PDA

View Full Version : Women-only bike magazine launched

Bob
23rd August 2006, 00:40
A magazine aimed purely at women motorbike enthusiasts has been launched.

Bikeress will initially be a quarterly publication and claims to be “Packed full of exciting features, product reviews, tips and advice, stories along with profiles, competitions, giveaways, news, holiday diaries and ideas plus much more, Bikeress is the ideal accessory for any women biker enthusiasts and just perfect for your panniers.”

Tracy Kearley Editor for Bikeress said “The reason I wanted to launch the mag is because there doesn’t seem to be any magazines available to women. I know lots of women read the magazines available on the shelves at the moment, but they don’t seem to cater much for the female variety! The magazine will cover all aspects and types of motorcycling dedicated to women, so if there is anything you would like to see in future issues drop me a line.”

For more information or to subscribe, go to http:// www.bikeress.co.uk

Bob
23rd August 2006, 00:40
A magazine aimed purely at women motorbike enthusiasts has been launched.

Bikeress will initially be a quarterly publication and claims to be “Packed full of exciting features, product reviews, tips and advice, stories along with profiles, competitions, giveaways, news, holiday diaries and ideas plus much more, Bikeress is the ideal accessory for any women biker enthusiasts and just perfect for your panniers.”

Tracy Kearley Editor for Bikeress said “The reason I wanted to launch the mag is because there doesn’t seem to be any magazines available to women. I know lots of women read the magazines available on the shelves at the moment, but they don’t seem to cater much for the female variety! The magazine will cover all aspects and types of motorcycling dedicated to women, so if there is anything you would like to see in future issues drop me a line.”

For more information or to subscribe, go to http:// www.bikeress.co.uk

Back Fire
23rd August 2006, 00:44
why can't they just make one good unisex magazine.... instead of segragating the market

Bob
23rd August 2006, 01:11
why can't they just make one good unisex magazine.... instead of segragating the market

It must be possible, surely? I'd say Ride magazine in the UK isn't bad - at one point their road tester was a woman and one of their main feature writers now is female (and is doing an excellent series where she does a step-by-step feature series of going from novice to taking part in a proper race series).

That said, it is all too easy to offend. I have a part-time role with a biking newspaper here in the UK - and the first issue managed to cause upset as a scantily-clad girlie was used in publicity on one of the pages. For no good reason as far as I could work out.

ogr1
23rd August 2006, 04:32
That's a tad sex'ist ain't it?
What next... "Gay biker weekly"? Trannies on two wheels"?
A mag like that does nothing to promote the solidarity of bikers in general, only promotes segregation of the sexes IMHO.

Rashika
23rd August 2006, 07:26
I actually think it is a grand idea!
Why not have a mag to cater more for female riders? We have always had to read mags aimed at blokes, buy bikes aimed at blokes, buy clothing aimed at blokes, yadda yadda the list goes on.
The one thing I have noticed lately is that the UK does seem to have a whole heap more things aimed at women bikers, clothing inparticular...we never really get to see or hear about it unless we travel over there, or maybe via the internet. It wold be nice to read about stuff that actually does work for women, rather than the usual testosterone buzz that seems to pervade anything remotely biker mag like...bloody good on em I say!
Yup there are some okay mags out there, we have them for Harley riders, sports riders, racers, cruiser, casual riders etc, why not women riders? Seems to be a big group out there who have barely EVER been catered for.
Hope it makes it out our way

Rashika
23rd August 2006, 07:37
That's a tad sex'ist ain't it?
What next... "Gay biker weekly"? Trannies on two wheels"?
A mag like that does nothing to promote the solidarity of bikers in general, only promotes segregation of the sexes IMHO.

Bollocks... Solidarity of bikers, yeah right... you spent a lot of time on KB lately?
For my entire riding life of around 14 years, I have NEVER ever been able to buy something that has been designed/make specifically for women until last year. You have mags aimed at different riders of different bikes, why not the female gender for once?
It might even encourage those who would love to ride but they think riding a bike means becoming all macho and MAN like, it might even helps those of us who ride now to find out about other likeminded people, why not give us a role model to follow?... I reckon its all good ;)

Bob
23rd August 2006, 08:14
Couple of links that may be of assistance (not used them... obviously, so can't vouch for them):

http://www.girlsbike2.com/

http://www.ladybiker.co.uk/

Hope these are useful,

Bob

Lou Girardin
23rd August 2006, 08:16
and the first issue managed to cause upset as a scantily-clad girlie was used in publicity on one of the pages. For no good reason as far as I could work out.

They need a reason?
She is naked, therefore she is.

Rashika
23rd August 2006, 08:21
They need a reason?
She is naked, therefore she is.

hehe ...now what i need right now is one of those really HUGE smilies that has a BIG tongue poking out, this 'll have to do! :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

jazbug5
23rd August 2006, 08:24
Will there be hazy pictures of 'surgically enhanced' naked men draped across bikes in the centre spread?

Please?

Fishy
23rd August 2006, 08:30
Sounds like a good idea if you ask me, now Superbike Magazine should finally be able to put full nude centrefolds in without chick readers complaining like they have been recently just over titty shots.

Finn
23rd August 2006, 08:54
Finally a bike mag for Dover. Maybe they'll have book reviews in it too.

Rashika
23rd August 2006, 09:10
Will there be hazy pictures of 'surgically enhanced' naked men draped across bikes in the centre spread?

Please?

check out the website...they are keen for helpful hints :innocent: and THAT sounds like a VERY helpful hint :Punk:

Rashika
23rd August 2006, 09:15
Sounds like a good idea if you ask me, now Superbike Magazine should finally be able to put full nude centrefolds in without chick readers complaining like they have been recently just over titty shots.

yeah see then you can have those mags all to yourself again :yes:
so its a good thing really huh?? :rockon:

_Gina_
23rd August 2006, 09:19
You lot are soooo funny. (Boys/Men)

I vote for one unisex magazine, with reversable full nude centrefolds, chick on one side, guy on the other.

