PDA

View Full Version : Not every day you see something like that. Thank goodness

Ixion
13th August 2006, 09:59
Ouch. Not mine. I lifted it from another forum.

Blew the plug clean out of the head. That's two strokes f'ya.

Motu
13th August 2006, 12:38
That's a ripper!

erik
13th August 2006, 13:27
was it not screwed in properly or something?

sAsLEX
13th August 2006, 13:29
was it not screwed in properly or something?

Thats what I was thinking as well, but you think if it wasnt screwed in prop then it wouldn't of made a very good seal

texmo
13th August 2006, 13:38
Far out what type of motor is that out of

Firefight
13th August 2006, 13:49
Far out what type of motor is that out of

internal combustion

still waiting for the pasta !

F/F

texmo
13th August 2006, 14:42
internal combustion

still waiting for the pasta !

F/F

If its internal combustion then why is the spark plug on the out side?
I though the pasta was on you since I am such a looker and I won my races?

R6_kid
13th August 2006, 16:17
lol, the spark plug is 'in' the engine and the combustion happens inside the cylinder where the spark plug ignites the gas.

Still something would have had to go pretty wrong for that to happen.

Ixion
13th August 2006, 18:00
Out of a Suzuki 500 two smoker (might have been a racing one, TR500, not sure). apparently blew the spark plug out of the head, took all the head threads off, and did that to the plug . There was also in suggestion that a broken ring might be implicated, though I can't see quite how.

Brian d marge
14th August 2006, 20:21
Shows you that on threads the first few threads take the majority of the loads , Either that of big bruce MacHammer the mechanic has been up to his old tricks

Stephen

Kickaha
15th August 2006, 18:28
apparently blew the spark plug out of the head, took all the head threads off,

I've seen it once before on a T160 Triumph, guy was riding it back to Christchurch (120km) as a twin :lol:

paturoa
15th August 2006, 18:48
Saw a motor mower do that many a year back, the cretin had given the plug about 2 million ft lb of torque and hard partial striped the thread in the head. He said that the plug wouldnt get any tighter.

I ran for about 2 minutes, I suspect until the head heated up, and spat the plug out about 5 ft.

bladez
15th August 2006, 19:00
have seen something like that:yes: my blade was getting a service done
picked up bike yeah ha starts now :yes: went 2 hundred meters to gas station and bang :gob: . lots of things went through my head (what have i done) looked at spark plug lead and plug was still there but the threed was not :gob: poped it right out more bloody money gone :bye:

Ixion
15th August 2006, 19:03
I've seen a few blow out of the heads , and take the head threads out. never seen one rip the thread off the plug itself.

Also seen plenty of sidevalve plugs immoveably rusted into the cast iron heads.

And seen plugs where the ceramic bit has blown clean out of the metal body.

Motu
15th August 2006, 19:43
Yeah,those threads are torn off the body - like the head was stronger than the sparkplug...maybe a helicoil in the head? I still think it must of been loose to start with,then unwound untill the last few threads couldn't take the strain.Removing up to a dozen sparkplugs a day,maybe more - you'd be surprised at how many are loose....and not because the guy who fitted them didn't tighten them up.Murphy sleeps in workshops overnight....he gets an early start that way.....

My mate couldn't get the plugs out of his Indian,so he used to remove the heads to clean the plugs.