PDA

View Full Version : Clutch sticking on cold mornings?

Dinga
24th August 2006, 08:39
I have a 1989 ZXR250A, 31000k's. On cold mornings the bike uses a lot of choke to get started (usual), i allow the bike to warm up for 5min. When i put it in 1st and try to let out the clutch it kills the revs INSTANTLY and cuts the engine. I have to do this 3 or 4 times before the clutch engages without killing my revs. I suspect my clutch plates become mildly sluck together in cold/damp weather. Anyone know about this problem? Possible solutions?

Motig
24th August 2006, 09:45
Would giving it a push while in gear free it up perhaps. Then put it out of gear, start it up and see what happens. I vaguely recollect something like that had to be done to old triumphs to free them up.

Dinga
24th August 2006, 09:52
Thanks I'll try that when I ride next. Makes sense!

Masterchop
24th August 2006, 09:56
Try a different weight gearbox oil,the oil is probably to heavy on the cold mornings.

bobsmith
24th August 2006, 09:56
When's the last time you changed the oil? what grade? and how cold does it usually get?

It could be that the weather is too cold for the oil you're using or the oil is realy really old.....

Dinga
24th August 2006, 21:47
The engine oil was replaced 40kms ago so is brand new. Perhaps my bike sittting out in the weather under a cover in christchurch is not a good idea, especially those frosty mornings. Cheers guys

JimO
25th August 2006, 06:55
its a Kawasaki thing mine does it as well 93 zr750 i bought a old two wheels mag that has a review of my bike on tard me when it was new and they mentioned it as well ...give the clutch a few pumps and give it a rev with the front brake on when you drop it in 1st

Grinner
26th August 2006, 11:26
Probably an oil problem. Outside in Christchurch its probably getting down to 0 degrees. Summers not that far away but suggest next winter you try a lower viscosity oil grade.

smokeyging
26th August 2006, 11:47
i could be very wrong here, but i was always lead to believe that usually a sticking clutch was due to oil getting in the clutch houseing and onto the clutch? the oil acts like a glue and won't let the clutch away from the pressure plate. i take it your clutch cable adjustments are ok?

Dinga
26th August 2006, 17:12
Probably an oil problem. Outside in Christchurch its probably getting down to 0 degrees. Summers not that far away but suggest next winter you try a lower viscosity oil grade.

Yeah its more like -4°C, will think about a lowe grade oil next winter, as for the summer months.. i will require the current higher grade oil.

NinjaBoy
26th August 2006, 20:20
its a Kawasaki thing mine does it as well 93 zr750 i bought a old two wheels mag that has a review of my bike on tard me when it was new and they mentioned it as well ...give the clutch a few pumps and give it a rev with the front brake on when you drop it in 1st

Its not just old Kawaka's. My 636 has a similar problem and it sits in a garage in warmer Aucks. I let it warm up and give the clutch a few pumps to get the oil circulating. Also had the mechanic put a few extra holes through the basket to let the oil circulate through the plates better.

Its a lot better now but if its been outside overnight it sometimes stalls from the drag from the oil etc...

Posh Tourer :P
27th August 2006, 00:42
i could be very wrong here, but i was always lead to believe that usually a sticking clutch was due to oil getting in the clutch houseing and onto the clutch? the oil acts like a glue and won't let the clutch away from the pressure plate. i take it your clutch cable adjustments are ok?

I think that only applies to cars and tractors like my BM that have dry clutches...... Most bikes have a wet clutch so i presume that would not be a problem....

Dinga
29th August 2006, 17:41

Tryed this today. Seemed to do the job. Can't imagine it is too good for the g/box though

JimO
29th August 2006, 20:05
Tryed this today. Seemed to do the job. Can't imagine it is too good for the g/box though

dont worry they are still making gearboxes

:third: