2006, 08:53
I couldn't find any happiness in saying I bet a jetplane, especially when it hasn't even reached %10 of it's top speed.
Particularly gallling when you consider that jets rely on the air rushing up to meet it in order to produce most of it's power. Still, must've been fun.

Dave

bugjuice
5th August 2006, 10:16
on the Sky TV show "Brainiac", Richard Hammond (of Top Gear fame) raced his R1 against a golf ball and a firework rocket.

Idea was that Hammond was off to a rolling start, with the golf ball hit and rocket launched as he crossed the start line.

Can't recall the distance, but I'm pretty sure Hammond just about beat the rocket... though by the finish line it was closing on him pretty fast.
the clip is on the net, it was posted here the other day. It was Hammonds CBR1000 which could explain why the rocket beat him, but by a fraction of a second. He got a bit of wheel spin too, which impressed me

I'd race a jet.. I'd loose, but it'd be fun

Edbear
5th August 2006, 20:56
the clip is on the net, it was posted here the other day. It was Hammonds CBR1000 which could explain why the rocket beat him, but by a fraction of a second. He got a bit of wheel spin too, which impressed me

I'd race a jet.. I'd loose, but it'd be fun

It's all in fun! I'm for fun! There's not enough fun around!:yes:

Folcan
6th August 2006, 21:44
The link for anyone who wants to see it http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=705014#post705014

THe firework and stuff that is

McJim
6th August 2006, 22:05
Good to see things haven't changed back home in Scotland.