PDA

View Full Version : WTF Curses Reving stalling *mutters*

Ghost Lemur
31st August 2006, 10:52
Need some diagnostic help.

Riding to work this morning, everything was right with the world.

Noticed that as I was changing gears (up) the engine was slightly over reving. Thought it was just because I'm a novice and my gear change technique could do with some work.

Bit further down the road, all of a sudden the bike just revs itself to hell, calms back down and stalls.

Pulled over, gave it a kick and proceeded on my way. Bit further down to road it did it again. Long story short, I ended up having to run my bike the last 500m to work as I was late.

Can anyone help with suggestions as to what could be going on. Went down during my break and she started fine, reved her a bit and nothing but normal.

Thoughts?

Other tidbits which may or may not be useful in figuring out whats wrong...

I've been having to leave the chock on to ride, even though my routine naturally leads to warming up the bike before hoping on. If I close the chock the bike stalls.

While it was happening it seemed to associated with me clutching in, to the lights for example.

My ideas (based on my nonexistant technical knowledge), throttle cable? Clutch? Dirty fuel? It's possessed? Something related to the chock?

bobsmith
31st August 2006, 11:14
sounds like something blocking the fuel supply (it goes lean, engine revs up, then gets too lean and stalls) and I think that's why leaving the chock on keeps it going......

check your fuel filter and make sure there's fuel in the tank... perhaps crap in the tank? are all fuel lines in good shape and no fuel line pinched?

paturoa
31st August 2006, 11:16
First thoughts are that it is starving for gas, starts running lean (hence revs up) and the dies as runs out of gas.

Is it a vaccum actuated petcock or a manual one?

**R1**
31st August 2006, 11:16
sounds like it running out of gas, most 2 strokes I have had rev their nuts off as the run out of gas, blocked/twisted fuel line would be my guess...

Ixion
31st August 2006, 12:02
It's running lean. that's what makes it rev (and accounts for the choke). Why it's lean ? Blocked jet? Ruptured diaphragm if you have one . Water in the fuel. Fuel blockage. Out of petrol. Foreign body in the tank. Dirt in the fuel. Air leak in the induction system. Shot crankcase seals Maybe others.

Motu
31st August 2006, 12:40
I had the exact same thing happen on my DT230 when I first got it.I couldn't figure out what was going on as I was confused about which way the choke worked (most of my other bikes the lever is pushed down,the DT you pull the lever up) So it would only run with the lever up,which is choke on...once I finally figured that out I could fix it.

A blocked idle jet,you'll need to strip the carb to clean it.But I didn't - I think they built the bike around the carb,it's very hard to remove.So,I pulled out the slide and needle,removed idle mixture screw (careful of the spring!) and float bowl drain.Then using cans of carb clean,compressed air and 2 bottles of beer I managed to clear the obstruction....and just in time too,as my next tool of choice would of rendered the bike totaly useless.

Ghost Lemur
31st August 2006, 12:54
:stupid:

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to post in a public forum.

Thanks for all your help guys. Looks like I'd not so much run out of gas (as there was a bit in there, hense I didn't consider it being a possibility), but didn't turn it to reserve.

Just went down at during my break. Rode it to the petrol station, it overreved once. Filled up and rode back to work sweet as. The ride home will be the true test that that is all it was.

Will look into the suggestions relating to the choke issue as that still causes me some concern.

imdying
31st August 2006, 18:38
If you find it has shit in the carb (which seems unlikely at this stage), remember to change the fuel filter :yes:

Ghost Lemur
31st August 2006, 20:58
Well I made it home.

It's hard as I'm sure how much of what I hear the bike do or think is going wrong is a combination of paranoia, being a novice and never having owned a two stoke. and how much is actually needing to be looked at.

Wish they'd produced at Haynes manual for my bike. Surprised there wasn't one considering how popular they were in the UK grey market.

Makes the prospect of doing engine work somewhat scary.

Might have see if I can find a mechanical mentor down here.