PDA

View Full Version : ZZR Clutch/ Neutral Problems

Grantasaurus
23rd August 2006, 19:49
Hi all,
I picked up my new acquisition last nite (a '92 ZZR 250), but now the bloody thing won't find neutral, which is a bit of an issue as I couldn't keep the thing alive to put my gear on while warming it up to go for a ride tonite. This didn't happen when test-riding it yesterday, nor on the way home. My repeated attempts to start it up after it died also killed the battery. Not cool.
Basically it will only continue to idle when I've got the clutch held in.
Also, when the bike is off, if I put it into 1st and hold the clutch in, I can no longer push the bike around.
Anyone know what is likely to be wrong with it? Or is it down to me just being a munter and not being able to find neutral?

bobsmith
23rd August 2006, 23:18
Hmmm that seems strange.....

What is suppose to happen, is that the zzr250's have some special thingiy... (yes I'm very articulate....) that means that you'll find it quite hard to find neutral when you're moving, but when you're stopped, and you're in 1st, kick up from 1st should get you right in neutral without going into second (only if you're stopped)....

Sorry that's about all I can help with...

Gremlin
24th August 2006, 11:08
When stationary, you should be able to get neutral and first only. It won't allow you to get second. Kawasaki trick... not that bad, if you know its there.

Some bikes can have trouble finding neutral when they get hot, but I never did on my zzr250. When slowing to a stop, you should be able to get to neutral from first or second, but I always found it easier from first.

You can hit neutral when riding if the gearbox oil is old, or you try to shift too fast, and you release the clutch while still in the middle of the gear change.

If this is your first bike, then perhaps you aren't familiar with how gearboxes work etc, but from the sounds of it, the bike has problems...

Grantasaurus
24th August 2006, 11:31
I was a munter, found that the reason the motor kept dying as soon as I released the clutch (even when the neutral light was shining) was the side-stand kill switch. I still had the stand down. Sometimes I can be such a dumbass....

avgas
24th August 2006, 11:36
I know this sounds stupid but here are some thoughts that ive picked up from bikes:
a) Kill switch on
b) Side stand down
c) Can you change 1st, N, 2nd with the bike off - using the clutch?
d) Is the clutch cable ok? Is it moving a lever next to the gearbox/motor?

avgas
24th August 2006, 11:38
Sweet as, dont worry bout me post den