PDA

View Full Version : Running In And Oil

Dak
15th August 2006, 20:13
What are people views on how you should run in a motor? Also oil recommendations for my CB1300 bearing in mind I'm not after a full synthetic and I've always been partial to Castrol products.

MattRSK
15th August 2006, 20:16
How about a non-synthetic castrol oil?

merv
15th August 2006, 20:20
Run it in by being easy but not too easy and give it the odd squirt now and then.

Castrol GPS the semi synthetic is my pick - not as expensive as the full synthetic but is great all the same. You can get it at Repco or Supercheap or at bike shops for about $50 for 4 litres. I use it in all our bikes and because we don't do big kms on our bikes it always looks clean and I don't change it very often. I always change filters each time - can't see any point putting clean oil through a dirty filter.

cowpoos
15th August 2006, 20:21
chuck normal non-synthetic oil in it....take it for a rip for 20 km's....come home drain and replace the oil and filter....chuck full synthetic in it and go thrash the shit out of it....

Motu
15th August 2006, 20:35
If you are going run in your CB1300 by ringing the nuts off it - I think you'll end up in a thousand pieces before it does.You'll have to tow a tandem trailer to load that motor up....or have you got the gutless version? Fuchs is the best oil for the price these days - I'd go for diesel oil,they are the closest to motorcycle specs with out the motorcycle price.

imdying
15th August 2006, 22:02
Cane the crap out of it, leave in what ever oil the dealer puts in it. Get them to service it when the book says... and pretty much forget about it. Even if you put the shittiest oil possible in, it'll still be running fine by the time you sell it. (assuming you're not someone that desires to be buried with your bike, can't buy a new one more than every 10 years etc etc :D)

It's got a filter, it's got a mesh cover in the pickup, draining the oil before the first (1000km?) service interval is a waste of time and money.

Blackbird
16th August 2006, 07:51
Use a good ordinary oil for the break-in period. Full synthetics don't help break-in at all and by implication, semi-synthetics are probably in between. I've seen quite a bit of discussion on the UK Blackbird site about oils and Honda apparently don't recommend full synthetics for an number of reasons. I've used Motul 5100 semi synthetic for several years and have been more than happy with it. It's a bit like tyres really, everyone has a favourite but semi-synthetic is all you need when broken in.

Lou Girardin
16th August 2006, 08:31
What cowpoos said, except I did a couple of hundred k's before I gave it welly. Changed to semi-synth at the 1st service.

Flyingpony
16th August 2006, 09:19
Ran mineral for the first two services so new engine could bed properly, then switched to semi-synthetic for the third service and have been on fully-synthetic ever since. During the bed period, I kept within the RPM limits but did vary the load by riding on flats & hills.

Not sure what brand of mineral oil the shop put in was but the semi-synthetic was Shell Advance 4, with left overs now being used on chain, and the fully-synthetic is Castrol Racing.

Ivan
16th August 2006, 10:14
I run my motor in in my GP bike by starting it and holding it at a constent rev dont let revs gain or drop run it up to operating temperature which in my case is 55C and kill it I do that 4 times then take it out and do 3 laps of short changing not hitting powerband and then gradually increase the revs or find the proper run in procedure by honda which will be something like ride at 8 thousand rpm for 3ks and then up to 10 thousand rpm for another 3ks

I hate the idea of running in by starting the motor and going full noise your parts dont last long bike is unreliable not nice

But yea

GO TO THE OWNERS MANUAL

Ivan
16th August 2006, 10:17
Also Spectro is the best oil I have used out there:yes:

Sketchy_Racer
16th August 2006, 14:33
Also Spectro is the best oil I have used out there:yes:

All hail Ivan for he knows everything.

the best huh? how do you know that?

any top name oil is good.

Ivan
16th August 2006, 14:36
All hail Ivan for he knows everything.

the best huh? how do you know that?

any top name oil is good.

I said that I have used it and I always give my sponsers good advertising because there product is the best I used Blew my crank pulled engine down and it was nice and clean inside ports and on piston and head stripped engine down all bottom end bearings well lubricated and clean dont know what crawled up your poo hole and died

Sketchy_Racer
16th August 2006, 14:47
Not to bad mouth spectro but if it was so good how come your crank siezed??

Spectro is a very good oil and, I also, swear by it!

oh and nothing crawled up anywhere and died.

Ivan
16th August 2006, 15:54
Not to bad mouth spectro but if it was so good how come your crank siezed??

Spectro is a very good oil and, I also, swear by it!

oh and nothing crawled up anywhere and died.

Maybe because my crank bearings were to old!!!!!!!
I have told you that before!!

Sketchy_Racer
16th August 2006, 16:06
oh yer......

MattRSK
16th August 2006, 17:24
yer... I think so, what they said. Ivan and RG100!! They know everything :rockon:

FROSTY
17th August 2006, 09:27
I prefer to run in on mineral oil at least a few hundred km's
Then swap to semi synthetic

Motu
17th August 2006, 10:28
Factory first fill with synthetic is standard on most top line Euro cars now - the urban legend of not running in with synthetics has been debunked a long time ago....but alive and well on KB.I'd still run in on a dino though,waste of money if you are going to dump it at 1000km.

cowpoos
17th August 2006, 13:27
Factory first fill with synthetic is standard on most top line Euro cars now - the urban legend of not running in with synthetics has been debunked a long time ago....but alive and well on KB.I'd still run in on a dino though,waste of money if you are going to dump it at 1000km.
I agree.....I only suggested non-synthetic because if your gunna dump it at 20kms.....its cheaper!!!