PDA

View Full Version : What is the the thin little ring that came with my piston and ring kit?

Coyote
2nd September 2006, 10:45
As the title suggests

Jantar
2nd September 2006, 10:50
Without more information its hard to say. It could be a wrist pin circlip, but I'd expect there to be two of them. Are you sure its not the piston ring?

Deano
2nd September 2006, 10:50
As the title suggests

Gudgeon pin circlip ? Should be two though shouldn't there ?

Motu
2nd September 2006, 11:06
Condom ring?

More information,or a picture....

TLDV8
2nd September 2006, 11:35
Some oil scraper rings have a thin corrugated expander behind them ?

Some two stroke pistons have spacers on the gudgeon pin, each side of the conrod little end ?

Maybe they are those nasty old spacer's for worn piston ring lands.

Something like this,folk call parts by various names.. and no the parts are from two bikes..TL1000 and 1968 Husqvarna (Circlip)

Coyote
2nd September 2006, 12:34
Sorry for being a bit vague. It was the 2nd ring spacer. I found out from Mac at maidstone yamaha what it was (and ordered some powervalve parts). The manual I have for the bike didn't explain anything about the piston other than use a screwdriver to scrape off the soot which is why I asked on here to begin with. Anyway, piston is on and the barrel is back on and it all looks good. It turns over smoothly using the kickstart with your hand.

By the way, think I know what the performance problem was. Now I'm obviously no expert on engines, but I'm pretty sure a crack halfway down the piston wall is not a good thing, isn't it? Also the wall crumbled in my hands, luckily it didn't do that in the engine

Skunk
2nd September 2006, 16:27
Is it a two smoker? If the piston crumbled it's been running lean/hot for a while. Better fix that or you'll be doing the piston again.

Buddha#81
2nd September 2006, 18:50
In TLDV8's attached picture the compression rings appear to be different, Im about to put my bucket back togeather using a TKRJ piston/ring set and the comp rings are the same as in the photo (one appears to be a composite comp ring. My problem is which way around do you put them.:scooter:

TLDV8
2nd September 2006, 20:00
The TL1000 has a dykes top ring so it will only go in the top ring groove.
As a rule the top ring is a moly or chrome faced (shiney) since it is the first to with stand combustion heat .. The second ring being iron so easy to spot... Markings/letters on the ring ends go up as a rule.

Did you check the piston Squish ?

Coyote
2nd September 2006, 22:06
Is it a two smoker? If the piston crumbled it's been running lean/hot for a while. Better fix that or you'll be doing the piston again.

That doesnt sound good at all. The temp gauge is broken so i cant tell how hot it runs. As far as i know RGs run too cold. My bike came with a 3rd of its radiator taped up. And excuse my ignorance, but I'm not entirely sure what lean and rich mean. Lean is too little oil to the amount of fuel, rich is the opposite right?

Ixion
2nd September 2006, 22:13
Lean and rich specifically relate to the ratio of petrol to air. Too lean means not enough petrol for the amount of air. Makes a very hot combustion, that can melt stuff, and detonation. Too rich is too much petrol not enough air, makes spark plugs foul up cos not all the perol can be burnt.

As you note, on a petroil two smoker, the amount of oil affects the rich/lean issue too. This is because the carb jets will allow a certain amount of liquid to flow through them. But if that liquid contains more OIL, then by definition it must contain less PETROL. So too much oil = lean .

Skunk
2nd September 2006, 23:12
Ixion explains it well. There are a lot of books on the subject. If you're planning on doing your own maintenance or tuning get one.

One I think is good is Two Stroke Performance Tuning by A. Graham Bell (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1859606199?v=glance)

What?
4th September 2006, 06:45
The TL1000 has a dykes top ring...

:gob: :gob: :shutup:

classic zed
4th September 2006, 07:26
:gob: :gob: :shutup:

but a Dykes Ring has absolutely nothing to do with lesbians (not in this instance) :nono:

It is actually an "L" shaped top ring on the piston:yes:

Motu
4th September 2006, 07:31
I thought the Dykes ring died out in the '70's.A few 2 strokes used them,but they were a one hit wonder and disapeared pretty quick.Have they risen from the ashes?

What?
5th September 2006, 20:27
but a Dykes Ring has absolutely nothing to do with lesbians (not in this instance) :nono:

It is actually an "L" shaped top ring on the piston:yes:

Sorry - couldn't help myself...
But like Motu, I thought Dykes rings were dim and distant history.