PDA

View Full Version : RG150: Oversize piston or standard?

Coyote
5th August 2006, 10:35
The RG is over due for a new piston and ring. On Trademe, there's been several oversize piston and ring kits for the RG being sold by the one seller. Zorst bought one a few weeks ago

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Engine-drive-train/auction-65343014.htm

I've been wondering what I should do. This kit is pretty cheap and I could pay the buy now price right now, only I'm not sure if I need an oversize piston or not. The RG is up to 34000km, and tracing it's history as best I could I have found it's had no work done to it (and comparing it to Zorsts bike it is seriously down on power).

Now, here is what I need to know:
Would the cylinder have worn down enough to need an oversize piston?
Is it best to find a standard size piston instead?
Should I get this kit and bore out the cylinder anyway?
If I do get it rebored, how much is it likely to cost and where should I go?
Should I just sell it and upgrade to an SP1?

I plan to change the piston myself to reduce labour costs

k14
5th August 2006, 11:04
Go for the oversize aye. Get a rebore, should cost about $40 and that way it will be more certain of not having any problems. There should be 3 or 4 oversizes available so that should give you plenty of rebuilds. Not worth the risk of getting a standard one and then finding out that compression is a bit low cause of some wear.

Coyote
5th August 2006, 12:31
Where do I go to get the cylinder bored? Will a bike store be able to?

ZorsT
5th August 2006, 18:31
my bike clocked 27K over last week. I've had it since 7K and havn't replaced the insides. I doubt the last owner did either (it was still on the origional tyres!)
I took it apart a few weeks ago. I was surprised how new it was inside. I could still see the cross hatching from its origional bore-ing. Ring gap was 3 thou past the new setting, still nearly 20thou within spec (i think, this is off the top of my head)

edit: post 666

be afraid...

Coyote
6th August 2006, 15:21
edit: post 666

You used your 666th post in one of my threads?! I'm honored

I got the kit anyway. I'll take the barrel to a guy svs told me about. Should all be sweet :D