PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung GT250R hydraulic lock

forkoil
23rd August 2006, 20:01
A friend of mine bought the bike (thru Trademe) and had it transported from Timaru to Auckland. On delivery, I turned it over and the engine went about half a turn then made a very nasty bang and stopped. :angry: Engine locked solid, in gear and push, back wheel wont budge. Another push of the starter and nothing. Removed tank, airbox and plugs, in gear and push, petrol pisses out of front cylinder.
Now these have no petrol tap (like all modern bikes), so how did the gas get into the front cyl? My guess is the diaphram thingy that dispenses the gas may leak when the bike is vibrated (as during the journey in the back of the truck).
Also, do you think that the power of the starter motor would have been enough to damage conrod, big or little end bearings, crank etc?

Brett
23rd August 2006, 20:53
Happened to my cousins CBR when he low sided it, and one of the pistons fille dup with fuel and thus hydraulically locked the engine.

Remove the spark plugs, and turn the motor over to drain excess fuel, and then put them back over and try and crank it over a few times, should fire up .
Chances are that the bike was laid/stowed on its side at some point and thus fuel ran into the piston.

SwanTiger
23rd August 2006, 21:00
If there is a fuel leak then you need to order a whole new fuel system $130 NZD with a 1 - 2 week wait from Korea as Kawasaki don't usually have them in stock, if they do $130 and 1 days wait from Otahuhu.

It seems to be a common thing that the vaccum operated petcock valve becomes faulty allowing fuel to flow when it shouldn't.

If it isn't that, then it'll be what Brett mentioned, in which case name the shipping company so we know which one to avoid!

Shit happens.

forkoil
24th August 2006, 09:23
With the tank on the bench, I noticed that if I tapped the diaphragm unit, it dripped gas, so I suspect you are right, it is crewed. Maybe it is slightly more sensitive than most. Maybe its just got a bit of grit in it, and could be cleaned out?

Also the bike is less than a year old. Does the warranty transfer to a second owner?

SwanTiger
24th August 2006, 09:53
With the tank on the bench, I noticed that if I tapped the diaphragm unit, it dripped gas, so I suspect you are right, it is crewed. Maybe it is slightly more sensitive than most. Maybe its just got a bit of grit in it, and could be cleaned out?
Are you able to post a picture of where exactly it is leaking from?

I've read about a few different cases and had my own problem with a different part of the fuel system. I can't quite understand how it happens, although the mechanic that worked on mine suggested it was the shitty fuel we have in NZ with all the additives.

One thing that does seem to be common is that it happens when the bike is "hot" after a long/hard ride and then stored somewhere cold/damp, the other is that the problem occurs after transportation.

Who knows?

Post a picture anyway if you can.

Also the bike is less than a year old. Does the warranty transfer to a second owner?
I think so, do you still have the warranty book just incase?

As far as I'm aware, the general 'warranty' period in New Zealand is either 10,000km or 1 year from purchase date. However, I don't know if it is transferrable as I've read under differering circumstances you can/can't.

forkoil
24th August 2006, 14:20
The fuel leaks out of the usual fuel exit pipe of the tap, and therefore flooded thru the carbs and into the front cylinder where it formed a hydraulic lock when I tried to start it. Of course the 'tap' shouldnt pass any fuel unless there is vacuum from the vacuum hose which connects the inlet manifold to the tap, so fuel only passes when the motor is running creating vacuum in the inlet manifold. But this passes fuel even when not running (in particular when it was being transported by truck up from the Sth Island).