PDA

View Full Version : Removing piston

Squiggles
28th August 2006, 18:04
Right, well turned out my gn's piston is screwed, huge crack through it. i've got a good condition 2nd hand one to replace it with but im stuck when it comes to getting the bolt bit out that holds the piston on, i've taken off the circlips on either side (2 total) and cant pull or push the pin out... manual says to use a piston removal tool... but i dont intend to buy one just for this

any suggestions as to how i can get it out???

Squiggles
28th August 2006, 18:52
yeah, i've got a new pin for it, tried just tapping it but no luck

Madness
28th August 2006, 18:56
You might have to heat the piston. Bernzomatic type gas torches are relatively cheap these days at around $100, make good fire-lighters too.

TLDV8
28th August 2006, 20:30
Do as XTC says but you need to support the piston but not put undue pressure on the lower conrod bearing.If it has case studs you can put a suitable thickness piece of wood between the piston (below the pin) and studs.A simple paint stripper heat gun would be enough to warm the piston for expansion.

FROSTY
29th August 2006, 22:41
That all seems a bit too hard for me. I get a decent G clamp and a 10mm socket.Take the rings off and just start the G clamp squeezing the little end out. Once its started it shoud get easier

willy_01
30th August 2006, 10:28
Eek i would not recommends hitting a piston that’s still connected to the rod with a hammer :shutup: you could find your self in all sorts of trouble. Like frosty says use a G cramp + a socket that is around the same size (a wee bit smaller) than the wrist pin and one that is bigger and push it through, its a lot safer, and easier i promise :yes:

HDTboy
30th August 2006, 12:44
You could soak a rag in boiling water then wrap it around the piston, sometimes this expands things sufficiently to get the pin out.

Disclaimer: If you burn yourself with the hot water I don't want to know

Squiggles
30th August 2006, 23:04
That all seems a bit too hard for me. I get a decent G clamp and a 10mm socket.Take the rings off and just start the G clamp squeezing the little end out. Once its started it shoud get easier

winnah! :rockon:
did that instead of trying the expansion method

many thanks guys :2thumbsup
now to just put it back together!