Funniest part about that is guys who are in the industry are generally gay and while that doesn't bother me cause it's just perving........:buggerd:

Goblin
23rd August 2006, 09:31
Couple of links that may be of assistance (not used them... obviously, so can't vouch for them):

http://www.girlsbike2.com/

http://www.ladybiker.co.uk/

Hope these are useful,

Bob
Thanks Bob! This is what I have been looking for! I havn't found anything here for small womens gear. No one here seems to want our money so I will spend mine in the UK.:yes: NZ needs a shop or two like this. All the Kiwi suppliers only cater for men and cant be bothered getting smaller gear in so that's their loss!

The_Dover
23rd August 2006, 09:37
Hey Gobbling,

Jaison at Motostyle can get Joe Rocket gear in and I'm sure they do loads of stuff for the bitches. Give him a call.

Hein Gericke in Europe do a load of chicks stuff too.

Rashika
23rd August 2006, 10:05
Thanks Bob! This is what I have been looking for! I havn't found anything here for small womens gear. No one here seems to want our money so I will spend mine in the UK.:yes: NZ needs a shop or two like this. All the Kiwi suppliers only cater for men and cant be bothered getting smaller gear in so that's their loss!

check out 'essexbikercentre' on the web or ebay, Goblin. They are UK based, not cheap to get stuff sent, but not bad if you get a couple of things together
They have a lot of womens clothing, i.e leathers especially.
Ebay is a wonderful thing :love:

Goblin
23rd August 2006, 10:11
check out 'essexbikercentre' on the web or ebay, Goblin. They are UK based, not cheap to get stuff sent, but not bad if you get a couple of things together
They have a lot of womens clothing, i.e leathers especially.
Ebay is a wonderful thing :love:
Cheers Rashika! My brother lives in the UK and Ive just emailed him the stuff I want. Shoulda thought of it years ago.

Hitcher
23rd August 2006, 10:15
At least the publishers didn't call it Stroke...

Bend-it
23rd August 2006, 10:17
Is the mag available in NZ? Might pick one up and leave for the Mrs to read..

SDU
23rd August 2006, 12:35
Please?
:drool:
As long as they leave some bike to drawl over of course:whistle:

Great something for us Gals!
As long as they remember we don't all like pink & tassles it'll be alright.

mstriumph
23rd August 2006, 13:34
personally, when i read a bike review i want it to be by the person best able to do the review ........ i don't care if they are male, female or a little pink bunny wabbit from alpha centuri

trouble with anything like this is that GENDER becomes the primary qualification/ consideration ............. my 2c

Velox
23rd August 2006, 19:11
Gotta say I find this a bit weird though: "The reason I wanted to launch the mag is because there doesn’t seem to be any magazines available to women. I know lots of women read the magazines available on the shelves at the moment, but they don’t seem to cater much for the female variety!"
Surely a bike is a bike right? And women read bike mags to read about bikes.

Anyway, it'll be cool to see what they put in - women's bike gear and stuff.

ogr1
24th August 2006, 06:46
Be careful guys, the next time you go bike hunting, it could have a sticky for sale sign and "women riders only" plastered all over it :dodge:

ogr1
24th August 2006, 06:50
[QUOTE=Rashika;728185] Bollocks...

See..... my point excactly, you felines don't have any :laugh: :lol:

Rashika
24th August 2006, 06:59
Gotta say I find this a bit weird though: "The reason I wanted to launch the mag is because there doesn’t seem to be any magazines available to women. I know lots of women read the magazines available on the shelves at the moment, but they don’t seem to cater much for the female variety!"
Surely a bike is a bike right? And women read bike mags to read about bikes.

Anyway, it'll be cool to see what they put in - women's bike gear and stuff.
yeah I do look at mags to read about bikes, but also gear to use on bikes, clothing to wear, all sorts of stuff.... which is GENERALLY not aimed at women, but at the blokes they assume are on the front. Why would a women want full leathers with protectors? They are only on the back right? ...I am kidding a little but you get my point :innocent:
And it would be nice not to have to get past all the advertising encased with big boobs and long legs just to see a product, wouldn't it be nice if the product was actually so good it could sell itself huh? :yes:

Bollocks...

See..... my point excactly, you felines don't have any :laugh: :lol:

Exactly! ;)

Rashika
24th August 2006, 07:00
Be careful guys, the next time you go bike hunting, it could have a sticky for sale sign and "women riders only" plastered all over it :dodge:

I want one! :Punk:

ogr1
24th August 2006, 07:12
Thought you had one already?
Oh!... I forgot, those are blokes bikes.........only joking.

Now't against female riders, should be more of em I say.
Why can't they incorporate a female section in the bike mags?
I'm sure most editors would be sympathetic towards female readers and it would possibly increase mag sales.
From a blokes point of view, you could just flip the page over the article that does not interest you, but for the purist(s) amongst us that would be to simple.
Definately don't wan't to see blokes bearing their fat hairy arse on the cover either.

There are errrrrrrrrrrm......other mags out there for that.

Motu
24th August 2006, 07:56
Please?

I would never allow myself to be exploited in such a way....mind you,the money could come in handy...Oh,and by the way,in no way am I ''surgically enhanced'',I would never stoop to such tactics.Although photos of my younger self show certain parts of my anatomy to be considerably smaller,I have developed these atributes by a strict dietry regime,and at no small expence either!

Come on! - you guys moan about Kiwi Rider having two sections,and having to pay for stuff you don't read,imagine the complaints if they had THREE sections!