PDA

View Full Version : Water in the cylinder

Coyote
7th September 2006, 18:10
I imagine this is not a good thing

I got the bike back together this morning. Tried kicking it, then tried to hillstart but it just wouldn't go. Take the plug out to check if that was the problem and see it's drenched in radiator fluid (which was mainly water but it was slightly green from coolent still left in the system). Looking at the cylinder as I turned the motor over with the kickstart I saw water bubbling from the cylinder/crankcase gasket. I didn't tighten it enough and should've used locktite

So what's the best course of action? Pull the engine apart and dry everything (and paint everything black whilst I can)?

classic zed
7th September 2006, 18:30
Easiest thing to do is re-torque it and see what happens

Coyote
7th September 2006, 18:36
Easiest thing to do is re-torque it and see what happens
By torque it you mean tighten everything as much as possible? :p

I noticed water seeping out before taking the plug out. I imagines the pressure from the piston would only be forcing the water out so I tightened it up untill it stopped leaking. I continued to try kick it but it wouldn't go, then I checked the plug

classic zed
7th September 2006, 18:43
I gather you have had the engine apart, if so and its the head gasket leaking, try going over the bolts again one of them might be loose.

If there is water in the cylinder you will be very lucky to get it to fire, also if the head gasket is leaking the cooling system will "Pump" up when the engine is run and sometimes blow water out of the cap, when you switch the engine off the opposite happens, the pressure in the cooling system pushes water into the cylinder.

Coyote
7th September 2006, 19:37
I gather you have had the engine apart, if so and its the head gasket leaking, try going over the bolts again one of them might be loose.

If there is water in the cylinder you will be very lucky to get it to fire, also if the head gasket is leaking the cooling system will "Pump" up when the engine is run and sometimes blow water out of the cap, when you switch the engine off the opposite happens, the pressure in the cooling system pushes water into the cylinder.
I haven't had the whole engine part, just the top end. I tightened all the bolts and tried to start it before. Unfortunatly it wasn't the head gasket but it was the base gasket that's leaking so water I'm pretty sure how gone into the crankcase

TLDV8
7th September 2006, 21:20
This is a two stroke ?

Coyote
8th September 2006, 08:59
This is a two stroke ?
150cc Single Cylinder 2 Stroke

TLDV8
8th September 2006, 09:25
I guess you are familiar with how a two stroke works.
Piston goes up,fuel/air mixture is pulled into the lower crankcase via a port in the piston or direct port into the case.......Piston goes down,mixture then travels via the transfer ports up to combustion area.
If the head gasket let water into the upper cylinder chamber,it would simply run down the transfer ports into the crankcase when the piston uncovered them while kicking the engine over.If it is a reasonable amount of coolant,it would pay to remove it.You could check the bottom of the crankcase to see if there are any drain plugs or consider flipping the bike over with the fuel tank and sparkplug removed (Dirtbike style) then turn it over via the kickstart.
You still need to find out why the gasket did not seal.You might want to check/change the gearbox oil as coolant may have got past a crankshaft seal if the case had seen to higher pressure...fwiw

Coyote
8th September 2006, 10:48
I just got the bike going :D

I tightened everything up and it doesn't appear to leak. However I found what might have been the problem yesterday. Fuel wasn't connected :pinch: I turned the fuel on and I spilt about 3 bucks worth of petrol onto the road. And also the spark plug wasn't connected

There must be some element of truth to the dumb blonde stereotype. I've never done drugs

Sketchy_Racer
8th September 2006, 16:00
great to hear that the bike is going. Now go thrash it!