PDA

View Full Version : TLS Dying?

tl_tub
28th August 2006, 17:19
I was in masterton yesterday, and after giving the bike a bit of a wind up I stopped for a coffee. After 30minutes or so I jumped back onto the bike to head back to Wellington. A new noise had appeared. It sounds like a metal on metal slaping, and is well loud enough to hear over the exhaust.
The noise sounds as if its coming from around the steering head area. I have recently taken the top tripple clamp off and replaced the seal, however i cannot find any movement in the forks.
Does it sounds like a major bearing in the engine has started to distroy itself?

The bike has just on 100,000kms on the clock and the camchains and tensioners were done around 3000kms ago.

Help?

98tls
28th August 2006, 17:28
Hard to say without hearing it mate......is it losing power?drop the oil and see what comes out with it.

tl_tub
28th August 2006, 17:58
Power still seems to be good, but i cant be sure as i dont do any high speed stuff. I guess i shouldnt ride it till i know, so yeah, ill drop the oil tonight

6.40pm: Have just dropped the oil. I cant feel anything it in, but will let it settle then pour it out to see what is left behind.

cowpoos
28th August 2006, 19:03
go check if ya brake pads have heaps of meat on them....both sides of the pad....failing that....give it to me and go buy a new bike :)

tl_tub
28th August 2006, 19:32
Well, there were a few flakes in the oil, with this being the biggest. its a copper color on both sides and looks a little rounded.
Photo taken on a paper towl, so you can see the size of the dots. Maybe the flake is 1-2mm in size?
Sorry, it was hard taking such a closeup photo in the evening

Dak
28th August 2006, 20:15
unfortunatly that doesn't look good, looks like bearing material, get the oil pressure checked ASAP before more damage is done.

TLDV8
28th August 2006, 20:16
Is the noise there when the bike is idling ?...... On a TL the main concern is any kind of internal noise that appears while accelerating..ie conrod under load.If it was a conrod bearing going,i doubt you would have got from Masterton to Wellington.Once the copper is exposed on a bearing shell,the next thing is heat and knock,knock.... You might want to raise the frontend/rear etc to eliminate the chassis first.

Sensei
28th August 2006, 20:24
Drop the sump off the bike Brent that will tell you what ya need to now as all the shit will be sitting in the bottom of it . Don't ride till you have done this as by ya Picture it doesn't look to nice . Looks like apiece of Big end shell !

tl_tub
28th August 2006, 20:25
Cant find any movement in front end, however as cowpoos says, pads getting low and make quite a racket when the wheel is moved back and forth.. I have a spare set so will throw them in and see if it makes any difference tomorrow.
Original oil added back to the bike, minus small flakes
:angry:
The bike idles nicely, and revving up to 5k makes no funny sounds, though i could have sworn today, maybe it did

Anyone know of a TLR engine for sale??

TLDV8
28th August 2006, 20:26
TL1000 cases have no removable sump...so you are saying no noise at idle,only while moving.?

Sensei
28th August 2006, 20:27
If it was a conrod bearing going,i doubt you would have got from Masterton to Wellington.Once the copper is exposed on a bearing shell,the next thing is heat and knock,knock....

I road my T509 Speedtriple for 5000ks with no White metal or cooper on 3 Bigend's but Triumphs have Bloody good Nitrated Cranks .

tl_tub
28th August 2006, 20:28
TL1000 cases have no removable sump...so you are saying no noise at idle,only while moving.?

Thats correct.. If im riding along with gradually increasing revs, or stable revs i dont get the noise. And sounds just as normal at idle

Sensei
28th August 2006, 20:28

Then ya fucked ! Pull it out . There will be no load on the Rods at idle

tl_tub
28th August 2006, 20:40
Then ya fucked ! Pull it out . There will be no load on the Rods at idle

Would the engine not vibrate more if there was a problem with the internals? I rode up the gorge today with my hand on the side, feeling for anything while it was making the noise, but nothing at all

cowpoos
28th August 2006, 20:48
give dave andersons a call in masterton.... a theres a mechanic there that knows TLs really well.... his names shane I think.... 06 3700033
ask him a few questions....he won't mind....

tl_tub
28th August 2006, 21:17
thanks cows.

just took it for a hoon around the block, no helmet to further diagnose.. was just trying to apply brakes to see if that was what was making the noise, but i wasnt able to tell. i will take it to work tomorrow, and all will become clear on the ride up ngauranga gorge :)

Sensei
28th August 2006, 21:33
Would the engine not vibrate more if there was a problem with the internals? I rode up the gorge today with my hand on the side, feeling for anything while it was making the noise, but nothing at all

Mine didn't in the Triumph just had a Funny ticking sound when loaded up with power or you could do it by holding on the front brake as if to do a burn out but got the bike to the point just before tyre let go & you could hear it rattle also . Get it to a shop .

tl_tub
28th August 2006, 21:48
Cant afford to take it to a shop.. Trying to buy a house *sigh*

Sensei
28th August 2006, 21:59
Oh well put it in the shed till ya have enought $$$$$$$ to fix . As riding it will be doing it no good at this stage of things !

tl_tub
28th August 2006, 22:11
Haha, onto problem two, its my only form of transport since i sold the pajero.. *sigh* :angry:

tl_tub
29th August 2006, 21:09
Im dropping the engine out on friday. For those that are interested, this is where copper colored flakes come from! Big end bearings (not a picture of mine, found on tlzone.net)