PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spinning while in neutral

Hairy Buffalo
23rd August 2006, 23:10
Hey Guys I'm new to the forums, but I have a ZZR250 1990 which when it is in neutral the rear wheel starts to spin. I was wondering if this means the clutch is on the way out or if the chain may be to tight. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks The Hairy One
Andrew

98tls
23rd August 2006, 23:15
Hey Guys I'm new to the forums, but I have a ZZR250 1990 which when it is in neutral the rear wheel starts to spin. I was wondering if this means the clutch is on the way out or if the chain may be to tight. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks The Hairy One
Andrew Cant see it having anything to do with the chain but maybe your clutch isnt fully releasing which would suggest worn plates/steels....not sure on your bike but if it has cable clutch try adjusting worm drive...

Wasp
23rd August 2006, 23:26
ive been having issues with mine too, not releasing properly - its so much harder to move it in gear with the clutch in than in neautral

i played with the cable abit but all it seems ive managed to do is make it slip more when i twist on the gas (which my bike shouldnt have the torque to do...)

SuperDave
23rd August 2006, 23:27
My rear will spin at 3 kp/h when in neutral and up on the stand. I don't think this is a problem because I havn't had any problems with my clutch slipping and the spinning in neutral has been like this since I bought the bike.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

SuperDave
23rd August 2006, 23:30
Actually coming to think of I havn't even adjusted or tinkered with my clutch settings since having the bike. Surely if my clutch wasn't fully releasing I would notice a loss of power or a sorta sluggish feel to acceleration?

Jantar
23rd August 2006, 23:32
Its nothing to do with the clutch. With the bike in neutral and the clutch engaged I would be more concerned if the clutch WAS releasing.

No, its simply that bikes generally use a constant mesh rather than a synchromesh gearbox, In theory, when the bike is in neutral there is no conection between the drive and driven shafts, but the clearance is very small and there is oil between the cogs. It is simply the oil that is dragging the driven cogs and driven shaft. You will probably notice that it happens more when the oil is cold than when it is hot.

It is nothing to worry about.

98tls
23rd August 2006, 23:34
Actually coming to think of I havn't even adjusted or tinkered with my clutch settings since having the bike. Surely if my clutch wasn't fully releasing I would notice a loss of power or a sorta sluggish feel to acceleration?

IFits only doing it on the paddock/center stand forget it....theres nothing wrong...i thought he meant it was dragging all the time.

Wasp
23rd August 2006, 23:43
mine was actually quite hard to move (literly stiff) when in first, so like i said i played with it and got it to move better (not perfect but better) but now it slips sometimes when i accelerate semi hardish

any ideas? ive had the bike in the shop twice recently and asked them to check the clutch with no results...

98tls
23rd August 2006, 23:47
mine was actually quite hard to move (literly stiff) when in first, so like i said i played with it and got it to move better (not perfect but better) but now it slips sometimes when i accelerate semi hardish

any ideas? ive had the bike in the shop twice recently and asked them to check the clutch with no results... Cable or Hydraulic clutch?

Finn
24th August 2006, 00:04
Jantar is right. Nothing to worry about.

My Honda Superbike has the same problem. On the race stand, in first with the clutch engaged, it does about 130 kph at idle. You could argue that this is not normal but after all it is the most powerful superbike on planet earth.

Wasp
24th August 2006, 00:05
cable, im not too sure where i should adjust it (at engine or lever) either ie i dont know what screwing it in/unscrewing it at which end will do what

merv
24th August 2006, 08:24
Sounds like a good connection to Boi Racers here - they might say "no officer I can't possibly have been wheelspinning (described as breaking traction in the law) because my super duper turbo whatever was still in neutral".

As far as the bike goes though, the guys have said it all above - its nothing to do with the clutch or the chain, just a bit of drag in the gearbox and it is normal.

Motig
24th August 2006, 09:51
I guess the test between nothing to worry about and a problem would be if you have it in neutral and are sitting on it, it doesn't take off without you. If it does its a problem.

bugjuice
24th August 2006, 21:30
my bike spins the rear wheel at 3-4kph.. after an oil change it can be up to 12kph..

the faster it spins, the better the lubrication is working. If it doesn't spin, or not too much, then there's resistance. The Resistaaaance is bad.. saps power. nothing to worry about at all..

If the clutch wasn't letting go properly in gear, the engine would rev up, and the speed wouldn't change much.. Another clue of a clutch giving up (besides spin) is it gets kinda heavy. Also, lube the clutch cable every 6 months too. Makes it so much easier to use!

Hairy Buffalo
24th August 2006, 21:49
Thanks guys for the info. Every new to the bike world and was not to sure if it was normal or not but that clears it up.

Thanks Andrew
The Hairy One