PDA

View Full Version : Clutch trouble..?

toymachine
24th August 2006, 15:39
I'm going to head to a mechanic on the weekend, but was wondering if anyone could lend an opinion first..

Basically, seems my clutch is on the out... can feel the bike wanting to ease forward (slightly) in first with the clutch in... idling in first just sitting still stalls it (not sure if this is 100% of the time)... and basically it's a bit hairy trying to take off (partly my newbieness).

But if anyone could give an idea what these symptoms could mean it'd be much apreciated.

Postie
24th August 2006, 15:49
try adjusting your clutch cable, there should be a little bit of free play before the clutch cable starts to get tight.
Its not often you should need to do a clutch on a bike like that unless you have been racing it or slipping the clutch too much on take off.
Look at the clutch cable and make sure its adjusted correctly, has sufficient lube and its not stretched or frayed, once you are 100% sure the cable is cookie, then start looking at the clutch frictions.

vifferman
24th August 2006, 15:49
Sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging properly. When you pull the clutch lever in, you're pulling against the tension of the springs that push the plates together, and pushing the plates away from one another. What's happening here is that with the lever in, the plates are still rubbing on one another.
Either your cable is badly stretched, your lever just needs adjusting, or something else is wrong with the actuation.

Alternatively, the plates could be warped and rubbing on one another (unlikely) or the clutch basket (that the plates float in) has broken or very grubby tangs, so the plates are binding on it.

Start with the simplest thing first (adjustment, cable, lever, etc), then take it to a doctor.

Wasp
24th August 2006, 16:02
my bike also started doing this, so far ive adjusted the cable and its better, not perfect but better BUT now i have the other end of the problem, when i whip the throttle around it slips (and it shouldnt do that).

if someone could post what adjusting it at each end does that'd be great

i.e. undoing bolt at lever does this doing it up does that - undoing bolt at engine does this, doing it up does that

MikeyG
24th August 2006, 17:38
i.e. undoing bolt at lever does this doing it up does that - undoing bolt at engine does this, doing it up does that

Normally manuals suggest you adjust the clutch at the engine end and use the bolt/adjuster at the lever for fine-tuning.

Tip: unscrew the adjuster at the lever a few turns before adjusting at the engine so you have room to fine tune in both directions not only one.

Personally I find it easier to just adjust at the lever. Screwing the adjuster into the lever will help Wasp while screwing the adjuster out of the lever will help Toymachine. There should be 2-4mm free play at the handlebar lever before the lever on the clutch housing starts to move.

toymachine
24th August 2006, 19:40
Just had Maverick over (thanks heaps!) and Fubar dropped round too...

Adjusted it, and i'm liking the new bite position. Will keep an eye on it to see if there appears to be a deeper problem... have to get my handlebars recentered too, it was picked up they'ed slid across a bit from when I dropped it this morning. Hopefully won't cost much.

Motig
26th August 2006, 09:38
Probably a bit late for this but you should be able to do the bars yourself. Just loosen the 2 bar clamps, slide bar over into position and tighten.